Why you guys are awesome

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Learning to write well is hard. I don't think any of us would disagree. I'm now going to ramble sappily about why you people rock. You have been warned.

First of all, when I first came here I learned a lot--and I'd been writing for years. It wasn't like I was a complete noob. Most of that was industry knowledge. What I didn't expect was to meet really great, awesome people who are not only encouraging, but who could help me attain a level of ability that I would never have reached otherwise, or at least not for another decade or so.

I won't mention names (you know who you are), but the people I've met here and the friends I've made have been so helpful, and I'm so thankful. Let me explain.

My current book has been kicking my ass for some time now. It's not the writing itself. I actually think I'm pretty darn good at that part, if I'm allowed to say so. But this one has been an attempt at a complex plot, something I'm less skilled in. In fact, plot is still the hardest thing for me, even when I'm working linearly.

This book has been so hard my boyfriend has repeatedly asked why I don't just set it aside and write something else. I suppose the most honest reason is because I'm stubborn, but I thought about this today, and I came to a more accurate realization: it's because I'm learning something new.

Today someone read my new beginning, which was the rewrite of the old new beginning, which was a complete rewrite of the old old beginning which I'd labored over and outlined to death. I knew what the subplots were, where it was going, all that good stuff, but structure? With subplots? What on earth is that?

Every time I get comments on this, either from someone who read it or even just someone who listens to me ramble about it, y'all help me see something in a new way that I'd never considered before. I can look at the problem in a new way and see new solutions. More than anything, I'm starting to understand this structure thing. Why something works, why it doesn't. I can use that. In the future when I want to write a complex plot, I'm going to be able to turn it around three-dimensional in my head and really understand it. And it's because of the people on here.

I guess this probably sounds kind of lame, but it's true. You have helped me progress to new levels and helped me to learn more about the craft than I could ever have done on my own. You are supporters and cheerleaders who understand how hard this process is, but you're also teachers. I don't know if you know that you do this, but it's true.

This has been a hard process. And this book is still kicking my ass if we're being honest, but this is why I stick with it. Because I'm still learning and I believe that, in the long run, my writing will be better for it. And an awful lot of that is thanks to all of you.

I just wanted to let you know.

LilGreenBookworm

I write with crayons.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I haven't been here long enough to be one of those people you mention, but I just wanted to throw in my good luck vibes in turning the ass-kicking from your caboose to your novel's. I really think writing is one of those things where you never stop learning, and AW is a truly wonderful place to learn and grow, from what I've seen. So glad you've had such a positive experience here! It gives noobs like me hope. :)

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Funny, I have thought the same thing of you Kaitie. ;)

For full disclosure: Kaitie's post does not apply to me. I have never taught her anything. It is I who have benefited from her wisdom.

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Like Doc, I would say it's more the other way around (for one specific example, Kaitie, to this day I still think of your reply to my whinging about the CWA and still keep that advice in the back of my mind for the days when it gets tough).

But I also echo the sentiment about the rest of the board, because I feel the same way. I have learned so much, even if it's not about my work or me as a writer, but just by being part of the discussions and reading posts and comments - seriously, I have been trying to write professionally, as in serious about writing and being published rather than only writing for fun, for just shy of twenty years now, and have had rejection after rejection, been flailing about trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and what I need to improve without having much idea which direction to go in.

For the last few months, since I've been actively coming to this particular subforum, I think I've come on leaps and bounds. Today, for instance, I subbed my first short story to a magazine, ever, and not only feel good about the story itself but even the idea of rejection doesn't terrify me as it would have done because I feel I've got so much more confidence and strength just from these boards.

So yeah, (((hugs all)))
Z

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel the same way Kaitie does. :) (Though goodness knows, I've learned from her and not vice versa.)

I think Kaitie's post should be placed as a sticky in the newbie forum.

Jilly McGilly

Crumpled!
Registered
Reaction score
This is the warmest, fuzziest corner of the web. You guys are fantastic. Without you I would have thrown in the towel long ago. :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, you guys just made me have warm gooeys inside.

Doc and Jilly and Gail and everyone, even if you haven't read my stories you've still been great supporters and people who understand the process and are there when I need a pick-me-up. You are definitely included in the thoughts.

Zelenka, good luck!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Happy thread!

You guys help remind me why I write, and I've gotten some amazing feedback from people here. You're wonderful. :e2grouphu

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
AW... that was an awesome post it almost made me cry. I agree with you on the how much support you all are that I couldn't do without either. Even if I don't write for a day or two I still come in to see what everyone else is doing -- its inspirational.

And I ditto what the others said, Kaitie, you and the others in the MTS area (whether one is writing MTS or not) have been such a big help to me. Having done non fic for so long, fiction is sooooo different. You all are so helpful. Course AW as a whole, wow, sometimes I log on and just read. :)

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Yeah, see, I don't post here as much as I could/should/would like to. But I always know you guys are here if I have questions or need moral support. And I participate when I can, of course, but time is so short these days. So I agree, we're all awesome. Especially you guys. :)

grizzletoad1

Plodding around into things.
Registered
Reaction score
Actually Kaitie, you have helped me a lot. I do not want to say right now exactly how much for fear that it may jinx me, but it relates directly to the query letter we worked on together a couple of months ago. In my little more than a year since I joined, I learned so much here, and you are right: The people here have been great. May all of you have a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous, Happy New Year!

Last edited:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
And I ditto what the others said, Kaitie, you and the others in the MTS area (whether one is writing MTS or not) have been such a big help to me.

Had to repeat this. Y'all were/are one of my big signposts in figuring all this out.

(...still working on that structure, though!)

:)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Had to pop in and give you guys a hug and say my fingers are crossed without mention of what they're crossed for to avoid jinxes.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Oh my my my ... a cross fingers moment! I'll cross my toes too and maybe my legs for good measure, but I hope we find out soon before I trip and fall over. :D