PDA

View Full Version : Open Call for a New Small Press - Authors wanted [$0.002/word]

GoodMourning
12-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Megan Hansen. I just starting a small press named Good Mourning Publishing and the main objective is to encourage and support independent authors and artists. We're having an open call for "Accessible Love Stories." This is to be an anthology of short romantic fiction in which one of the love interests is in a wheelchair permanently.

Authors will retain the copyright to their work, receive $0.002 per word, and receive a free paperback copy of the book upon publication. The submission deadline is December 31, 2011.

General Submissions are always open.

Check out the site and please pass it along to anyone who might be interested! Thanks!
http://www.goodmourningpublishing.com/

Richard White
12-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Megan Hansen. I just starting a small press named Good Mourning Publishing and the main objective is to encourage and support independent authors and artists. We're having an open call for "Accessible Love Stories." This is to be an anthology of short romantic fiction in which one of the love interests is in a wheelchair permanently.

Authors will retain the copyright to their work, receive $0.002 per word, and receive a free paperback copy of the book upon publication. The submission deadline is December 31, 2011.

General Submissions are always open.

Check out the site and please pass it along to anyone who might be interested! Thanks!

Just asking for a clarification here.

Did you mean to type 2 cents a word or 2/100th of a cent a word?

3000 words would equal $60 with the former and 60 cents with the latter.

Thanks.

mirandashell
12-06-2011, 04:51 PM
I was wondering that meself....

zegota
12-06-2011, 07:50 PM

No offense, but you have some kind of NSFW images pop up as the very first thing on your blog. You might want to mark your link as NSFW, or possibly place those images under the jump. It's nothing super offensive, and I don't really care, personally, but it does sort of look unprofessional. Just my opinion.

I too am curious whether you're offering 2 cents or .2 cents. If it's the latter, you might be better off just saying that you can only offer contributor copies at the moment, or possibly giving a small share of royalties. .2 cents a word is pretty low, to the point where I'd probably just rather write for the publication credit than the few dollars I'd make.

BunnyMaz
12-06-2011, 07:57 PM
The $0.002 is repeated on their website, so I'm going to assume it's the actual payment. Might explain why the rate wasn't included in the subject line.

From here (http://www.goodmourningpublishing.com/)...

This is to be an anthology of short romantic fiction in which one of the love interests is in a wheelchair permanently.

Authors will retain the copyright to their work, receive $0.002 per word, and receive a free paperback copy of the book upon publication.

Submissions can be a maximum of 12,000 words. Diverse cultures, sexualities, ratings, themes, and plots welcome and encouraged.

Email your complete manuscript to submissions@goodmourningpublishing.com with the following information:

-Your Name
-Word Count
-Title
-One to two paragraph synopsis
-Short author biography

We will send a response within 48 hours.

Submission deadline: December 31, 2011

It seems like a shockingly low payment for any kind of work. At the maximum allowed word count of 12000 words, you'd be getting $24 for your work. Now, if royalties were a part of the package, I might be willing to consider it.

...I'm also not sure what's going on with the rest of the content on the website. O_o

zegota
12-06-2011, 08:03 PM
The $0.002 is repeated on their website, so I'm going to assume it's the actual payment. Might explain why the rate wasn't included in the subject line.

Well, I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt and just assume she copy pasted from the Call For Submissions -- so if it was an error there, it would be an error in her post too.

In any case, I agree with you that it's far too low. I'd much rather submit to a publication that flat out said they couldn't afford to pay than one with a token payment that low (~$20 for a 12,000 word short story, which is essentially a novelette at that point).

Richard White
12-06-2011, 09:09 PM
OK. We're not supposed to grouse about payment here.

I was asking for a clairification, not arguing about what the rate should be.

CaoPaux
12-06-2011, 09:23 PM
The $0.002 is repeated on their website, so I'm going to assume it's the actual payment. Might explain why the rate wasn't included in the subject line.To be fair, the thread was moved here from Networking. If/when we get clarification, I'll amend the title.

zegota
12-06-2011, 10:55 PM
OK. We're not supposed to grouse about payment here.

I was asking for a clairification, not arguing about what the rate should be.

You're right, I got off track. I apologize. I'd still like the clarification as well, though.

Invincibility
12-09-2011, 02:19 AM
We love love, so whether the pairs is male/female, male/male, or if the main characters are other-kin or cyborgs, we’d love to take a look at your manuscript.

What is with all of these ~inclusive~ publishing houses completely forgetting that lesbians exist? You'll mention otherkin and cyborgs, but not f/f pairings?

Unimportant
12-09-2011, 04:05 AM
F/f sells poorly compared to m/m and m/f, so a lot of publishers aren't interested in it.

Invincibility
12-09-2011, 04:19 AM
More like, f/f doesn't sell well because hardly any publishers print it.

Unimportant
12-09-2011, 05:14 AM
My understanding is that the publishers like Ellora's Cave who have published some f/f found it sold poorly, so gave it up.

What's the biggest reader market for m/f romance/romantica/erotica? Straights. There's lots of them, so it sells well.

What's the biggest reader market for m/m? Gay men and straight women. There's a few of the former and a lot of the latter, so it sells well.

What's the biggest reader market for f/f? Lesbians. There aren't many of them. And pretty much no one else reads f/f. There are quite a few lesbian small presses, but the vast majority of their titles only sell a few thousand copies at best.

regdog
12-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Getting a little sidetracked here

Arcadia Divine
12-12-2011, 04:01 AM
F/f sells poorly compared to m/m and m/f, so a lot of publishers aren't interested in it.

sort of off topic question: What does f/f, m/m, and m/f mean? I'm guessing the f = female and m = male, but I'm not completely sure.

Williebee
12-12-2011, 04:15 AM
Yup. You got it.

Arcadia Divine
12-12-2011, 04:28 AM
Ok, cool.

GoodMourning
01-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Anyone who posted and still paying attention, I'm so sorry for your unanswered questions! Submissions are now closed for this title, but to clear everything up I'll explain. The pricing originally posted is correct. This is Good Mournings first project and while we could not afford to pay much, we didn't want to offer nothing in return for a writers hard work.
The rate per word will be increased for the next planned anthology, so please keep us in mind if you’re looking for a home for your work.

What is with all of these ~inclusive~ publishing houses completely forgetting that lesbians exist? You'll mention otherkin and cyborgs, but not f/f pairings?

We happily encourage and accept any pairing, including f/f. There will be an f/f pairing in Accessible Love Stories :)

JoeSchmoe
01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I kind of have to agree on the NSFW blog issue. Most of the things posted there seem to have nothing to do with a publishing house and seem more suited to a 14-year old's Tumblr account than the blog of a start-up publishing business.

GoodMourning
01-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Thank you for your input Joe. We didn't want the website to be static and boring. We also wanted whatever is blogged to speak for what Good Mourning encourages and stands for. However I understand the NSFW concern and we're going to tone it down so that it won't be an issue.

thothguard51
01-10-2012, 07:35 AM
GM,

Please take no offense, but with the .002 pay, the author might as well give it away...free. That rate is rather insulting.

GoodMourning
01-10-2012, 07:41 PM
GM,

Please take no offense, but with the .002 pay, the author might as well give it away...free. That rate is rather insulting.
I'm aware it's a small amount of money, but I'm also not forcing anyone to submit their work. I have several authors who are giving their share away to charities, so no matter the amount it's going to a good cause.

MysteryRiter
01-18-2012, 06:59 AM
more suited to a 14-year old's Tumblr account
Offensive! :D
Sorry, just had to say that.

regdog
01-18-2012, 04:18 PM
GM,

MOD NOTE
One of the rules of the Paying Forum is not to criticize the pay rate.

Manuel Royal
01-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Just asking for a clarification here.

Did you mean to type 2 cents a word or 2/100th of a cent a word?

3000 words would equal $60 with the former and 60 cents with the latter.

Thanks.Just to clarify: that's 2/10 of a cent, not 2/100.

So, $6.00, not 60 cents (for a 3,000 word story).

Maryn
01-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Nobody told me there would be math.

Filigree
01-18-2012, 10:21 PM
There's always math. Driving down the freeway, calculating everyone's relative speeds and vectors? Math, though you don't realize it. A cheetah racing after a gazelle, the hunter's equation of effort vs gain strong in each mind? Math, of the most basic sort.

Same thing with markets, and the balance of pay and market credibility.

JoeSchmoe
01-20-2012, 10:33 AM

How is that offensive? I'm calling it like I see it, and posts like http://goodmourningpub.blogspot.com/2012/01/barcelonas-poblenou-cemetery.html and http://goodmourningpub.blogspot.com/2012/01/want.html really don't strike me as coming from a serious publishing company.
A. Most of this stuff is being submitted by one person. Who is "Christy Leigh Stewart" and why is she being given free reign and allowed to publish seemingly whatever she sees and likes on the internet on the publisher's blog?
B. What does 99 percent of any of the stuff posted there have to do with a publisher? I get that the blog shouldn't be static and boring, but really? To quote OrphicPixel.com,
Screen Clutter: This is usually the biggest newbie mistake we see. A fresh blog is like giving a kid some paper and crayons – they just go wild and draw all over the place. Most blog owners are the same and start including as many elements as they can on their pages and posts.
C. I'll change my wording to 'a personal tumblr account'.

Nexus
01-20-2012, 09:22 PM
I just checked out the blog. I've got to agree with some of the sentiments here. This is not a blog I'd expect from any respectable publisher.

I say this as a reader. I would not want to read their books after reading/seeing those pictures. Seems like a personal blog - and even then I'd be somewhat turned off by some of the content.

The one that strikes me as the most odd is a random picture of a guy in underwear reading a book with a caption to the effect of "I want"...

Imagine the opposite - of a woman in panties and a bra with the same caption. Still seems like a personal blog entry...

Manuel Royal
01-20-2012, 09:46 PM
more suited to a 14-year old's Tumblr account

How is that offensive?I can't speak for MysteryRiter, but I think he was making a joke based on the fact that, rather remarkably, he's only 14 himself.

Agreed about the blog; looks like a personal one, not professional. Some eccentric spelling, too.

MysteryRiter
01-21-2012, 03:15 AM
I can't speak for MysteryRiter, but I think he was making a joke based on the fact that, rather remarkably, he's only 14 himself.

That's it.
Sorry, but I thought the emoticon signaled that it was a joke. Guess not...

escritora
01-21-2012, 03:18 AM
That's it.

You're 14? Man, you're impressive. You carry yourself very well on this forum.

MysteryRiter
01-21-2012, 03:20 AM
You're 14? Man, you're impressive. You carry yourself very well on this forum.

Thanks. :) I try not to say too many dumb things but it does happen. Glad you haven't caught them yet. :D

JoeSchmoe
01-21-2012, 05:37 AM
I'm gonna agree with escritora. Mystery, you really don't present like other 14 year olds. Bravo. (now if other 14 year olds could be like you I would do a jig)

Silver-Midnight
01-21-2012, 11:24 AM
That's it.

I thought you much older than that. Wow. Plus you're published. Wow. I'm shocked. I'm not trying to sound offensive or anything at all.

MysteryRiter
01-21-2012, 05:54 PM
It's just a short story with an epublisher so it's not a big deal and I don't really consider myself "published", more like stuck in that unending in between. :)
We're also getting a little too off-topic now. PM me if you have anything else to say. :)

horrorshowjack
01-23-2012, 04:15 AM
More like, f/f doesn't sell well because hardly any publishers print it.

This argument makes no sense. If there's a strong demand for f/f, as proponents claim, then a scarcity of titles should result in higher average sales. Instead publishers routinely make the attempt out of inclusiveness, then give up when they can't sell enough to be profitable.

Nexus
01-23-2012, 04:25 AM
This argument makes no sense. If there's a strong demand for f/f, as proponents claim, then a scarcity of titles should result in higher average sales. Instead publishers routinely make the attempt out of inclusiveness, then give up when they can't sell enough to be profitable.

I wouldn't take it for a grain of salt. If you read Invincibility's other posts, you will understand why. And please don't immediately take offense, Invincibility. That's not an insult. Just pointing out that you are highly opinionated - and sometimes your responses are highly opinionated as well.