PDA

View Full Version : Publisher/Agent Loyalty

doubt
12-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Since this is not strictly about writing and I have no idea where to dump it, I'm putting it in here. Hope it has a good audience here :)

Do you have any sort of brand loyalty or preference towards specific agents or publishing houses?

I ask because I used to read books at random, just picking them from the library/bookstore based on how I liked the title, cover or blurb, but now I'm settling into some patterns and have noticed two particular publishers and one agent who, I think, publish or represent a lot of books/authors I really like. So I'm more inclined to follow them and check anything upcoming that they may have. Doesn't mean I don't read anything else, I just feel like I'm more likely to give them a go.

If you have any preferences, which are they?

scarletpeaches
12-01-2011, 09:52 PM
I have more 'brand loyalty' when it comes to ebooks than I do with print. With print books, it's more like author loyalty in some cases, and I follow them to whichever publishing house they write for. But really, I grab any book that interests me.

With ebooks, I've stuck almost exclusively to Loose Id, Samhain and Total-e-Bound up to now. There are others, but those are the main ones. (That might change when my Kindle gets delivered.)

BigWords
12-01-2011, 11:51 PM
In general, no. I really will buy anything. Well... within reason - there's no way even I can be convinced to pick up a Zac Effon poster book or something. I do have a particular liking for Faber & Faber's film books, and there is something about the old Target books which really draws me to them, but I am much more likely to make an impulse purchase based on awesome cover art than anything else.

Jess Haines
12-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Nah, not really. I have a tendency to pick up anything that catches my fancy, and that's generally due to the back cover blurb and/or cover art. I rarely notice the publisher imprint, and hardly ever notice the author's agent connected to the book unless I'm feeling exceptionally bored and read the acknowledgments page or something.

BardSkye
12-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Nope. Author loyalty, yes; if I liked one book I'll pick up others by the same author and can rattle off who's in my collection. Haven't a clue who most of them are published by in most cases, I'd have to go look at the book.

Mr Flibble
12-02-2011, 02:15 AM
I've noticed that one agent and one publisher (though the pub redeemed itself just lately with a particular book) publish things...not to my taste. Not bad, just not my thing. Not what I want to read, even if the blurb makes it sound as if it is. So I usually avoid the pub's books,and that agent's if I notice (less likely tbh, I normally find out afterwards!).

But like I say, that pub released a book I'm hugely fond of just lately so....

FictionQuest
12-02-2011, 02:25 AM
Nope. Author loyalty, yes; if I liked one book I'll pick up others by the same author and can rattle off who's in my collection. Haven't a clue who most of them are published by in most cases, I'd have to go look at the book.

Ditto for me. I go almost entirely on recommendations. If a friend tells me they read a good book I will take a look, regardless of genre, author or publisher.

KyraDune
12-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Mostly I buy whatever strikes my fancy, but I am a huge Stephen King fan and I read alot of books published by TOR because they publish the kind of books I like.

msforster
12-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm in the "recomendations" crowd too. That said, I follow a lot of agents and editors and when certain ones say they like something or if they're excited about something, I pay attention. I know from experience if they like it, it's probably awesome.