PDA

View Full Version : Book Deal Question

THingleton
11-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Hi Guys,
I have a question about a book deal that I read about in publishers weekly--this was from an August issue, but I just read about it yesterday when I looked up the author's name.

I am currently reading the "The Murderer's Daughters" which was a debut book published by St. Martin's and is an international bestseller and I am loving the book. Found out that the author sold her next two books to Atria at auction.

How does this happen? Wouldn't you think that St Martin's would have signed her to at least a two book deal when they bought her first book? How does her next two books, which would be her 2nd and 3rd book, go to auction w/o St. Martins at least having the right of first refusal? Especially since her first book was a bestseller?

Does this mean that the publishing companies are now only signing one book deals?

Thanks

Corinne Duyvis
11-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Sometimes people sign deals for only one book. It's not uncommon at all. They couldn't have known her book would turn out like that.

Maybe St Martin's did have the right of first refusal and the book wasn't up their alley. Or she offered them another book first and that was turned down, so she was free to go wherever with this one. Or they did see this book, but they didn't offer a good enough deal. Or the book is in a different enough genre that it wasn't covered by the contract... There are loads of options. You don't know what went on behind the scenes or what her contract looked like.

Whatever happened, this one situation doesn't signify any sort of trend. Every book and author are different. Don't worry about it.

THingleton
11-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Thanks Corinne for responding...now worries. It was just interesting info since the book did so well...