PDA

View Full Version : Miscellanea: A transdimensional library [$10/300 words]

roach
11-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Open for submissions January 1, 2012:

Inspired by such fantasy libraries as those found in Robin McKinley’s Beauty and Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series, Eggplant Literary Productions presents Miscellanea: a transdimensional library. The shelves will be filled with books of the other: books that have never existed and that haven’t been written yet. What I am looking for are excerpts from such books.

I’m looking for works 300 words in length or shorter. These must be works that have not been published elsewhere, that will not be published for the 6 months they’ll be featured on the library. I’m keeping my expectations wide open with this project: excerpts from fiction works, otherworldly recipes, snatches of poetry, faux reviews of imagined books, articles from cryptozoological texts, parapsychology manuals, works written in fairy languages, pictograms or mathematical equations, footnotes, even dedications are fair game. Let’s get creative here.

Please don’t submit anything that uses copyrighted or trademarked characters or worlds. The excerpts shouldn’t be complete stories in regards to plot or character. Although they should certainly lead the reader to believe that they are part of a larger, complete work. As with all the best excerpts and quotes, they should evoke curiosity on the reader as to what the whole is like.

The excerpt will appear on the website for 6 months. We’ll pay $10 (US) upon acceptance for published works.

Send submissions to submissions@eggplantproductions.com. Send questions to eggplant@eggplantproductions.com. Send your submission in the body of the e-mail. Make sure to include all your contact information in the e-mail as well.

roach
12-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Just a reminder that I am not open to submissions until January 1, 2012. I'm still working on website and back end business related stuff and won't be reading any submissions until then. (Although it is very encouraging to see people jumping the gun and sending stuff in already.)

Filigree
12-05-2011, 02:18 AM
I'll keep you in mind, Roach! This sounds like an amazing project.

alexshvartsman
12-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Hrm, I have something that might be a good fit, but it's a tad longer (under 450 words, can probably be tightened to 400). How firm are you on the upper word limit?

roach
12-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Hrm, I have something that might be a good fit, but it's a tad longer (under 450 words, can probably be tightened to 400). How firm are you on the upper word limit?

Since the idea is that these are excerpts from books, a pared down entry would work just fine.

I'm going to be firm on the 300 word limit just because it would make it too easy to start letting it slide higher and higher (a sort of reverse slippery slope, if you will).

However, I will point out that I'm not in the habit of running these things through a word count program or anything. *cough*justsaying*cough*

alexshvartsman
12-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks a lot for the prompt response, and I'll try to come up with something for you by early January.

heza
12-13-2011, 11:31 PM
I feel stupid for not understanding this.

I mean it sounds terribly fun, and I can spin out excerpts from non-existent books all day... in fact, I do it all the time. I have probably 30 such snippets on my laptop right now.

But... I don't quite get the point of this (or why anyone would pay someone to do this). I don't really get what's being done with the product (and therefore, quite what is expected in a submission.) Is this really just a showcase of excerpts from non-existent books? What does that do for the press? Is it a marketing gimmick or to pull in traffic? Or... is the non-existent book expected to be written sometime later?

Somebody help me connect the dots... :( I don't know what the goal is, so I'm not sure what to work on.

Filigree
12-14-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm looking at it as a cross between marketing hook and just-for-fun ephemera. But then, I'm a huge fan of fictional and mythical libraries, and I'm a book artist in another life. I have my 300-word snippet ready to go, along with my cover letter, for January 1.

roach
12-14-2011, 06:20 AM
I feel stupid for not understanding this.

I mean it sounds terribly fun, and I can spin out excerpts from non-existent books all day... in fact, I do it all the time. I have probably 30 such snippets on my laptop right now.

But... I don't quite get the point of this (or why anyone would pay someone to do this). I don't really get what's being done with the product (and therefore, quite what is expected in a submission.) Is this really just a showcase of excerpts from non-existent books? What does that do for the press? Is it a marketing gimmick or to pull in traffic? Or... is the non-existent book expected to be written sometime later?

Somebody help me connect the dots... :( I don't know what the goal is, so I'm not sure what to work on.

Hi heza!

You aren't stupid at all. I know this is a weird concept.

The short answer is that its just for fun. I have always been in love with the idea of meta-storytelling: the stories and books that include "articles" and other bits of writing that aren't part of the story but are meant to add a layer of verisimilitude. Think the articles include in The Books of the Great Alta by Jane Yolen, or at the end of Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. These little glimpses into more of the world than the main thrust of the story.

I especially love the concept of L-Space in Pratchett's Discworld novels: that all libraries in all dimensions are connected and that if you wander deep enough into the stacks you can find yourself in another world.

I've always thought a website is the perfect place to play around with this concept.

I have samples to put up, but we're still working on the website. It's been a bit frustrating not being able to go "live" with examples by now. The last time I was running Eggplant I could go from concept to call for submissions to website in twenty-four hours. Of course I was younger and didn't have two kids or costuming commissions to compete with my time.

I'll be posting a link to the website as soon as we have it ready. I hope you'll come and visit then!

/mostlikelyunnecessarylyramblingreply

heza
12-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the information, roach. I'll wait for the site to go live and see if I have anything that runs along the line of the examples.

Filigree
12-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Roach, check out the artwork of David Gista.

http://www.davidgistart.com

silentpoet
12-14-2011, 10:43 AM
I can come up with 300 words. I have a WIP that is nowhere near ready, but I can maybe take a small piece of it and polish it up a bit.

J.W. Alden
12-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Hi Roach! I love different/strange concepts, so I'm very interested in this.

Will multiple submissions be accepted, or will we need to throw them at you one at a time? :P

roach
12-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Roach, check out the artwork of David Gista.

http://www.davidgistart.com

Ooooh! I love these! The Club Dumas is my favorite, partly because The Ninth Gate is one of my favorite movies. (I know, I know.)

roach
12-15-2011, 05:40 AM
Hi Roach! I love different/strange concepts, so I'm very interested in this.

Will multiple submissions be accepted, or will we need to throw them at you one at a time? :P

Multiple submissions are quite welcome! Although, please do put each submission in its own e-mail. That will help with record keeping.

Filigree
12-15-2011, 07:16 AM
I'm a complete library and book geek, so I'm always scoping out book and text-related art.

MysteryRiter
12-16-2011, 08:41 AM
This looks really cool! I'll try to remember!

knightrunnermat
12-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Looking forward to this. I have two samples edited and ready to go!

roach
01-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Just a quick update that we are now open for submissions. Happy New Year, everyone!

mhaynes
01-05-2012, 08:02 AM
I just sent in my submission. I hope you enjoy it. Either way, I had fun writing it!

knightrunnermat
01-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Just sent two submissions in for this. It looks like an exciting project.

MysteryRiter
01-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Submission sent! ;) I'm not sure how good the excerpt actually is but I've grown pretty fond of it. Then again, it could be horrible. I'm always in my own little world when it comes to writing. :D
Good luck with the project. Since I am (stupidly) missing a date for when submissions close, do you have an average response time for this? Thanks.

roach
01-08-2012, 07:05 AM
There's no close date for submissions at this time. In the guidelines I wrote to expect a one to two month response time. I'm anticipating that it will be closer to the one month than longer, but I wanted the extra time in there to take into account whatever delays might pop up.

MysteryRiter
01-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Ok, cool. Thanks. :)

roach
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Just posting an update here:

I am caught up with submissions through February 9, 2012. If you sent a submission before that date and haven't heard back you might have been victim of the borked e-mail address link on the guidelines.

Please resend your submission.

Thanks to MysteryRiter for pointing out the e-mail problem last week.

Filigree
03-14-2012, 08:02 AM
I never heard from you, so I just re-sent mine.