www.poisonpen.net
By Anne Sexton
1928-1974

Her Kind

I have gone out, a possessed witch,
haunting the black air, braver at night;
dreaming evil, I have done my hitch
over the plain houses, light by light:
lonely thing, twelve-fingered, out of mind.
A woman like that is not a woman, quite.
I have been her kind.

I have found the warm caves in the woods,
filled them with skillets, carvings, shelves,
closets, silks, innumerable goods;
fixed the suppers for the worms and the elves:
whining, rearranging the disaligned.
A woman like that is misunderstood.
I have been her kind.

I have ridden in your cart, driver,
waved my nude arms at villages going by,
learning the last bright routes, survivor
where your flames still bite my thigh
and my ribs crack where your wheels wind.
A woman like that is not ashamed to die.
I have been her kind.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, it's really wonderful. Never for a moment did I consider letting my eyes wander from the words. Love it.

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have every poem of hers. How could I have let them vanish moving from place to place over the years? Now, I know one thing I want for Christmas.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I know poetry is subjective but this has got me flummoxed. Must be a woman thing.

I rated it a 3. It didn't really do much for me. While I thought it was an excellent poem, it definitely didn't cause me to voice all the things I've read in the posts before me.

Hmmm... just makes me wonder even more about the quirkiness of poetry...

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I voted #4. I thought it was a great poem, well composed and structured, fairly easy to understand but enough of a riddle to make it interesting. There weren't really any elements I didn't like, its just that while I could relate to the idea of it, I couldn't really relate to the actuality of it. Does that make sense?

Ok, what's next? :D

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
broken,

i think the point of view (and accompanying imagery) from the female perspective can account for the part of the enjoyment others have gotten out of it.

however, i think it would be an oversimplification to see its value as simply the poetic equivalent of chick-lit. it's quite a powerful statement, in my opinion.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Oh don't mistake me, my intention was not to diminish it in any way. I was just struck by the disparateness of perspective, seemingly along a gender line.

I agree it is a powerful poem and paints a vivid picture, but I didn't feel though as though it spoke to me. I felt that the poet had given me a glimpse into their mind, but not their heart.

I felt kind of excluded from this mystery. I was unable to fully realize what the poet was trying to say, but the female readers seemed to have grasped it almost instinctively (going by the universal acclaim)

It spoke to me of the mystery of being a woman, or to be more precise, a certain kind of woman (I'm guessing a witch.) But that's the key word - mystery. It answered no questions for me nor revealed any truths. Offered no insight nor gave any clues. In the end I was left as perplexed at what her kind truly is as I was at the beginning. I found no lines contained within that hit that note of acknowledgement, that crossed the gender barrier and said: This is what it's like. Can you feel it now? Can you feel who I am? Can you feel what it is to be that kind of woman?

Or maybe I'm just a dumb male animal after all.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Perks said:
Yes, the defiant, F U, quality should cross gender lines quite well.
Hmmm, so is that what the poem is about?

I didn't get that at all. To me it seemed as if she was describing both her loneliness and her pride at being different.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: A 3 star vote is not a "bad" vote (at least to me). It's only a reflection of the poem's impact upon me. And isn't that the only true way to judge a poem?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
you're absolutely correct. i wasn't being critical of your response to it at all; just weighing in, i suppose.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
elisadasilva said:
A really pissed off woman.
Well, there you go! No wonder I couldn't relate! :)

I try to steer clear of angry women...

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, what is she pissed off at? I don't really see her as angry per se.., more like she sees her life as a great burden she has to carry and that translates (transfers?) into this volatile energy..which in paradox is the very force that fuels her survival.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
brokenfingers said:
Oh don't mistake me, my intention was not to diminish it in any way. I was just struck by the disparateness of perspective, seemingly along a gender line.

I agree it is a powerful poem and paints a vivid picture, but I didn't feel though as though it spoke to me. I felt that the poet had given me a glimpse into their mind, but not their heart.

I felt kind of excluded from this mystery. I was unable to fully realize what the poet was trying to say, but the female readers seemed to have grasped it almost instinctively (going by the universal acclaim)

It spoke to me of the mystery of being a woman, or to be more precise, a certain kind of woman (I'm guessing a witch.) But that's the key word - mystery. It answered no questions for me nor revealed any truths. Offered no insight nor gave any clues. In the end I was left as perplexed at what her kind truly is as I was at the beginning. I found no lines contained within that hit that note of acknowledgement, that crossed the gender barrier and said: This is what it's like. Can you feel it now? Can you feel who I am? Can you feel what it is to be that kind of woman?

Or maybe I'm just a dumb male animal after all.

I think there's a lot of clarity in that review. I'll buy that.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
interesting comments, guys and gals. keep them coming.

i would also suggest looking at what is different about the stanzas. i suspect the real meaning lies in the three facets (burdens?) of womanhood they represent.

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
i would also suggest looking at what is different about the stanzas. i suspect the real meaning lies in the three facets (burdens?) of womanhood they represent.
I was thinking about that..but couldn't quite articulate them. The last two seem more obvious, (keeping house, nurturing, mothering, sexual submission, pain of childbirth perhaps...) but that first stanza .. an almost hormonal angst..., maybe?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was about 3 different kinds of women. I thought the first one was a prostitute, the second one a housewife/mother, and the third one, I don't know maybe a prisoner????

It's not so clear-cut to me, but I think it's an interesting poem and it certainly makes you sit down and pull it apart to try to decipher the meaning.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about that..but couldn't quite articulate them. The last two seem more obvious, (keeping house, nurturing, mothering, sexual submission, pain of childbirth perhaps...) but that first stanza .. an almost hormonal angst..., maybe?
With the talk of flying about etc, I was guessing either childhood or the single life.

Hmmmm... "haunting the black air, braver at night; dreaming evil, I have done my hitch over the plain houses, light by light: lonely thing..."

I'm leaning towards a single woman. The evil part's got me convinced...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
p.h.:

i think you're spot on, though i would add that the third stanza also describes a sense of living in the shadow of a man, her glories (however meager) subjugated and eclipsed. but there is obviously sexual/childbirth imagery.

the first verse, to me, is a confession of engaging in the duplicity and subterfuge that is so often all that's left to the oppressed, in particular a woman in the first half of the 20th century, who felt a hunger for independence in a world unwilling to grant it. the "witch" during the witch hunts in europe was often the unconventional or adventurous woman.

to me, she is branding herself, perhaps ironically, for exercising her will, describing herself as she must have surely felt others viewed her.