PDA

View Full Version : War Horse [Movie]

gothicangel
12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Anyone going to see this one? Just saw the trailer, and was already bawling my eyes out.

US release: 25th Dec
UK release: 13th Jan

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568911/

Manuel Royal
12-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Just the trailer made my girlfriend cry. I don't know; some things work better as a stage play, rather than being presented in visually literal form on the screen.

gothicangel
12-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Just the trailer made my girlfriend cry. I don't know; some things work better as a stage play, rather than being presented in visually literal form on the screen.

Both stage and film are adaptions of Michael Morphurgo's [sp?] 1982 children's book.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this wipe the board at the Oscars.

Flicka
12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
God, that should be right up my alley...

I was horse mad as a kid and played horse all the time. I also had a thing for sad stories. My sister likes to tell the story on how she overheard me playing with my dolls when I was 4-ish. I said about my little boy doll: "He knew that the horse was going to die the next day, but there was nothing he could do" and end with a content sigh.

JimmyB27
12-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Is this the same War Horse that had that amazing puppet in the stage play?

Gravity
12-07-2011, 09:22 PM
If they croak the horse, I won't watch it. Ever since Disney conned me as a kid with Old Yeller, I won't watch any film where the main animal dies at the end.

katiemac
12-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Is this the same War Horse that had that amazing puppet in the stage play?

Yes.

TamaraLynne
01-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Absolutely loved this movie. :) I think they could have put more into the emotional connection between the horse and MC. I felt a very deep emotional connection between the guy towards the end..the one trying to save the black horse from pulling the cannon. This movie was however put together very very well.

firedrake
01-10-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a bit sniffly at the trailer.

We're definitely going to see it. I love WW1 stuff and I love horses. I can't not see it.

A couple of my husband's colleagues were stunt riders for the cavalry charge. The one guy's horse had lousy brakes and he had a hard time keeping it under control (this is someone who rides young racehorses for a living :Wha:

Fallen
01-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Both stage and film are adaptions of Michael Morphurgo's [sp?] 1982 children's book.

My daughter (10) has just finished reading this at school. It had her in tears. She heard the film was coming out and shook her head when I asked if she'd be interested in going if the cert was okay. Said she didn't want the book spoiling. Must have been one hell of a book....

firedrake
01-10-2012, 12:39 AM
My daughter (10) has just finished reading this at school. It had her in tears. She heard the film was coming out and shook her head when I asked if she'd be interested in going if the cert was okay. Said she didn't want the book spoiling. Must have been one hell of a book....

My son says he's going to get the book out of the school library and read it before we go.

Fallen
01-10-2012, 12:51 AM
My son says he's going to get the book out of the school library and read it before we go.

I think I'll have to get a copy, too, and I'm terrified of horses.

Victoria
01-10-2012, 05:56 AM
My mother saw it, and she says it is one of the best films she's seen in a long time. Mom's a hard edged woman who was an oncology nurse for fifty years, used to dealing with real life emotional trauma. This movie made her cry. She didn't say why, but I don't think I'll be going...

gothicangel
01-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Just seen it. Absolutely fantastic. :)
I cried twice.

A couple of my husband's colleagues were stunt riders for the cavalry charge.

The cavalry charge is one of the best sequences I've ever seen in a movie.