• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a Beta- YA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in beta reading my YA manuscript? I've gone through two rounds of betas already (thanks so much guys!) but would like a fresh pair of eyes on this draft. A couple of agents have requested partials, and one full. One partial was rejected because the agent "wasn't swept away by it", so I feel like I should go over it again and see if I can make it better. (I haven't heard back from the other partial or the full yet).

I'll work with any type of beta: grammar nazi, plot perfectionist, and anything in between. All types and viewpoints are helpful!

I'm willing to swap manuscripts. If you're interested, let me know. Here is my query:

Seventeen-year-old Pollock Avery has stolen everything from priceless gems to rare paintings. Her electrokinesis allows her to short out security systems with a quick zap, then it's easy as rolling out of bed to nab an ancient artifact.

It's no regular after school job, but the money keeps her and her little sister out of the foster system. Then a stranger offers Pollock information on her parents' murder. In exchange, Pollock must steal exclusively for him. Desperate to know who killed her parents, Pollock accepts the arrangement.

But the deal ends when Pollock's new employer decides he'd rather harvest the key to Pollock's abilities by kidnapping her for experimentation. Pollock slips out of his grasp, but she can't stop him from taking her little sister in her place. For his purposes, any Avery with abilities will do.

Now Pollock must face the reality that the man she's worked for is who killed her parents. And will kill her sister too if Pollock doesn't get her back.

PLAYING WITH FIRE, a young adult novel, is complete at 78,000 words

Last edited:

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
I can't commit to being a Beta right now, but I would if I were able. Your query caught my attention and kept it all the way to the end. I'm curious about a number of things and I'm glad you didn't hit on them all in the query, otherwise it would have given up a good part of the story. Great work!

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I'd been worried my query wasn't hitting the mark, but you made me feel better about it!

Last edited:

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a time limit that you would like it read by? Looking at my schedule, I could probably give it a shot. More for interest than grammar and such.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a time frame. Of course sooner is always better than later, but I'm not in a rush. I'd love to have someone read it just for their impressions (I'm still open to anyone else who wants to go more in depth too though). If you'd like to read it, send me a PM with your info and I'll send you the first few chapters, then you can decide if you want to keep reading. Thanks!

strandedhero

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really read urban fantasy so I'm no good for this but I did want to compliment your story too. I love the name Pollock for an art thief, awesome!

Sunny Moonlight

Sippin'&Writin'
Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested. I've never been a beta before but I like to read. Is that good enough?

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment strandedhero! Glad you caught the name.

SunnyMoonlight, thanks for the offer, but I've gotten several responses so I think I'm good for now. If I decide to go through another round I'll let you know. Thanks again! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.