Best way to research a story location? (Maine)

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
I must say, of all the types of research that present themselves over the course of writing a story, it's researching the location of the story that gives me problems. I've noticed that a lot of writers seem to stick to locations that are familiar to them (their hometowns, etc.) but my characters just don't want to live in "Podunk" Texas.

So far it's been Arizona and Maine - neither of which is a state I've visited. I've been to Colorado several times as a child and feel I could write fairly true to the location, but no characters have lived there as of yet. Right now, my story is set in Augusta and Portland (Maine) and I'm largely winging much of the setting. I guess I just worry about a reader who's much more familiar with the area than I am finding some huge oversight on my part and all because I've never lived there.

I suppose I could use a fake city, but I'd like to use the real setting. I'm just not so good with researching cities and let's face it - snow and the like are rarely, if ever, seen here in the Lone Star State and I'm sure the populace of Maine is fairly familiar with it.

Anyway, has anyone found a particular website or something along those lines that is especially helpful in getting to know an unfamiliar location without having to actually visit? Believe me, I'd love to see Maine for myself, but the funds just aren't there.

Oh, and if there are any Portland, Maine natives or even just Maine natives in general who have some interesting information in regards to the area, I'd be much appreciative. Thanks!

Last edited:

CC.Allen

Aim twice, Shoot once...
Registered
Reaction score
Texas will always be home... but dreaming of Hawai
Two major sources of info. The obvious, Wikipedia (plus a little research to verify what you find). The not so obvious, http://www.city-data.com/forum/ (plus the obvious research to confirm what you find). I have found City-Data to be a great forum site with people from nearly every corner of the US & many places beyond.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
It depends on exactly what you want. You might try google Earth and see what the places look like. There also are traffic cams in various places that might be helpful. Look at maps carefully to be sure that the MC doesn't take oo many turns into one-way streets.

Youm might also take a vacation in Maine. Vacationland. It's very nice in the Summer, and there is skiing, but if you don't ski, then it can be boring in the Winter.

AfreetAji

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Pick up Downeast Magazine and Yankee Magazine. I live in MA but own a home in ME where I spend a great deal of time.

Both are very good sources.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Go for a virtual walk down the streets. Google Maps is an awesome tool for getting the feel of a place. If you don't know about streetview, just drag and drop the little yellow guy on the map.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of good advice, but there is one codicil - there is no substitute for being there and savoring the ambient environment. You're writing fiction so you can do as you please; however, there will be those among your readers who will intuitively sense the truth (especially anyone local to your setting).

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
In addition to the above: Talk to the natives as you hope to do. Find Beta readers from the locations. Look for local TV stations on the web and see the news of your area. I've placed high school students in San Diego and found you tube video from the school I selected. Keep in mind that people behave differently on camera than off. Look for other fiction or documentaries set in Maine and listen to the accents of the residents.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
All my romantic suspense are based on towns where I lived or where I visited for a few days specifically to research the area. Difficult to make the area come alive in the reader's mind unless its alive in yours. Only case where that's not true are some of my offworld SF stories for obvious reasons. Actually heard of an author that lived in each area that was the core of his story for a year or more to gain realism, but sorry can't remember his name.

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a native, but I did live and work there for 4 years. If I can be of any help, let me know.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
A couple things to remember about Maine. The first is weather. With the ocean nearby, it can change quickly, with temperature differences of ten or more degrees within ten miles.

Second is the accent. Natives pronounce 'sure' and 'here' as two syllable words, the letter "r" does not exist where it's supposed to (it's added other places)(Bar Harbor is pronounced "Bah Haabaah." My wife tried getting me to pronounce it with the letter "r" in it. Best I could ever do is two out of three.) Wicked good is actually said. "Ayuh" is still used.

Down East is an actual direction. And if you go north and inland you'd better love potatoes and lumber. Maine has a lot of trees, and a fairly rolling terrain. Downtown Portland is actually situated on a hill, rising from the harbor area. Lots of older buildings.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
Go for a virtual walk down the streets. Google Maps is an awesome tool for getting the feel of a place. If you don't know about streetview, just drag and drop the little yellow guy on the map.

I was going to say that!!!

You can even get local info from Google Maps by searching "local" while highlighting the place.

Of course, the online resources are all visual; and can't really convey a sense of the place as well as a visit (that might be tax deductable - talk to your accountant).

AW seems to be a great resource for finding locals that may be able to describe a place with eloquence and verve too. :)

Lunatique

Fluffy Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ethereality.info
Nothing can beat really being there and living there for a period of time--even if it's just a week or two. I say this because often I'll read about a place I've lived or been to in Wikipedia, or walk around in Google Street, but they don't really match the subjective feelings and impressions I have of those places from having actually been there. A lot of interesting and visceral sensations are missing--from the way the air smells, to the people of the place, and other little things like local habits that you might not read about, but would experience easily if you're actually there.

But of course, not everyone can afford to travel, so we often have to do whatever it takes, short of actually traveling there.

AfreetAji

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES attempt to "write" a dialect.

It never works. No region is populated by people who all sound the same. I live between MA and ME and was raised in the UK. EVEN PEOPLE WHO WERE BORN AND RAISED THERE GET IT WRONG.

Does not work. Ever.

Deleted member 42

Go to Portland. All of Maine, even the utmost north, is fabulous, but Portland is one of my very favorite places in the world.

Any time of the year, I adore Portland Me.

Downeast Magazine is not a bad idea. Also look at Maine newspapers. Large parts of Portland are visible on Google Street View.

After the first of the year, if you're thinking of Portland, PM me and I can try to connect you with a friend who's there.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Wicked good is actually said. "Ayuh" is still used.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Wicked is used not just as in wicked good, but also wicked bad, wicked cool, wicked just about anything. Also by itself, as in "Wicked." (Which generally means the same as "cool.") When used alone, it's drawn out, as in "wiiiiicccckkkeed." Often followed by "man." Perhaps this is just my generation, although I have noticed my 18 year old daughter using the word as well. She has friends from down south (New Jersey, for instance) who get irritated when she uses the word because they don't get it. There was a great McDonald's commercial (I think it was McDonald's) where two guys are testing each other on their "New Englandness." It was for coffee. Try searching for it, it might be enlightening.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A couple things to remember about Maine. The first is weather. With the ocean nearby, it can change quickly, with temperature differences of ten or more degrees within ten miles.

Second is the accent. Natives pronounce 'sure' and 'here' as two syllable words, the letter "r" does not exist where it's supposed to (it's added other places)(Bar Harbor is pronounced "Bah Haabaah." My wife tried getting me to pronounce it with the letter "r" in it. Best I could ever do is two out of three.) Wicked good is actually said. "Ayuh" is still used.

Down East is an actual direction. And if you go north and inland you'd better love potatoes and lumber. Maine has a lot of trees, and a fairly rolling terrain. Downtown Portland is actually situated on a hill, rising from the harbor area. Lots of older buildings.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

It depends on exactly here you are. Maine accents vary. The matter of the pronunciation of Bar Harbor is a matter of vowels not the "r".

Jack M Kaiser

Registered
Reaction score
I must say, of all the types of research that present themselves over the course of writing a story, it's researching the location of the story that gives me problems. I've noticed that a lot of writers seem to stick to locations that are familiar to them (their hometowns, etc.) but my characters just don't want to live in "Podunk" Texas.

So far it's been Arizona and Maine - neither of which is a state I've visited. I've been to Colorado several times as a child and feel I could write fairly true to the location, but no characters have lived there as of yet. Right now, my story is set in Augusta and Portland (Maine) and I'm largely winging much of the setting. I guess I just worry about a reader who's much more familiar with the area than I am finding some huge oversight on my part and all because I've never lived there.

I suppose I could use a fake city, but I'd like to use the real setting. I'm just not so good with researching cities and let's face it - snow and the like are rarely, if ever, seen here in the Lone Star State and I'm sure the populace of Maine is fairly familiar with it.

Anyway, has anyone found a particular website or something along those lines that is especially helpful in getting to know an unfamiliar location without having to actually visit? Believe me, I'd love to see Maine for myself, but the funds just aren't there.

Oh, and if there are any Portland, Maine natives or even just Maine natives in general who have some interesting information in regards to the area, I'd be much appreciative. Thanks!

There is a wonderful book out there called Writer's Guide To Places by Don Prues and Jack Heffron. It is the best book on all of the states and Canada. It gives tidbits on the history of the state, trivia, places to visit, other resources,the people,, economy, etc. I have the book and it has a place in my ' Can't live without' referrences.
Hope that helps ya out some.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I'm a Maine'a

:hi: I'm from Maine and living about 30 minutes from Augusta. I'm not sure if you're still visiting this thread, but I'm here to help answer questions if you're still in need.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
I also live about 30 minutes from Augusta and for the love of God PLEASE do not try to write what is perceived as a Maine accent. If your not from here, you won't get it right and it just irritates us! ;) Plus, you have a huge variety depending on where in Maine someone is from. The fisherman have accents so thick even I have trouble understanding them sometimes, but my family and the people I know, not so much. (We don't all say Ayuh, Cah, Hoss, and Bah Habah)

Google maps is cool, I once "walked" from the coast to my town and it was neat. The thing is though you don't get a taste of what the surroundings are like. The differences in the towns (Augusta and Portland are SO different.) Also the time of year would make the population in those areas different. My GAWD the tourists are everywhere May - October, then they fade out after the leaves change.

If you need any help re" Augusta let me know. We go there every weekend to shop and my mom works up there. (heh, up is relative. We live on the coast, so inland is up!)

Feel free to message me. I'm a native and I grew up right here in the MidCoast. :)

Last edited: