PDA

View Full Version : Chasing up a submission

MJRevell
12-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi guys,

I sent my full MS exclusively to one agent, after a successful query.

It's now been six weeks, and I haven't heard anything.

Is it respectable to send a polite email at this point asking about the status, or should I give more time?

nikkidj
12-03-2011, 06:27 PM
As a general rule, it's best not to nudge until at least 3 months. For a full, some would say wait until 6 months, but that takes a level of patience I don't possess. It's hard, but hang in there another 6 weeks. It takes a while for agents to fully evaluate fulls, so give the agent a chance. Good luck!

jclarkdawe
12-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Normal rule is three months but not when someone has an exclusive. Next time don't send out an exclusive without a specific date that the period of exclusivity runs out. But send out a nudge, and say in it that you'll extend the exclusivity period another two weeks, and after that, you'll be querying other agents.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

heyjude
12-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Hi guys,

I sent my full MS exclusively to one agent, after a successful query.

It's now been six weeks, and I haven't heard anything.

Is it respectable to send a polite email at this point asking about the status, or should I give more time?

I agree with the others about three months.

Question--did the agent actually ask for an exclusive? Just making sure. If so, s/he should have given a timeline.

jaksen
12-08-2011, 01:40 AM
The only length I'd give for an exclusive is two weeks.

And yes, I've had requests for a few, and also for six weeks. (Said no to the six weeks but they still requested; said yes to the two weeks but that was early in the querying process and she was the first agent to take an interest in my story.)

I think the important thing is to agree on a length that works for you - or don't give one at all.

AlishaS
12-08-2011, 01:59 AM
Honestly I'd nudge, I know it's not the rule 3 months is the norm, however this is an exclusive, and six weeks is a long time to wait, and that's six weeks you aren't querying anyone else.

Also agree, next time give a deadline for sure.

waylander
12-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Did the agent specify how long they wanted the exclusive for?
6 weeks is certainly long enough on an exclusively subbed full. Did the agent confirm they received it?

Chekurtab
12-10-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't understand why would an author use only a few agents and waste months waiting for a response that may never come...

ryannj5
12-11-2011, 03:57 AM
I wouldn't wait 6 weeks on an exculsive. Anytime I've been asked for when, they tie a timeframe to it - 2 weeks is what I've seen. Both have led to rejects, so my opinion is nudge and move on. Best of luck!!