• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Wanted: British English Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamikuronue

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still working on revising my novella, so I don't particularly want a line-by-line edit from a beta at this stage; however, many of the characters in my story are British, and while I lived in the UK for a year, that's not nearly enough time to develop an ear for what might sound strange coming out of the mouth of a British person. So I'm looking for someone to read through and point out where the dialogue sounds off to them.

If there are glaring errors, I wouldn't mind some feedback along those lines, but I'm looking for a reasonably fast turnaround time rather than a thorough job. The book is urban fantasy, planning to self-publish. It deals with a less than healthy relationship and includes some sexual content, so if you're easily triggered or prefer not to read that sort of thing, this won't be your cup of tea. It's only about 30,000 words long, so it shouldn't be a huge investment of time. Thanks in advance!

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Yamikuronue, I'm a native English speaker and I'll be happy to help you.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! You've now got a choice of two potential betas...If you decide to go with me, just drop me a private message and I'll give you my e-mail address.

Last edited:

yamikuronue

Registered
Reaction score
This is so exciting!

The characters are studying at uni in Salford; which do you think would be a closer match? I didn't manage to get out to York or East Anglia while I was there, and most of my friends were fairly local to the Manchester area.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you've used some very specific slang/local references I don't think it really matters. Just toss a coin!

yamikuronue

Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha! Alright, well, you replied first and frequently so I'll go message you then. Thanks a lot to the both of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.