Want an eReader-- where do I start?

Kathleen_

Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks. I’m thinking of getting an eReader for Christmas and I’ve started doing a bit of research into it but I’m still a bit confused. I know there are different types and which one you buy limits what sort of books you can read on it (Kindle you can read books of Amazon etc). From what I understand the way to choose is to look at where you want to buy your books from and get the eReader that supports that format. Only I currently buy most of my books from real shops so that doesn’t help.
What do you all recommend?
I mostly want to read SF, I’d like to be able to read AWer’s books on it but I’d also love to read books from some of the ‘big name’ authors, especially those that write big books to go along with their big names—I figure an eReader is easier to cart around in my purse than an 1000 page volume. Also I am running out of room on my bookshelves (all three are double stacked), I don’t have room for any more bookshelves and I already have more books than I like in storage.
I do want one with eInk. I live in Australia and want to buy one from Australia.
Does anyone have any recommendations or links that explain it all clearly for me?
Do you have an eReader? What do/don’t you love about it?
Thank you all!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Me, I chose the Kindle Fire after doing research and based my decision on two things...

1..Price. I did not want to spend 500 or more dollars on a reader/tablet only to discover I don't like them. This pretty much eliminated the ipad.

2...I chose the Kindle Fire because I have no confidence that Barnes and Noble is going to stick around to support the Nook. Another benefit was the Amazon Prime service. If you have Amazon prime, not only is the shipping free, but now they loan books to members, and have access to thousand of free movies, videos and TV shows. So its a bonus, if your into using the tablet for more than just reading...

I am not sure that Australia has the Kindle Fire yet, but it might be something to check into.

Kathleen_

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I was told I couldn't lend books with the Kindle and it was the most restrictive in terms of what books I could read. At least the first may not be the case?

It appears I can't go into a shop and buy a Kindle, but I found a website that says it will come to Australia in just one week, which would be good if it did. In the past when I've ordered books from Amazon in November they came on the 23rd of december...
I also didn't know there was more than one type of kindle, something else to look into!