Status
Not open for further replies.

D.M.Drake

Working hard, loving every second!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kourageouskidsstorybooks.com
So, my husband/co-writer e-published our novel. Before I thought it was ready. He told me "I would never think it was ready." I am not mad... but I still think it isn't ready.

"After being murdered by her father, sixteen year-old Echo is resurrected by her ‘Guardian Angel’, Leo. The two must join forces to hunt and kill a man who is attempting to exterminate his entire race."

So... yay.. I'm published. I guess. I mean, nothing against e-published authors, I just had other plans. I was in the process of Querying while revising, so its a bit... shocking.

*waits for it to sink in*

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's...I'm sorry. He really shouldn't have done that without your approval. I'm so sorry. I would write a book without him next time.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be mad. I'd be furious.

I hope your book does well.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Was he aware you were querying?

Not that it would really excuse him but...nope, can't even argue argue that point. I'm just gonna quote mscelina.

"Wow."

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's one of those "Can't get mad at a puppy for piddling on the carpet," Moments. He thought I'd be happy. -sigh- Oh well :) There is always a bright side, right?

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Was he aware you were querying?

Not that it would really excuse him but...nope, can't even argue argue that point. I'm just gonna quote mscelina.

"Wow."

He wasn't aware of the whole querying/agent thing. He was just helping me write, he is a good writer, but he doesn't know the process.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's a violation of trust I just can't wrap my head around; but, I do hope your book sells well. :Hug2:

He didn't know better, and it's sold several copies in the two or so hours its been published. So maybe he did something right. I have to live with him, how angry can I get? lol

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I'm going to be very blunt here, even though this is really none of my business.

If you, the writer with experience of the process, feel that this book is NOT ready to be published, take it down. Now. If you feel that the book has a chance on its own legs to attract agent or publisher interest, take it down. Now.

Because, while your husband's intentions were in the right place, his lack of knowledge of the publishing industry has put you and your book into a position that you did not agree to and that may substantially harm the potential of the book. Yes, you might hurt his feelings. But better to hurt his feelings and have him LEARN the processes before jumping. In the real world of publishing, half of a writing team can't contract the work without the other's approval. (And, to be even more frank, it's supposed to be that way in marriage too)

Publishing is hard enough without being 'helped', and regardless of how well-intentioned your husband was this is still just not the right thing to do with another person's intellectual property. Know what I mean? Right now is the time to seriously evaluate what is best for the work and for YOU as well as your husband. Right now, you still have a (slim) chance of fixing this problem to some degree.

Just my two cents. I closed up my computer for the night, but this bugged me so much that I came back on site to make this comment. You love your husband and vice versa and want to do the best for each other. That's great. But this is writing. This is something wholly different, and unless your husband learns the business enough to be a partner in all aspects of your writing team, he's not going to be much of a help.

Seriously. I don't know you guys at all, but I say to TAKE THAT BOOK DOWN. Then encourage him to join AW and get the education about the process he really needs.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm going to be very blunt here, even though this is really none of my business.

If you, the writer with experience of the process, feel that this book is NOT ready to be published, take it down. Now. If you feel that the book has a chance on its own legs to attract agent or publisher interest, take it down. Now.

Because, while your husband's intentions were in the right place, his lack of knowledge of the publishing industry has put you and your book into a position that you did not agree to and that may substantially harm the potential of the book. Yes, you might hurt his feelings. But better to hurt his feelings and have him LEARN the processes before jumping. In the real world of publishing, half of a writing team can't contract the work without the other's approval. (And, to be even more frank, it's supposed to be that way in marriage too)

Publishing is hard enough without being 'helped', and regardless of how well-intentioned your husband was this is still just not the right thing to do with another person's intellectual property. Know what I mean? Right now is the time to seriously evaluate what is best for the work and for YOU as well as your husband. Right now, you still have a (slim) chance of fixing this problem to some degree.

Just my two cents. I closed up my computer for the night, but this bugged me so much that I came back on site to make this comment. You love your husband and vice versa and want to do the best for each other. That's great. But this is writing. This is something wholly different, and unless your husband learns the business enough to be a partner in all aspects of your writing team, he's not going to be much of a help.

Seriously. I don't know you guys at all, but I say to TAKE THAT BOOK DOWN. Then encourage him to join AW and get the education about the process he really needs.

I seriously considered taking it down until I realized its sold into double digits after only three or four hours. I mean, that is great, right? I am so new to publishing I am a joke myself, but that seemed good.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
He didn't know better, and it's sold several copies in the two or so hours its been published. So maybe he did something right. I have to live with him, how angry can I get? lol

Okay. You seem satisfied with the sales so far and it's your book; if you're happy, I'm happy for you.

I have to live with him, how angry can I get? lol

I don't have a good answer for just how angry you can get--I've only been married for thirty years. Ask my husband in another twenty. :D

Last edited:

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay. You seem satisfied with the sales so far and it's your book; if you're happy, I'm happy for you.

I don't have a good answer for just how angry you can get--I've only been married for thirty years. Ask my husband in another twenty. :D

Well, I am new to publishing. I only have a handful of agent form rejections. Are double digits good for only a few hours of market time? Say, I think four and a half? We are selling about 2.5 per hour at this rate. I don't know how quickly it will drop off, we haven't even told family or most of our friends. Help?

Last edited:

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on selling a few, anyway.

Is there any way to "unpublish" or at least withdraw something in case of mistake or second thoughts?

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can predict whether the book can or will sustain its current sales momentum. There are no guarantees in publishing.

What I can tell you after having read the sample is that I agree with your belief that it needs more polish before publishing. I also think you owe that to the work. It definitely has potential.

Please understand, though, that's just my opinion.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds as though you and your co-writer don't see each other as equal partners. He published the book without your consent and you started querying without his. Setting boundaries for future works is a good idea.

Hope Echo's Chance sells lots of copies.

Last edited:

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Congratulations on selling a few, anyway.

Is there any way to "unpublish" or at least withdraw something in case of mistake or second thoughts?

Yes I can yank it back. However I hear agents wont touch a previously published book. Unless it has done REALLY well. Don't quote me, I am a noob. :)

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't think anyone can predict whether the book can or will sustain its current sales momentum. There are no guarantees in publishing.

What I can tell you after having read the sample is that I agree with your belief that it needs more polish before publishing. I also think you owe that to the work. It definitely has potential.

Please understand, though, that's just my opinion.

Your opinion has me squirming. What if the reviews come back that it is rubbish? It isn't perfect, but how bad is it really? That is post 5 revisions. (I normally do 10 in layers.) *tears out hair* He wrote it too though, he should have a say. Grr. So much back and forth. I don't like this feeling. It isn't perfect. Is it even good? I mean 6 betas later and I an a little confident in the story. But I know it has errors. *pours another glass of wine, chews fingernails*

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
You were planning this as book one in a series, weren't you? (Something like that, if I remember correctly.) If so, I think you might want to consider the good of the subsequent books as part of your decision.

Final analysis: It's your book. You and your husband need to sit down and discuss this together for the good of your joint writing career(s). Decide together because this is one of the biggest of life decisions you two will make.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
For right now, go over to Smashwords and disable the book--put it on hold so no one else can purchase it. Then, sit down with your husband--sober--and hash out exactly what you want to do with the project. If you don't want a work out there that obviously needs more work (fair warning: I have not gone to check it out so I can't say) then pull the book. Now. Will an agent touch it now? I have no idea--it depends on the agent. I would opine, however, that "My husband published it without my consent on Smashwords and I immediately took it down" would get you past any problem with many agents. Or publishers. And some publishers (like me) will take on books that have burned their first publication rights and failed.

But the longer that book stays available for sale, the fewer options you have for it. You need to make up your mind one way or the other and stick to it.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Your opinion has me squirming. What if the reviews come back that it is rubbish? It isn't perfect, but how bad is it really? That is post 5 revisions. (I normally do 10 in layers.) *tears out hair* He wrote it too though, he should have a say. Grr. So much back and forth. I don't like this feeling. It isn't perfect. Is it even good? I mean 6 betas later and I an a little confident in the story. But I know it has errors. *pours another glass of wine, chews fingernails*

Complete honesty? I'm sorry about making you squirm, but the book needs enough that, if it were mine, I'd take mscelina and escritora's advice to pull it now while I could still salvage the situation.

Last edited:

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Complete honesty? I'm sorry about making you squirm, but the book needs enough that, if it were mine, I'd take mscelina and escritora's advice to pull it now while I could still salvage the situation.

I guess. I mean, the more I read through it the more I feel like an ass. I only see a couple errors, and they are processing to be fixed now. He is telling me to calm down, that it is great. He is a computer wiz and published it in ten different formats. Besides, Agents wont touch a published book, right? I mean, what difference does it make if I pull it. I can fix it, but if agents don't like books that have been published I am wasting my time with that, right? I can't un-publish it. Am I looking at this all wrong? I have him telling me it is good, readers praising and promising reviews once they finish it, and opinions here. I am trying not to freak out about it. This is stressful.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
The last thing any of us wanted was to cause you more stress. You've gotten experienced advice (plus my-not-so-experienced advice). You just need to decide what's best for you and your books and what makes you happy. I'm bowing out now, and I just want to say I wish you great success.

Status
Not open for further replies.