The better I get at writing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
...the worse I get at reading.

I used to just pick up a book, read and enjoy it for what it was. I was open and receptive to other people's stories, and I used to read several books a month. Nowadays, I can get through a bit of non-fiction once in a while, but I've almost completely lost interesting in reading fiction.

Part of it is I'm so involved in creating my own stories that I don't have time for other people's, but I think most of the problem comes from the inner editor ruining it for me. I've gotten so observant and critical of writing that I'm finding it difficult to enjoy other people's fiction like I used to. I keep thinking about how I would have done the idea differently (especially true with vampire fiction), or I can't see the forest for the trees anymore (getting so hung up on the small scale "problems" that I'm not enjoying the story as a whole).

Does this happen to anyone else? If so, have you found some way of turning off this editor in your leisure time and just soaking up the story as a reader again?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda sorta. I was thinking about something like this earlier today. I used to walk a half a block to the library every Monday and check out six books for the week (that's their limit). For the past three weeks or so, I find myself reading the first chapter, becoming impatient, and skipping to the last chapter to read the ending. I put that one down and move on to the next. I might find one or two that I read through to the end. Of course, this necessitates 2 to 3 trips to the library each week.

But, no, I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of my own writing. I really don't know what has happened and it's of some concern to me since I've always read for the sheer pleasure of reading.

AutumnWrite

Old enough to know better
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's because I am still in the learning stage of writing, but yes, I've had the same thing happen lately. I don’t just read to enjoy anymore.

This is especially true of books that don't hook me right away. I find myself dissecting them, looking for problems, trying to find issues. Ultimately, I end up putting them away half read. The good side is it helps with my learning curve. Bad side, I wonder if I'm missing some of the fun.

Solution? Sorry...I wish I knew.

victoriafoyt

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you're just reading 'average' writing...

You guys need to find a REALLY GOOD book to read.

Go and get a 'classic' that you haven't read and give it a whirl... I bet that you'll get so egrossed in the story that you won't even realize it until you're a couple chapters in!

I suggest getting a copy of Save the Pearls Part One REVEALING EDEN by Victoria Foyt...

hahaha I'm just kidding obviously. Go read "Cats Cradle" or "Slaughter House Five" (or thousands of other 'non-kurt vonnegut books') and you'll be inspired i'm sure.

(but seriously, buy my book!) :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
...the worse I get at reading.

Does this happen to anyone else? If so, have you found some way of turning off this editor in your leisure time and just soaking up the story as a reader again?

No. I enjoy reading as much as I did when I first discovered the wonderful worlds waiting for me within.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I find I have much less patience for bad writing. I still enjoy a good read, but my standards have gone way up.

As an aside, six books Ari? We're allowed ten for a probationary six months, then twenty-five after (as long as we return them or pay the fines during that six months).

I was reading a published novel to my son a while back, it was pretty meh, but he was willing to go on, until something "peaked" the MC's interest. I couldn't read it after that.

Last edited:

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes.

If so, have you found some way of turning off this editor in your leisure time and just soaking up the story as a reader again?

Yes. Read better books.

That may sound snarky, but it's true. Avoid the hype, buzz, and the marketing circus in general. Ignore trends. Investigate classic authors you've always meant to read. Read the writers who influenced your favorite authors, critics, artists. Take recommendations from people you trust. Discover writers who challenge instead of numb you. When your brain is exhausted from all the stimulation and inspiration, then take a break with something trashy.

Reading well takes discipline, too.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
As an aside, six books Ari? We're allowed ten for a probationary six months, then twenty-five after (as long as we return them or pay the fines during that six months).

Six books at a time is the limit. We're a small town and I used to approve their annual budget when I worked for the city. I told them the other day that they KNOW me and know I donate bundles of books several times year, and that they can even see my front door from their front door. No dice.

I was reading a published novel to my son a while back, it was pretty meh, but he was willing to go on, until something "peaked" the MC's interest. I couldn't read it after that.

Yepper. That's one of my hot buttons, too.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Read better books.

That may sound snarky, but it's true. Avoid the hype, buzz, and the marketing circus in general. Ignore trends. Investigate classic authors you've always meant to read. Read the writers who influenced your favorite authors, critics, artists. Take recommendations from people you trust. Discover writers who challenge instead of numb you. When your brain is exhausted from all the stimulation and inspiration, then take a break with something trashy.

Reading well takes discipline, too.

True. But my book budget took a huge hit this year—so the only books I bought are AWers' books—and our library is my only resource. I'm reading authors I hadn't explored or favorite authors' books I had somehow missed. I'd rather live without bread and milk than books but my husband doesn't agree. *sigh*

Eleanor Rigby

Registered
Reaction score
This doesn't really happen to me. Maybe it's the types of books that you're reading? I do notice wording, but there will NEVER come a day when I won't enjoy a good read.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to be a common affliction with writers from what I keep hearing, but not me. I think my preferences are more "defined" now, you could say, like I know why I like certain things, but the authors who are the reason I got into fiction are the kinds of authors I still read for pleasure. Sure, I see things that bother me in stories. But rarely enough to let it bother me beyond a small, "hmm not what I would have done. Oh, well."

I also think school fills my reading schedule so full of stuff that makes my brain hurt in all kinds of ways, I yearn for prose I can wade through like the shallow end of a pool.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't lost interest, but I do notice a lot more now than I did. I pick up on overused ideas, boring plot-points, etc. The worst thing is that I now notice every single printing error...and there seems to be a lot.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think it happens to most writers in the beginning. It did with me, but I put an end to it fast. If I let writing interfere with my reading, I'd stop writing.

It ain't the words on the page you're supposed to see, it's the story and the characters unfolding in your head like a movie. The writers I love still do this for me.

Really, if I see the words on the page, I've found a write I would never have read, even before I started writing.

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
It ain't the words on the page you're supposed to see, it's the story and the characters unfolding in your head like a movie. The writers I love still do this for me.

I think you nailed it. I used to read this way. Reading was (almost) just like going to the cinema. Now I'm getting too hung up on the words.

I think that's what I'll focus on next time, is really trying to visualize the scene again and forget the text, plus pick up some better books.

Thanks all.

Jake.C

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to look at it as becoming better at reading, not worse. I might enjoy bad writing less, but now I probably enjoy really good writing even more. Seems like a fair trade off.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...that totally happened to me, too. D: I guess in some ways it's good, because it means all reading experiences are also learning experiences that can help improve my craft. On the other hand, I often do not seem to enjoy books as much as my non-writer friends enjoy them. I nitpick them instead of just having fun with them. But I guess that's the way it is from now on!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... I don't really read for enjoyment. At least that's not my primary aim. I read to improve at writing. Reading books by authors with similar aims is a help. I couldn't say precisely how.

ShamanDrum

Registered
Reaction score
I find I enjoy reading even more now.

True, since I've started writing I read with a more critical eye, but I find that it helps me hone my craft. If it's a good book, I discover elements I can use and if it's bad, ones I can avoid. I can still read critically and enjoy the book though, as if there were two different parts of me at play.

Status
Not open for further replies.