Buckingham Palace

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
So, long story short, I'm writing a YA novel about an alternate-universe British monarchy. I have a lot of scenes set in Buckingham Palace. The more official and ceremonial rooms in the palace are easy to research, but it's near impossible to find information regarding layout or anything about the private apartments. My guess would be that it's forgivable of me to make most of it up, seeing as no one really knows what the Queen's bedroom looks like and all.

Still... anyone have any insider sources or anything they could share? I would be much obliged.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I've been inside the gates, but not inside the walls. Sorry I can't help.

I would guess your best resource might be some of the 'royal watcher' blogs/websites/tabloids.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could try checking out Micky Fagan. He broke in and sat on the Queens bed and tried to blag a drink off her.

The news reports should give some details of how he got in, and how he found the queen's room and stuff like that.

I know someone who met him.
He said he just saw the window, and saw how he could get in, and thought 'why not?'
So he did.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Try here.

http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php?topic=4097.525

Scroll down and you'll find a plan of the bedrooms.
The front of the palace, where that balcony thing is, that's at the bottom of the plan.

They call the floors the 'principle floor and the bedroom floor'. I suspect these might be the first and second floors, because the ground floor has a passage way through to the centre from the Mall side, and I can't see that here.

I can't see the numbers very well, but maybe you can do better.

I see the corgis have their own room.

Obviously I can't say if this is at all accurate, but it's what I found.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
If it's alternate universe, does it have to look the way it does? You could even decide to use some other royal palace, like Kensington.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
but it's near impossible to find information regarding layout or anything about the private apartments.

There's a reason for that http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/july/9/newsid_2498000/2498731.stm

My guess would be that it's forgivable of me to make most of it up, seeing as no one really knows what the Queen's bedroom looks like and all.

Sure, and especially if it's an alternate world thing.

That said, I found these pics which should give you some idea, not sure how old they are, but I reckon things haven't changed all that much http://knowingtheroyals.wordpress.com/tag/queens-bedroom-at-buckingham-palace/

In fact, this particular page is very good - scroll down past the stuff about the Royal Wedding and there are lots of amazing pictures of the inside of the Palace that might be of interest to you.

http://knowingtheroyals.wordpress.com/?s=buckingham+palace

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Reaction score
The Queen and Queen Mother are well known for being Frugal, the carpets in the private areas are threadbare and the curtains moth eaten. The article below shows just how frugal the Queen Mother was, even down to having lines painted on the baths in the Palace so they didn't use too much water.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278901/Frugal-Queen-Mother-rented-TV-castle-retreat.html
It was George VI, her husband who did that -- and it was during the war.

I didn't realise water was rationed! :ROFL:

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The Queen and Queen Mother are well known for being Frugal, the carpets in the private areas are threadbare and the curtains moth eaten. The article below shows just how frugal the Queen Mother was, even down to having lines painted on the baths in the Palace so they didn't use too much water.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278901/Frugal-Queen-Mother-rented-TV-castle-retreat.html

I wouldn't use a single article in the Daily Mail for any important information. It's not the most reliable source.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a single article in the Daily Mail for any important information. It's not the most reliable source.

Agreed. It's mostly fiction or stories half made up and half sourced from an overheard conversation on the train.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The King and Queen would probably have obeyed the rationing laws anyway. For the sake of morale. Same reason they stayed in London during the Blitz when they could have buggered off to the country.

Reaction score
"I'm glad we've been bombed. I can look the East End in the face."

Oh sure, you gin-soaked old hag; you only had seventeen other castles to escape to.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score

I was purely using this as an example, believe me I am well aware of the Royal Families traits, I was a Royalty Protection Officer from 87 - 89.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! No, I wrote mostly about the environment, animal extinction, and a new idea which was creeping into the newsstands at the time. It was something called global warming and I was considered a nutjob for worrying about it.