• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Noir Nation

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
They're a paying market. Not many of them in noir/crime.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
They're a paying market. Not many of them in noir/crime.

I was thinking of submitting a flash to them. Just wondering if there were any warnings out. I'll check P+E as well before I do.

The only thing ringing alarm bells is the amount they pay for subs. Seems on the high side.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Keep us posted if you don't mind, MirandaShell, and good luck. I submitted a short, but I have no idea what their response time is... for that matter, did you get a confirmation on your sub? I have heard nought. I'm pretty excited about them: their cover art for issue one is chillingly attractive.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
No, I didn't.

They do promise on their website that any subber will hear back. But nothing about how long it takes.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
They just today tweeted that the deadline for Issue 2 is the 22nd.

https://twitter.com/#!/NoirNation/status/149143247212642304

I found a similar tweet a couple of weeks ago which mentioned that the issue should be coming out in February, so I've been assuming that submitters will hear something back in January/February.

I hope this helps!

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Posted on the Noir Nation facebook page today...

"The Noir Nation submissions deadline has passed. We will start reading again in late 2012. Writers who submitted works for Issue No. 2 -- The Tattoo Issue -- will learn over the next several weeks the decisions of the editors, sans the lumps we have been given each other as we fight over manuscripts."

A Google search convinced me that "Tattoo Issue" does not refer to a fiction theme but rather an informal name the staff had given the 2nd issue and plans to use for interstitial artwork.

So, it sounds like those of us with subs out there should hear something by end of January.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
eeep. thank you! I saw that "tattoo" title and thought I missed a theme, was wracking my brain to see if any of my characters had tats.

Here's hoping for us...

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
eeep. thank you! I saw that "tattoo" title and thought I missed a theme, was wracking my brain to see if any of my characters had tats.

Here's hoping for us...

Yes, I had a moment or two of angst over that myself...

Best of luck to you!

Edited to add: Here's the link to the interview referencing the "informal title" http://pdbrazill.blogspot.com/2011/11/eddie-vega-interview.html

And here's the relevant quote...
"It remains my hope that one day noir photography will be a regular part of Noir Nation. For the next issue, which we are informally calling the Tattoo Issue, we are planning to use photographs of tattoos as section dividers."

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I heard back from Noir Nation yesterday. It was a very nice, personal reply. Most of which you can see below.

I have to say I don't agree with their view of the story. But then I wouldn't, would I? :tongue

I'll definitely submit to them again though.

Thank you for submitting “Blood” to Noir Nation. We could use more flash fiction to balance our longer stories. I thought your opening was strong and morbidly funny, someone sees blood and does not know its source. The answer though came in the form of exposition, which we thought weakened the story and the ending was flippant. It needed either a somber ending or a lighthearted one. Not one that seemed dismissive. There was an especially large number of submissions. Nevertheless, please know that there were several editors who read your work. In the end we could not agree to include your story in our next issue. We hope you find a home for it. And Soon.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hasn't published anything since '14. Still active on social media, though.

ETA: resumed publishing in '17.

Last edited: