PDA

View Full Version : Speculative fiction novellas (20-40K) + novel-length SF/F/H [$250 advance + 25% royalty on list]

roach
12-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Notice: as of October, 2013, we are extending our word limit. We are open to novel-length sf/f/h as well. Everything below is still current and in effect. We are still looking for novellas, and prefer shorter novels.

Open for submissions January 1, 2012

Stats at a glance (do not neglect to read the more detailed guidelines below, they are important):

Word limit: 20,000 and up
Pay Rate: $250 (USD) advance + 25% royalty of list price
Rights: World Electronic English-language Rights
Send submissions as RTF files via e-mail to submissions@eggplantproductions.com

All types of speculative fiction (fantasy, science fiction and horror) are welcome and reprints will be considered; however, you should query first with story and publication information before submitting a reprint. Short story collections, poetry collections or non-speculative fiction novels will not be considered for open submissions.

We are especially interested in stories with non-Western European settings, minority and disabled characters.

Send submissions as attached RTF files to submissions@eggplantproductions.com. Send questions to eggplant@eggplantproductions.com.

Im anticipating a response time of 1 2 months, but that will most likely change depending on the number of submissions I receive.

--

As an aside, I thought I'd add that this is a restart of my publishing company, Eggplant Literary Productions. From 1997 - 2006 I published various e-zines, e-books and even a children's fantasy magazine. The company was closed down (extended hiatus) until this year.

I'm excited to get back to publishing and am psyched to see so many familiar names on the forum.

If anyone has questions, comments, concerns, what-have-you I can be reached at eggplant@eggplantproductions.com. Or you can post a response here and I'll answer. Or you can post comments on the website (www.eggplantproductions.com (http://www.eggplantproductions.com)) and I can answer there too. :D

Laurathewriter
12-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks for posting this, Roach - and congrats on your re-entry to the publishing world :D

Unimportant
12-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Welcome back, Roach! I remember fondly your YA magazine.

roach
12-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks Laurathewriter and Unimportant. It feels great to be back.

I think I need to reiterate that I am not open to submissions until January 1, 2012. I'm still working on website and back end business related stuff and won't be reading any submissions until then. (Although it is very encouraging to see people jumping the gun and sending stuff in already.)

Off to post this in my other thread.

James Ebersole
12-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Oooh, awesome! Both this and the transdimensional library seem interesting. Curious, would you resume this children's fantasy magazine? Sounds like it was a great thing.

roach
12-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Oooh, awesome! Both this and the transdimensional library seem interesting. Curious, would you resume this children's fantasy magazine? Sounds like it was a great thing.

I would love to revive Spellbound at some point. It was fun because we made the sort of magazine we had wanted to read as kids.

I'm making myself ease back into publishing, though, because of time and budget constraints. It's one thing to run half a dozen projects at once when you are in your twenties and have no kids, quite another when you are in your thirties and have two munchkins.

roach
01-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Just a quick update that we're now open to submissions. Happy New Year, everyone!

BunnyMaz
01-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Oh congratulations on reopening. This is definitely relevant to my interests.

Alan Yee
01-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Hopefully ELP will thrive now that e-publishing and e-reading are becoming much more common than they were back during ELP's first incarnation. I hadn't actually read any of the material you published the first time around (I was underaged and without a credit card at the time), but I'm definitely looking forward to what you'll manage to publish this time.

MysteryRiter
01-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Ooo, not a bad advance for a novella! I'll have to write you something. :D Just because I struggle with what genres are in the speculative fiction category, I need to ask: is urban fantasy a speculative fiction? :) Please disregard the potential idiocy and act as if it is a perfectly valid question. :D
Congrats on the reopening! :hooray:

roach
01-02-2012, 05:36 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement and kind words. I'm really looking forward to seeing what submissions come our way.

MysteryRiter, speculative fiction has always been used as an umbrella term to cover the "what if" genres: fantasy, science fiction and horror. Urban fantasy would certainly fall under that category.

:D

MysteryRiter
01-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Ok, thanks. I thought that but was never told so I wanted to be sure. :) Don't want to be shocked that all my hard work doesn't even fit the genre!
:D

bearilou
01-03-2012, 05:24 PM
*squirrels away for serious consideration*

zerosystem
02-06-2012, 03:21 AM
I have two questions. First, should the cover letter be included as an RTF file or should it be pasted into the body of the email. Secondly, are headers required, and if so, is there anything required outside of what is standard.

roach
02-06-2012, 04:20 AM
I have two questions. First, should the cover letter be included as an RTF file or should it be pasted into the body of the email. Secondly, are headers required, and if so, is there anything required outside of what is standard.

I prefer the cover letter to be in the body of the e-mail. Headers aren't necessary but if you feel like including them, stick to what is standard.

Manuel Royal
02-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Best of luck, roach, and I'd love to submit something.

Quick question, though.

Pay Rate: $250 (USD) advance + 25% royalty of list priceJust to be clear: does this mean:

$250 flat + (25% x list price x number of sales)

or

$250 advance + [(25% x list price x number of sales)-$250]

Thanks!

roach
02-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Best of luck, roach, and I'd love to submit something.

Quick question, though.
Just to be clear: does this mean:

$250 flat + (25% x list price x number of sales)

or

$250 advance + [(25% x list price x number of sales)-$250]

Thanks!

Hi! The $250 is an advance against royalties so your second calculation is correct.

MJRevell
02-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Hey,

When you publish a story, where can we buy it?

roach
02-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Hey,

When you publish a story, where can we buy it?

E-books will be available through Amazon, B&N and Smashwords. We may add other vendors later but we're concentrating on these to start.

(The last time around we distributed e-books through Amazon, Mobipocket, EbookAd, Fictionwise, PalmGear and a couple of others, but the sales through some of the venues just weren't enough to justify going through them again. Also, some don't seem to be in business any more.)

areteus
02-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Hmmm... how long are your sub windows open for? And do you consider seasonal fare such as Christmas themed novellas?

roach
02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Hmmm... how long are your sub windows open for? And do you consider seasonal fare such as Christmas themed novellas?

There's no deadline for subs. I'm reading continuously and haven't yet filled the 2013 publication schedule.

I'm looking for great stories. If it has an Arbor Day theme and is awesome, I want to publish it. :D

Atarrin
02-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Thanks for posting this. I have a work on the short end of that I may have to consider submitting.

Do you have any idea when we should expect your first publication to be released?

roach
02-23-2012, 05:18 AM
Thanks for posting this. I have a work on the short end of that I may have to consider submitting.

Do you have any idea when we should expect your first publication to be released?

Our first title is slated for release in August. There will be another in October and then December. Starting in 2013 we'll be releasing a title each month.

I'll be able to announce the titles soon. I'm just waiting on contracts.

roach
03-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Just posting an update here:

I am caught up with submissions through February 9, 2012. If you sent a submission before that date and haven't heard back you might have been victim of the borked e-mail address link on the guidelines.

Please resend your submission.

Thanks to MysteryRiter for pointing out the e-mail problem last week.

MelodySRV
03-22-2012, 02:57 AM
How long will these submissions be open?

roach
03-23-2012, 06:06 PM
How long will these submissions be open?

Hello! There is no close date for submissions.

scarlett9284
03-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Sounds intresting. Thanks for posting, and I'll keep you in mind!

Minx
04-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Greetings! Did you get my submission? Please let me know and thank you.
Regards,

KB

roach
04-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Greetings! Did you get my submission? Please let me know and thank you.
Regards,

KB

Responding via PM.

Also, just a note that it is better to query me at eggplant@eggplantproductions.com rather than on here or through PMs. I do try to check into Absolute Write every other day or so, but I'm constantly on my e-mail. Right now my response time is 4-6 weeks so if it has been longer than two months, drop me a line.

Spy_on_the_Inside
04-05-2012, 10:36 PM
I do have a question about the cover letters for our work. Are you looking for more the traditional query or something longer or in a different format?

roach
04-06-2012, 05:07 AM
I do have a question about the cover letters for our work. Are you looking for more the traditional query or something longer or in a different format?

All I really want query letters for is to have all the relevant information (author, address, title, and word count) in one place.

So, more short story cover letter than novel query.

Spy_on_the_Inside
04-06-2012, 11:37 AM
And do you want the whole novella with the cover letter, or first the letter, then the story?

roach
04-06-2012, 08:24 PM
And do you want the whole novella with the cover letter, or first the letter, then the story?

As my seven-year-old would say, "Barnacles!" I should have written "cover letter" rather than query. Sorry for any confusion that might have caused.

Please do just send the novella along with a cover letter.

Thanks!

roach
01-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Bumping this thread.

We've released our first four novellas, with our fifth, Dead on Arrival by Crystal Lynn Hilbert scheduled for the end of February. Currently we're selling our titles through our own website, B&N.com, Amazon.com, Kobo and OmniLit. Now that Smashwords allows the uploading of ePub files we're going to be looking into them as well.

The guidelines are here: http://eggplantproductions.com/general-guidelines/guidelines-for-e-book-submissions/.

dpaterso
01-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Twilight Zone coincidence, I was just there, in my search to find markets accepting novellas (fail!). Congrats on the new releases! Good to see you back in business.

-Derek

dale hollin
02-13-2013, 01:21 AM
got a rejection from this place. it was what i call a "good rejection", though. a decent critique and reasons why the story didn't work for the publication. not the standard two line "good luck elsewhere" type of rejection you get most places.

roach
10-08-2013, 03:04 AM
Giving this thread another bump. We've released nine novellas so far, with two more coming before the end of the year.

Calla Lily
10-08-2013, 04:07 AM
You're at the top of my list--when I add 982 (exciting, sensory, plot-driving) words to the novella. :D

roach
10-10-2013, 12:21 AM
I also want to point out that we welcome reprints.

dakota.potts
10-12-2013, 06:43 AM
How do you feel about multiple submissions? Should there be a space in between?

roach
10-12-2013, 06:53 AM
How do you feel about multiple submissions? Should there be a space in between?

I don't have a problem with multiple submissions. No space necessary.

dakota.potts
10-12-2013, 09:57 AM
You'll be hearing from me soon, hopefully before November! Sounds like a good deal for sure.

roach
10-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Well, crud. I thought I could edit the thread title, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Anyway, I wanted to update that we've extended our word limit to include novel-length sf/f/h.

I'm still accepting novellas and am most interested in shorter novels.

Aggy B.
10-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Well, crud. I thought I could edit the thread title, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Anyway, I wanted to update that we've extended our word limit to include novel-length sf/f/h.

I'm still accepting novellas and am most interested in shorter novels.

After you click Edit on the first post, then click on "Advanced" and it should let you edit the title.

TheQueenless
10-19-2013, 04:09 AM
Sounds interesting. I'm a bit preoccupied with my upcoming NaNo novel, but as soon as I'm finished with that, I'll definitely consider this. Maybe I can revive some of my old fantasy novels that I never finished . . .