Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Why does nobody paint like Titian or make new music like Beethoven? People are unique in their voices and their quirks and their art. The best creative types have distinctive voices unlike anyone else's. If a writer were as good as Shakespeare, he or she would probably have a style very different from Shakespeare's.

BotByte

Not a Reader, a Writer
Registered
Reaction score
It's because you aren't pretentious enough.

Really? Are you asking this?

Writing has gone through eras, and the differences in eras mean there has been changes.

(no offense) But your question is like asking: "Why don't we draw our books out in blood on cave walls?"

It defeats the purpose of change, doesn't it?

Anyways, let's attack your question from a scientific method:

1. Most people do not have the same vocabulary. Some say it's because they had a very expanded vocabulary back then, and some say that it was the changing and adapting of the English language that led to the filtering of words and the standardization of what we use today.

2. We do write like Shakespeare. We steal ideas, stories and write to the people who matter most with our writing.

3. Modern written plays have a choice of writing as back in the Shakespearean era. But they choose a language that most can understand.

4. It's a difficult vocabulary to understand and even more to write with.

5. It doesn't sell.

6. We don't want classes to understand why author 1's book doesn't make sense.

I got more if you need them.

EDIT:

Shakespeare was the figure head for his "fan service" back in the day, thus making him more important to the history books. I do not believe that Shakespeare was, and will ever be a good writer. IMO

Last edited:

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
Because Shakespeare was a different person in a different time and place.

If anyone did write very similarly to Shakespeare now, they'd get written off as a wannabe and, perhaps, ignored.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's because you aren't pretentious enough.

Really? Are you asking this?

Writing has gone through eras, and the differences in eras mean there has been changes.

(no offense) But your question is like asking: "Why don't we draw our books out in blood on cave walls?"

It defeats the purpose of change, doesn't it?

Anyways, let's attack your question from a scientific method:

1. Most people do not have the same vocabulary. Some say it's because they had a very expanded vocabulary back then, and some say that it was the changing and adapting of the English language that led to the filtering of words and the standardization of what we use today.

2. We do write like Shakespeare. We steal ideas, stories and write to the people who matter most with our writing.

3. Modern written plays have a choice of writing as back in the Shakespearean era. But they choose a language that most can understand.

4. It's a difficult vocabulary to understand and even more to write with.

5. It doesn't sell.

6. We don't want classes to understand why author 1's book doesn't make sense.

I got more if you need them.

EDIT:

Shakespeare was the figure head for his "fan service" back in the day, thus making him more important to the history books. I do not believe that Shakespeare was, and will ever be a good writer. IMO

:Ssh:

No, really, mccardey -

walk

slowly

away.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
It might be worthwhile to ask the question, if Shakespeare were writing today, how would he be writing? What would he be writing? Imagine Romeo and Juliet via Twitter and Facebook, for example. (Heck, that'd probably sell.)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Nobody writes like Shakespeare because Shakespeare is dead.

If Shakespeare were reincarnated, Shakespeare wouldn't write like Shakespeare. Because Shakespeare would know that Shakespeare is shuffled off this mortal coil.

LadyDae

New AW user. Veteran Writer 8+
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hollydae.com

My sentiments exactly.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
(or try to)

Shakespeare was the source of around 1,200 words now in common use. Whether you think he was a hack or what not, I think some people are just great at what they do.

The most truthful reason why is because his style is so outdated. Times change, trends change, and mores change. An example is back in the day thin women were seen as less attractive than more round/thick women.

I jump from topic to topic :)

BotByte

Not a Reader, a Writer
Registered
Reaction score
An example is back in the day thin women were seen as less attractive than more round/thick women.

Actually, advertisement and our social world forces people to think that thinner woman and men are more sexually attractive.

But yearly studies into sexuality has shown that men enjoy woman who are 20lbs over (the weight woman thought was sexy) and woman said that a man who is 15lbs over (the weight men thought was sexy).

ID versus Super Ego, oh the one sided battle!

Domino Derval

FREAKING OUT!
Registered
Reaction score
That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotligh
Website
denisedanes.wordpress.com
I get people not reading Shakespeare, or even not enjoying Shakespeare, but an objectively bad writer? Maybe I'd find it easier to swallow if people could name a contemporary of his they preferred. Marlowe, perhaps? Ben Johnson?

It's sort of like how it's hard to get someone slagging on the Beatles if all they listen to is Katy Perry. The criticisms would have more weight if the argument was instead that the Beach Boys had better production or the Rolling Stones had catchier hooks.

BotByte

Not a Reader, a Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I get people not reading Shakespeare, or even not enjoying Shakespeare, but an objectively bad writer? Maybe I'd find it easier to swallow if people could name a contemporary of his they preferred. Marlowe, perhaps? Ben Johnson?

It's sort of like how it's hard to get someone slagging on the Beatles if all they listen to is Katy Perry. The criticisms would have more weight if the argument was instead that the Beach Boys had better production or the Rolling Stones had catchier hooks.

I see it as everything in this world is wrong and right at the same time.

Shakespeare could write, but his ideas, content anything to that writing has been stolen from others around his time.

Look at the Histories he wrote. Most would write about past figures, not current ones.

Then you need to look at his characters. Be based many of his character on important figures at the time to have them like it. And in turn those people would have his plays spread about the land.

Here you kiddies go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzVyqiskpMk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUyq-uCZr0

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score

Agreed. So many of his plays/stories are simply epic...Julius Caesar...Hamlet...Henry V.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Shakespeare died on (supposedly) the 23rd of April in 1616. 395 years later, in 2011, some person on the internets claims he's a bad writer, and that his fame is overrated... I could live with being that kind of bad, to be honest.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shakespeare died on (supposedly) the 23rd of April in 1616. 395 years later, in 2011, some person on the internets claims he's a bad writer, and that his fame is overrated... I could live with being that kind of bad, to be honest.

Yeah, but Max - you've missed
5. It doesn't sell.

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I think Shakespeare was brilliant. He wrote what was popular in his time, much of what is studied in high schools and colleges everywhere.

If he tried to publish today, his prose would most likely be called pretentious, or maybe even purple.

That said, do you want to write like Shakespeare?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I see it as everything in this world is wrong and right at the same time.

Shakespeare could write, but his ideas, content anything to that writing has been stolen from others around his time.

What? You mean Shakespeare's ideas weren't all original? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.