PDA

View Full Version : info on agents

Hapygrl135
12-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Has anyone had any interaction or success with The Seymour Agency or The Van Diest Literary Agency? I just finished a contract with a very unscrupulous literary agent and I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Thanks,
KL

Gravity
12-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Dave Van Diest is solid. I met him at this year's Glorieta Christian Writer's conference, where he and I were on staff together. Neat young guy.

John

ldumont999
12-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Janet Kobobel Grant is also an excellent agent and so is Wendy Lawton. The two of them make up Books and Such Literary Agency (http://www.janetgrant.com/index.html) Chip McGregor was a great agent but I think he took and editor's job about a year ago and isn't agenting any longer.

silentpoet
12-19-2005, 10:18 PM
ldumont999, do you know if they are accepting new picture books? The listing in Christian Writers market says they do represent picture books. But I did not see much on the website of that genre. I also have some works in progress other than picture books, but picture books are what I have most ready for publication. I have some nonfiction books in progress, but nothing nearly as ready as the stuff for kids.

The website did impress me as being very professional and I was considering sending a query out, but thought I might ask first.

Lady of Prose
12-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Good information about the agents, everyone. Thanks.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a freelance copy editor for Christian fiction. I am almost finished with re-write and ready for submission, but want to have it checked over before querying agents or publishers. You can PM me or post it here.

Thanks.

ldumont999
12-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Since I don't write picture books, I never really paid much attention to their listings in that area. I do know they have a few authors who write them. I couldn't hurt to submit a query. Janet is great both as a person and an agent. Wendy just came on board this year. I don't know her very well but I can't imagine Janet taking on anyone who wasn't top notch. Send a query and see what happens.

silentpoet
12-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words. I will try to get a query out this week.

I just sent out an e-query. Wish me luck.