Status
Not open for further replies.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
Times they are a changing, no? There are millions of webpages and bloqs too ... and for the rest, well the whole of the web has become just a cesspool of flat illusionary sales. 'Buy this, buy that!' Ok, condoms are selling! Since I am lonely, yahoo has traced that with his cooky mining yechies and every time I now check my mail I read 'Buy condom! Buy condom!' (I wonder I they cheaper on the web? How do you pay for a condom?) Anyway point I'm making is that the 'old creativity' of the individual is now been sucked up by flat hedonism and illusion. Webpages and bloqs are apologetic! And all these so called publishers ... web-ezines, etc. They block one's communication possibilities. Once your book is 'published' nobody has access to it anymore! Wham! It stands there on Cyber!

Come, be honest how many of your books have you sold? How many people know about you? Only we, see! Smile!

aspier

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
aspier,

I love you better than Christmas, but sometimes I have a hard time figuring out exactly what you mean.

Are you complaining about SPAM in your inbox? (cuz of the condom ads?) You probably have some keystroke counting Spyware. I know I do. I know where I got it from, too. (Downloading Google Earth) Yep. Why haven't I gotten rid of it? hmmm...not sure. Probably my perverse & contrary nature.

Are you complaining because no one visits your site? That 'keyword' business is important - like it or not. Have you woven some in?

Are you just sick of all the 'buy me', 'buy me', 'buy me' out there? Me, too. But hey, people gotta eat and there's one born every minute. (I love my DELETE key)

So what's really on your mind these days, aspier? I miss you when you're not around. So - once more for we slow folks here (me)
Cuz, baby, I love you like family. :)

>''<

oh, and how many books have I sold? NONE. Because I haven't written any.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
a good Santa URL?

Tnx Unique! At least one person on the wide world weaver that really understands me! I too have a hard time figuring out exactly what I mean but since you mention Christmas ... shoes! Red boots! Did you know they organised every year this time of year flights to Norway specially. From all over Europe they take people to go see Santa's place? Day or weekend trips! Somewhere there in the wild far they carve every year a 5-star hotel out in the ice - igloo style - and you can stay there like in a normal hotel! Big malls, café's restaurants (Mac Donalds and Kentucky ... although with this bird flue...) in the ice etc. But you need boots to plod in Santa's steps ... for the cold, you see? Smile! And it cost you about 3 to 4 month's layman's salary! Shall we go? You got boots?

Oh yes, that was what I was saying - bloqs and pages doesn't work anymore! Yes? When you, for one, visit a page of somebody, do you stay there long and read it all? I don't! Well there you see? You think Santa's got a bloq? I mean real Santa? Not one or the other of these fast companies selling plastic raindeer and barby shoes and then say its a bloq.

Anybody got a good Santa URL?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think that is a bit of a sweeping statement. I get about 20 unique visitors a day and my ebooks are continuously available to them. My rough estimate is that I make some money off at least one of them every day even if it is only via adsense or amazon commision--some of the do exit to my publishers pages although I can't track how many of them buy.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
18 to 20 here. Hope to grow some, too. And I don't have anything to sell the public (yet) I just have conversations on blogs and people come by to have one on mine. It's just another type of online community, Aspier. Like having pen-pals.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
My myspace page gets about 20-50 hits a day, and I hardly do anything with it except post an occasional nonsensical blog.

I read other people's blogs all the time, but I rarely read those who use them as a diary. I want to be entertained and wowed and shown the occasional boobie.

Look at postsecret. That guy got a book deal because of his blog.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
libraries + links

Well I never! Tnx for the links! Sure I'm learning + I am going to read ever single word on all of your bloqs! Medevialist and yours! I think I want you in my library. Let me check it out and I'll come back to you, if you don't mins! I'm too all in into Medieaval things and mythology. If you want to check my library here's the URL = http://users.skynet.be/spier/argoboatlibrary.htm

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
quick clicks

Medievalist said:
I get roughly 1,000 unique visitors a day; it's down since I'm not posting as much.

Ok Medievalist! you're on! Valuable stuff! I've linked up to your sitemap. Maybe you could make your day quota 1001 per day now!

Veinglory and others - I'll spend time at your places too. I am so surprise how quick your bloqs and links work! This kind of clicking is a pleasure.

I appreciate the input into this thread much as I am kind of issed off with all the rubbish clicks one normally gets. Maybe I should alter my statement to 'surfing is rubbish'. You follow me?

Tnx!

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
The internet is pretty much like what we see in the real world. There are fun people and places, and annoying places as well. But it is still changing, and what it will wind up will be interesting.

People who know me in real life probably see me quite differently than people who know me on the various boards I visit. Perhaps a Blog will create a third image?

The best thing about writer’s sites is that you have doors. It’s not all one topic or group of personalities. You can wander in this room, or that, and depending on what you put in and get out, it can be pretty awesome. I am just putting together either a wed site or a Blog or both. That is more like my private bedroom, where people can get to know more if they want to. But the rest of my time is on board communities exchanging ideas.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have on average 20-30 visitors every day, and they're from all over the world. (Yeah, please visit my blogs and site :) ) It's interesting, though, that many people would only read one page or two. I wonder what that means... do my site or blogs bore them?

That brings me to a question: how much would we like to put ourselves out there? At first, it all sounds like fun and it's a rush when people read our blogs and, perhaps, comment on them. But as we become better known -- or let me rephrase it... as authors and writers, how much do we let on about our private lives and private thoughts? Or do we want to just show our serious/professional side and let the "personal" side hide behind our professional facade? I ponder about that once in a while, wondering as my book(s) come out, whether I need to scale back on the personal stuff.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
As a rule, I don't talk about my workplace (I talk about my work specifically, but that's a different thing), family or friends - a few exceptions like linking aside. You never know who's going to be reading it, although I know quite a few people who do, and it's very, very easy to cross a Line.

It's interesting, though, that many people would only read one page or two. I wonder what that means... do my site or blogs bore them?

Usually it means that they got there from a search and then moved on.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Richard said:
Usually it means that they got there from a search and then moved on.

Or it may mean that they are regularly checking up for the latest updates. Depends on what the refering URL is.

My blogs are relatively new. Seems my automotive blog is usually in the 15-20 hits per day range. I've sometimes had around 70 hits in one day when I posted a link to one of my articles on a forum where a lot of people were interested in that topic. Seems my readers for that blog come from all over the world. This blog is sort of a diary of my automotive projects, but I've also tried to cram it full of useful technical advice. I hope some people who find my articles useful might start linking to them and pull in more traffic.

I've also got a blog on restaurants in Newton and Rockdale Counties in Georgia. It usually gets only one or two hits a day. Not all that surprising since it's more regional, and I do less to promote it.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
What? The internet's dead AGAIN? Oh cripes, I wish someone would tell me.

(The internet does this a lot you see. Sort of like the home computer. They keep becoming "old and dead technology" right up till the point when they aren't.)

Out of curiosity, I went and checked a web-site I used to maintain a number of years ago, which is barely hanging onto the internet anymore and is certainly not advertised. Much to my surprise, I found that it's still getting two or three unique visitors per day. It was popular in its day, but is since long dead.

So don't worry. Go ahead and put up a site/blog. I mean, even if the visitors aren't poring in, it isn't always about the numbers. Do something useful and cool for the handful of people who DO visit, treat them decently, and that should be good enough. If you want a business perspective, then remember how important word-of-mouth is, on the 'net or off.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I just wandered around Blogger, and realized that I can't seem to track people using that either. Or rather, I probably can, but am too addled to know how. Ah well, dem's de breaks. To switch services would take away from writing time, so I'll just happily blogger-away.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
I just wandered around Blogger, and realized that I can't seem to track people using that either. Or rather, I probably can, but am too addled to know how. Ah well, dem's de breaks. To switch services would take away from writing time, so I'll just happily blogger-away.

It's not hard to add site meter to blogger...If I can do it I think anyone could.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post. We talk about this in the blogging forum, but the blogging sites themselves may not provide tracking, you just need to add it. There are lots of tracking services - check on other blogs to see what they use. I've noticed SiteTracker on lots of them. As I said above, it's pretty easy to add.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur in the world of blogging and websites. Come ask over at the Blogging forum - there are people there who do web design and would know.

Status
Not open for further replies.