William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the academy of american poets has an excellent overview of 31 poetic schools and movements, which is an incredible resource for seeing how poetic styles and philosophies, over the centuries—sometimes organically and sometimes by design—have concentrated into movements.

you can check it out here:

http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/193

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that link..there's some interesting info in there. But I left still unsure of exactly what each style entailed. Technically speaking anyway. I clicked thru the various "schools" trying to find my style..and was disappointed there weren't more examples of each style. Some only had a link to related poets, with yet another link to some of their work, which I'm assuming then is an example of the featured style?. So, while it was interesting, i didn't learn as much, as I hoped. I felt as tho I had to already be familiar with the Poets/styles.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
you should be able to take the names of the various schools and poets listed as examples, and then use google to find more information on each. i would caution against finding your "style" in any of the schools listed. most contemporary poets straddle multiple schools, or exist outside of them all. schools and movements often only become such after the fact, as a means of making sense of certain trends.

the greatest value of this list is the ability to cobble together the evolution of poetry; for instance, the rise of metaphysical poetry as a rebellion against the conventions of elizabethan formalism, or the appeal of the beats to a disillusioned post world war 2 generation.

its greatest value lies as a starting point to embark on your own voyage of discovery.

-william

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, William. I look forward to exploring it (as soon as the Christmas cards are mailed)...I could use a good overview.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
So you're suggesting I put some effort into it? Hmmmm..how did you know I was a lazzzzy writer?

William Haskins said:
its greatest value lies as a starting point to embark on your own voyage of discovery.

-william
You got me with this.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just posting to subscribe to this thread. If I go to this link now, I'll be up all night. It's been a very long day.

Thanks, William. I hope it has a thorough section on the Moon/June school.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did miss this the first time around.

Thank you.