PDA

View Full Version : Dancing with Bear Publishing

RaineeRose
11-29-2011, 06:53 AM
I've never submitted any of my writing to publishers, so I don't know much about the process. However, a friend of mine was just offered a contract with Dancing with Bear Publishing (http://www.dancingwithbearpublishing.com/), and I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about this company. Thank you for your help. :)

Unimportant
11-29-2011, 07:21 AM
They look quite new, focussed on YA/adult Christian romance. Most of the books they've published appear to have been written by the owner/staff. They're publishing via CreateSpace, which as far as I know means pretty much zero distribution.

What is your friend's expectation of sales/earnings? Has s/he tried other, more established Christian publishers?

RaineeRose
11-29-2011, 07:31 AM
They look quite new, focussed on YA/adult Christian romance. Most of the books they've published appear to have been written by the owner/staff. They're publishing via CreateSpace, which as far as I know means pretty much zero distribution.

What is your friend's expectation of sales/earnings? Has s/he tried other, more established Christian publishers?

I'm not sure what her expectations are. I do know that she's been trying to find an agent or publisher for several months. I don't know much about CreateSpace, but I think my friend is anticipating wide distribution. Perhaps she needs to think about this a little longer before accepting the offer.

Unimportant
11-29-2011, 10:17 PM
I'd guess your friend might sell a few hundred copies at most with this outfit. I looked at one of their recent books on Amazon, and it had a ranking of 3 million plus.

Is your friend's book a Christian romance?

RaineeRose
11-30-2011, 03:59 AM
I'd guess your friend might sell a few hundred copies at most with this outfit. I looked at one of their recent books on Amazon, and it had a ranking of 3 million plus.

Is your friend's book a Christian romance?

No, it's YA.

Unimportant
11-30-2011, 05:18 AM
YA doesn't have to be full of sex and violence to sell to the larger presses. Your friend may want to review the list of agents/publishers she's tried to date, and widen the net a bit -- or, perhaps, revise her ms consistent with any advice she's received in personalised rejections. (If she's queried widely and not received anything but form rejections, that too may be telling her something....)

RaineeRose
11-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for your help. I know that she's done a lot of querying and that some have asked her to make changes to the structure, which she tried to do but said didn't work for her story. I've read her book and feel like she's written something good. I just want her to have the most exposure possible, but if she's happy, then I will be, too.

Thanks again!

Unimportant
11-30-2011, 10:18 PM
There's no reason your friend can't ask a lot of very frank questions of Bear. Current sales figures for their other books, venues the books have sold through, etc. And to take a look at their contract; while they boast it's fairer than most and pays authors more, it's always good to go through it clause by clause.

misspositive
12-22-2011, 06:25 AM
You're 100% wrong, Unimportant. The books published by DWB are NOT all authored by staff writers. I'm NOT on staff and I've had a book published by them.

DWB is a small, but traditional publisher who does pay royalties. They are VERY easy to work with, and authors don't get "lost in the shuffle" as they would with a larger publisher.

I don't know what book you looked at Amazon (surely wasn't mine) but I didn't see a book ranked 3 million plus.

DWB outsources their printing (like many other small pubs) because it's more cost effective.

veinglory
12-22-2011, 06:29 AM
I don't know what book you looked at Amazon (surely wasn't mine) but I didn't see a book ranked 3 million plus.

I see three print books from them on Amazon, one unrated (no sales yet) and 62 pages long, one at about 2 million and one at about 5 million.

amergina
12-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Most of the books they've published appear to have been written by the owner/staff.

Bolding is mine.

You're 100% wrong, Unimportant. The books published by DWB are NOT all authored by staff writers. I'm NOT on staff and I've had a book published by them.

Unimportant said "most appear to be written by the owner/staff"

Misspositive, you say that "NOT all are authored by staff"

These statements are not mutually exclusive, therefore Unimportant is not 100% wrong.

Unimportant
12-22-2011, 08:04 AM
At the time I posted that in November, there were few books listed and most were by the publisher/owner.

As of today (22 December, 5:02 pm NZ time), a search on Amazon for books by DWBP, ranked by bestselling, pulls up as the first/top selling book "Blood on the Feather", which was released in Sept 2011, and which at this precise moment has a sales rank of 2,000,281.

Whether DWBP is a good choice is up to the individual author. What's right for one person is dead wrong for another.

ResearchGuy
12-22-2011, 08:07 AM
. . . a ranking of 3 million plus.. . .
Meaning one copy sold, sometime in past several months or longer.

--Ken

annatangent
12-31-2011, 09:33 AM
I see three print books from them on Amazon, one unrated (no sales yet) and 62 pages long, one at about 2 million and one at about 5 million.

They have their own children's line now: dwbchildrensline.com

It looks as if they use Createspace for their printing, which someone mentioned earlier.

Click on the titles, type the names in the Amazon search box, and you'll find them there.

If it's true there's a total of 5 million books, the children's books seem to be doing very well and rank 1,000,000 or a little over.

Granted, I'm a newbie to the profession, but I can't understand the snobbery towards the smaller presses.

escritora
12-31-2011, 09:46 AM
They have their own children's line now: dwbchildrensline.com

It looks as if they use Createspace for their printing, which someone mentioned earlier.

Click on the titles, type the names in the Amazon search box, and you'll find them there.

If it's true there's a total of 5 million books, the children's books seem to be doing very well and rank 1,000,000 or a little over.

Granted, I'm a newbie to the profession, but I can't understand the snobbery towards the smaller presses.

Well, you aren't doing the publisher any favors. The ranking you cited is lousy.

Stick around. You'll learn lots here, including the fact that this subforum is here to educate writers on publishers. You'll quickly learn the comments made on this thread have nothing to do with Bear being a small press.

Welcome! (Meant sincerely. No snark)

annatangent
12-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Thank you for the welcome, and I mean that with warmth as well. :o)

Just curious, what's the title and ranking of your book on Amazon, so I'll know what to aim for when my book is there (hopefully).

Katrina S. Forest
12-31-2011, 05:55 PM
annatangent, we don't have anything against small presses. But we do want authors to have realistic expectations when they sign with one.

From what I can tell, here's what an author gives up and gets in return at Dancing with Bear:

For 50% of the profits on your books, they'll do some editing (I'm unclear on the editing experience of the staff so this may or may not be useful), give you free cover art, and click the buttons on CreateSpace for you.

For some writers, that may be all they want and that's fine. But at least they're going into it knowledgable.

Stacia Kane
12-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Just curious, what's the title and ranking of your book on Amazon, so I'll know what to aim for when my book is there (hopefully).

Why do you need the ranking of Escritora's book? Your assumption seems to be that Escritora would only be informing you that the ranking you mention is a poor one if her book was ranked higher. That's not at all the case, and her publishing status has nothing at all to do with Amazon's ranking system. She didn't say "That ranking isn't great because mine is better." She said "That ranking isn't great," and she said it because it's the truth.

Amazon ranks indicate how many books are selling better or worse than a particular book. Several people have done estimates of rankings and what actual numbers sold they mean (the general consensus is that a ranking of a million means maybe a couple of copies sold in the last three months or so) but since the rankings are based on several factors it's really impossible to say with absolute certainty that a ranking of, say, 15,000 equals 10 books sold that week, or whatever.

A better way to see for yourself just how poor a 1,000,000 ranking is would be to look at the rankings of other children's books (I'd suggest that's a better ranking to "aim for," as well, as opposed to Escritora's). As of this moment, the Children's Bestsellers seem to be ranked overall (as opposed to their rankings in their category) between 100 and 200--even #100 on the Children's Bestseller list is ranked around 200 overall, not just in children's books but all books on Amazon. Yes, those are bestsellers, but it shows you just how far behind the million-ranked books are.

Here are a couple of (http://www.fonerbooks.com/surfing.htm) charts (http://www.rampant-books.com/mgt_amazon_sales_rank.htm) you can look at to see more. Here's a succinct summary (http://www.thepassionatewriter.com/amazon-ranking-explained/), too.

escritora
12-31-2011, 08:20 PM

In my case, it's books. Ditto everything Stacia said.

IceCreamEmpress
12-31-2011, 08:55 PM

How is it "snobbery" to elaborate on what volume of sales correspond with what Amazon ranking?

An Amazon ranking of 1,000,000 usually means sales of fewer than 10 copies via Amazon in the last three months. An Amazon ranking of 3,000,000 usually means sales of fewer than 3 copies via Amazon in the last three months. Now, sure, Amazon isn't the only game in town, but if that's the keystone of a publisher's marketing efforts, the results speak for themselves.

priceless1
12-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Given that you're new to the industry, it's helpful to ask questions rather than make assumptions. There is no snobbery toward small presses. However, there are always a lot more questions regarding new small presses because they don't have a track record, so the natural questions are about their financial solvency, editing, marketing, promotion, and distribution. This is what smart authors do when looking at publishers.

The fact that this publisher uses CreateSpace means they have zero distribution - meaning their books won't be in the stores or libraries.

We don't know about their marketing and promotion, but if they're using CreateSpace for their printing services, I'd wager they don't have a lot of money to put into this end of the business. Without marketing a book, it's very hard for anyone to know a book exists.

Since they're new, we can't verify their editing talents.

In short, there are a lot of unanswered questions regarding this publisher. As such, one has to ask what makes this publisher a wise choice, considering there are many other publishers who do have a track record. It's not snobbery that makes us ask these questions, but rather, we want authors to have all the information in order to make wise decisions that will favorably impact their writing careers.

veinglory
12-31-2011, 11:21 PM
I generally only perk up with ranks under 50,000 (about a sale per week) if the press is predominantly aiming at the print market.

Unimportant
12-31-2011, 11:43 PM

While there may be individuals who are snobbish toward small presses, I doubt you'll find many on Absolute Write. Quite a few of us have published with small presses and are very happy about it.

The small press as an institution is great. But not every individual small press is great.

JL_Benet
01-01-2012, 12:01 AM
The fact that this publisher uses CreateSpace means they have zero distribution - meaning their books won't be in the stores or libraries.
I don't know that this is necessarily true now (although it would have been last year). Createspace has added Expanded Distribution, so the books are now easier to get into libraries and other stores. This still isn't distribution in the sense of having a sales force pushing the books, but it does allow bookstores and libraries to order the books through their normal channels.
The plan the publishers have to buy in to to get the Expanded Distribution also gives them better profits and, if memory serves, allows for returns.
On the Amazon side of sales (where most small presses who utilize POD sell their books), there are now policies in place that favor Createspace books over those printed by Lightning Source (the other top POD printer). One important change was to list these titles (most of them) as "ships in 3-4 weeks" as opposed to "in stock" or "ships in 1-2 days." This isn't from personal experience, but those I've talked to who have books through Lightning Source have seen a huge drop-off in sales with the new policy.

ResearchGuy
01-01-2012, 12:27 AM
. . . On the Amazon side of sales (where most small presses who utilize POD sell their books), there are now policies in place that favor Createspace books over those printed by Lightning Source (the other top POD printer). One important change was to list these titles (most of them) as "ships in 3-4 weeks" as opposed to "in stock" or "ships in 1-2 days." . . . .
I am a victim of that scam. Not that I'm going to sell more than a handful of books through that channel anyway, but still, their self-serving policy is irksome. I have to keep reminding myself to refer folks to bn.com (or just sell direct), not to Amazon.

--Ken

priceless1
01-01-2012, 04:32 AM
CreateSpace isn't true distribution where you have scores of sales teams, both in-house and independent, whose sole job is to pitch your titles to the genre buyers and libraries. Thar be a huuuuge difference.

DWBPublishing
03-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Hello,

I saw your posts about my publishing company and wanted to invite you to ask any questions you'd like.

In the meantime, I'd like to tell you a little about us.

We began in June 2010 and are thrilled to be celebrating our 2nd anniversary in just a few months. The reason DWB began was because, as an author with more than 20 books published by 9 publishers, I was tired of not making any money. Then my first husband passed away, our children, grandchildren, and myself were devastated of course. To help with the grief, I wrote Dancing With Bear: A Love Story, a biography of our life together. (It went on to win 2nd place in the Sharp Writ Awards sponsored by Mensa, 2010)

Not wanting something so personal to be in the hands of another publisher who couldn't care less about me or my story, I decided to self-publish. Then, after thinking about it for a while, I decided to honor Bear's memory by starting my own publishing company called Dancing With Bear in his memory. I wanted to help new authors to learn the mechanics of writing, to learn how to submit to publishers and give them a fair contract.

We do not charge authors anything, of course. And I would like to remind everyone, especially new authors, money flows from the publisher to the author, not the other way around and if any publisher asks you for money, move on. I've heard too many horror stories of people paying their life savings for the sake of a contract and all they get is a garage full of books.

Our contract is 50% split. We provide ISBN, cover art, editing, promotion, etc.

I do recall someone saying something about us using Create Space, and that means no promo, and that we are low on the list at Amazon. So let me address that.

We do use Create Space, but some of the largest on line publishers also do, such as Silver Publishing, eXcessica, and Champagne Books. As far as Amazon goes, we do not depend on Amazon or it's rankings. Amazon is merely one of the places our books are available because Create Space sends them there. (Create Space and Amazon are the same company.)
We provide promotion, plus our authors are constantly giving interviews, on the radio, appearing on TV morning shows, and at book signings all year long.

Now, as to my own books that are available on our site. As I said earlier, I had more than 20 books published with 9 publishers. Unfortunately, when I first began submitting to publishers, I got my fair share of rejections, but that first publisher who offered me a contract also requested that my sweet romance was turned into erotic romance. Like so many new authors, I was so thrilled to have a "real" publisher wanting my work, I gave in and the publisher taught me how to write "those" books. I became very good at it.

The problem that came with that is that I am a Christian and everything I was doing went against my beliefs and then I had to drink to even write the smut I was selling! After Bear died, I had to re-evaluate my life and my writing and where I was going. After much prayer and long talks with God, I requested my publishers to release my contracts and pull my books. All but the first publisher did. So now I am rewriting all of those books to how they were intended to be in the first place, and I'm writing non-fiction Christian self-help and I'm very proud of that work.

I have only one other staff member, Bobbie Shaffer, who is the sub editor and CEO and all-around I-couldn't-do-this-without-her assistant. We first met when she submitted a manuscript, and we became friends, and then partners in the business. She is wonderful and I am so grateful to have her as a colleague and friend.

All of our authors are like family and very supportive of one another. I can't imagine doing anything else and I'm so happy to be where I am with God and with Dancing With Bear!

Please feel free to join our Yahoo! group and chat with our authors. Or with me! We are all very proud of DWB and the direction it's going this year, and we'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dancingwithbearpublishing/

Thank you,
Marie McGaha

DWBPublishing
03-10-2013, 08:27 PM
We do much more than "click buttons." I wrote a reply to help clear up some of these questions. I hope it does and you are always welcome to join our Yahoo! group and ask our authors anything you'd like. We are small, we are profitable, and very supportive of one another. With all the publishers coming and going, I do understand your misgivings. It would not be prudent to jump into a contract with anyone without asking questions. And I have a lot of experience in this business as author, editor and now publisher. I do not want to get "big" and I'm very selective of what we publish. Of course, all subs go through my sub editor before I ever see them and if you get past her, you've done well!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dancingwithbearpublishing/

Thank you for your comments!

Marie McGaha

annatangent, we don't have anything against small presses. But we do want authors to have realistic expectations when they sign with one.

From what I can tell, here's what an author gives up and gets in return at Dancing with Bear:

For 50% of the profits on your books, they'll do some editing (I'm unclear on the editing experience of the staff so this may or may not be useful), give you free cover art, and click the buttons on CreateSpace for you.

For some writers, that may be all they want and that's fine. But at least they're going into it knowledgable.

DWBPublishing
03-10-2013, 09:08 PM
I encourage Christian authors to check out my company, Dancing With Bear Publishing, www.dancingwithbearpublishing.com. Please feel free to chat with our authors and ask them what they think, they will be honest, which I expect from everyone who publishes with us. We are small, will have our 2nd anniversary in June, and even though we don't publish a lot of books, what we do publish is quality. We also provide promotions, and do everything we can to make sure you are successful with us! You can contact our authors through our Yahoo! group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dancingwithbearpublishing/?yguid=487147931

Good luck in your endeavors!
Marie McGaha

ResearchGuy
03-10-2013, 11:59 PM
I encourage Christian authors to check out my company, Dancing With Bear Publishing, www.dancingwithbearpublishing.com (http://www.dancingwithbearpublishing.com). . . .
No offense intended, but this is really odd: YOU MUST FOLLOW THE FORMATTING GUIDELINES OR YOUR SUBMISSION WILL NOT BE READ! [And the details that follow.]

Most peculiar. A normal publisher would take any reasonably formatted file in a standard word-processing file format and do what is necessary to edit and format it for publication, if accepted.

It is the author's job to write the best book he or she can and to provide it in a reasonable format, not to vex himself or herself over minutiae and to do the publisher's formatting or design work.

Pardon me if this seems a bit cranky, but the requirements just jumped off the page at me.

[Edited to add: kudos on other aspects of your operations as you described them.]

--Ken

triceretops
03-11-2013, 12:36 AM
No offense intended, but this is really odd: YOU MUST FOLLOW THE FORMATTING GUIDELINES OR YOUR SUBMISSION WILL NOT BE READ! [And the details that follow.]

Most peculiar. A normal publisher would take any reasonably formatted file in a standard word-processing file format and do what is necessary to edit and format it for publication, if accepted.

It is the author's job to write the best book he or she can and to provide it in a reasonable format, not to vex himself or herself over minutiae and to do the publisher's formatting or design work.

Pardon me if this seems a bit cranky, but the requirements just jumped off the page at me.

[Edited to add: kudos on other aspects of your operations as you described them.]

--Ken

Although I'm endeared to the mission statement of Bear, I have agree with this. To me, this is an automatic rejection for a publisher and I've doled out more than one for this reason alone. I'm not a formatting guru, in fact, I had to have mine done for my first self-publishing venture. I don't know a hard-return from a semi-soft one. I've always had my publishers take care of this task and, luckily so they obliged and done the job right. I'd be apt to screw it up, requiring additional, time, money and energy.

tri

DWBPublishing
03-11-2013, 03:37 AM
If you saw some of the submissions we have received, you would understand. Some of them don't even put them in a word doc, but embed them in the email.

I remember when I was researching publishers trying to get published and thought the sub guidelines were ridiculous too, but any author who can't follow submission guidelines of what font, size, and how to indent, (and if you think that's unreasonable, you really need to read other pubs guidelines), they probably are going to be a pain in the editing process too.

We get a lot of submissions and it helps us decide who can follow rules and who can't.

Will we dump someone who sends us a mss. in Times New Roman instead of Trebuchet MS? No, of course not, but to know an author cares enough about their work to follow the rules makes them stand out.

--Ken

DWBPublishing
03-11-2013, 03:52 AM
I never liked those stupid guidelines either until I became a publisher. These are 3 of the pubs I was with, along with their guidelines.

These are Champagne Books guidelines:
http://champagnebooks.com/submissions.htm

Guidelines

Only submit finished works please. We don't want to wait for you to complete your novel if we're excited about your initial submission. Word counts are to be approximately 25,000 words for novellas, 70-80,000 words for full length novels. Be sure to proof read your manuscript thoroughly. Your manuscript should be double spaced, New Times Roman 12 point, with one inch borders. No footers or headers, but please include contact information on the top line of each attachment, so that we are able to contact you should your submission get separated from your query letter.

We no longer take simultaneous submissions, so please do not submit your manuscript to us if you have sent it elsewhere.

Your submission package must include the following:

1) A professional query letter which includes the title of your novel, word count, genre, a brief biography and your contact information. Include this in the body of your email.

2) A synopsis of your book that describes the story from beginning to end. Please keep it to 2-3 pages in length. Attach it to your email in RTF format. Please give your synopsis an appropriate title, not simply 'synopsis'. ie: Synopsis-The Winner.

3) First three chapters, saved in RTF format and attached to your email. Please name your partial manuscript appropriately, ie: Partial-The Winner.

4) A promotional plan, showing short term and long term goals. While your submission won't be won or lost on the basis of this 'plan', it will get you thinking about what you can do to help promote your novel. Saved in RTF format and attached to your email.

Email your submissions to:

submissions@champagnebooks.com (submissions@champagnebooks.com)

submissions@carnalpassions.com (submissions@carnalpassions.com)

submissions@burstbooks.ca

These guidelines are from Silver Publishing:
https://spsilverpublishing.com/submission-guidelines-ezp-20.html?zenid=1a47c0ff221bffdd9be36a35148cee41
FORMATTING YOUR SUBMISSION

Please follow these simple formatting guidelines.

Manuscripts will be accepted in the following formats: .docx, .doc, .rtf, and .txt
1.5 line spacing.
Standard 12 pt serif font such as Times New Roman is preferred.
1 inch margins (left, right, top and bottom) with a 0 .5 indent for the first line of each paragraph only.
No “tabs” or spacing to indent the first paragraph line are to be used. Manuscripts with tab and space indents will be rejected immediately.
Page numbers on the bottom center of each page.
Header of manuscript must contain author name and title. Example: Book Title by Author Name
All submissions must be spell-checked and edited based on US English or UK English grammar and spelling standards.
Regional words and slang are accepted when appropriate.

These are submission guidelines from eXcessica Publishing:
MSS FORMATING

Attach ONE document .doc (Word) or .rtf (Rich Text File)
Email subject line: EXCESSICA SUBMISSION: TITLE OF WORK
1 inch margins all the way around
Arial —12 point font
double line spacing
0.5 at beginning of each paragraph
No extra returns between paragraphs
Use * * * * (four asterisks with spaces in between – center this on its own line) between scene breaks
In longer works, begin chapters with the word “Chapter” followed by the chapter number

Insert hard page breaks between chapters

The first page and your cover email must contain at top left:
Name (real/pen)
Email address
Title of work
Word Count
Genre(s)
Firebolt/Heat Level
Warnings (Ex: This title contains f/f sex, nonconsensual and anal sex)
Short synopsis

A NOTE ON EDITING: When it comes to editing, we expect you to be incredibly diligent about your work. It needs to be as error-free as possible before submission. Your mss will be read and reviewed for both content and errors. If your mss has clearly been sent to us unedited, it will be returned to you. Once accepted, your mss will be line-edited before publication.

****PLEASE READ OUR EDITING GUIDELINES (http://www.excessica.com/index.php/submissions/excessica-editing-guidelines) BEFORE SUBMITTING!****
– ———————————————————————————

Submit to submissions@excessica.com

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at questions@eXcessica.com

ResearchGuy
03-11-2013, 04:15 AM
If you saw some of the submissions we have received, you would understand. . . .
Well, it is your process and your decision, naturally. I only speak as a very, very small-scale publisher (of infrequent, niche books) who does whatever it takes to make a worthwhile book happen even if the file needs work (and that can include hundreds of hours of editing, proofing, and formatting). But I have the skills and experience to do that without much vexation, and the luxury to take on only those rare projects I want to (with only one more in the pipeline and, to be honest, hopefully no more not by myself).

One of the finest books I published started as a file dictated via Dragon Naturally Speaking by a woman without the use of her hands (almost none -- she could control her electric wheelchair with one hand). So it had countless errors and read as if dictated, not typed -- which was precisely the case. No way was I turning that down for mechanical reasons.

Best wishes for success with your endeavors.

--Ken

DWBPublishing
03-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Well, it is your process and your decision, naturally. I only speak as a very, very small-scale publisher (of infrequent, niche books) who does whatever it takes to make a worthwhile book happen even if the file needs work (and that can include hundreds of hours of editing, proofing, and formatting). But I have the skills and experience to do that without much vexation, and the luxury to take on only those rare projects I want to (with only one more in the pipeline and, to be honest, hopefully no more not by myself).

One of the finest books I published started as a file dictated via Dragon Naturally Speaking by a woman without the use of her hands (almost none -- she could control her electric wheelchair with one hand). So it had countless errors and read as if dictated, not typed -- which was precisely the case. No way was I turning that down for mechanical reasons.

Best wishes for success with your endeavors.

--Ken

That is an exception I would not pass on either, Ken and I understand what you are saying. We do not publish a lot of books either because there are just the two of us running things, and Bobbie is the sub editor. She sees everything before I do. We often accept work that has not followed the guidelines strictly, and we get a lot of first timers who have no idea what everything means, and if the story is good, we don't turn them down. The reason that is there is to get people to look at their work more closely, to do what they can to polish the mss. before they send it to us, and we do offer a pre-editing guide to authors to use to polish their work. I don't know of any of the big pubs who would accept sloppy mss. that didn't follow their guidelines. I also spend many, many hours on editing, teaching authors the mechanics of editing and writing, and there is one book I have been working on now for nearly a year and I'm only half way through it.

I wish you all the best and God bless you.
Marie

Prufrock
04-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Avoid this small publisher. They promise to notify you "within 2 weeks" regarding a final decision (leaving you giddy and crossing off calendar squares) only to ignore your status queries after they are 2 and 4 weeks late and finally (I am done being a harpie) 5 weeks late--last Wednesday. Quite a disappointing and disillusioning experience with Dancing with Bear Publishing.