PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a favorite POV?

Christyp
11-29-2011, 04:14 AM
I had attempted a book a couple of years ago which was written in Omni third. While this may be an acceptable POV, I was not very good at it. It was all over the place. Then I've tried limited third...still not very good at third POV. I've learned I'm better at 1st person, depending on the characters.

What is your favorite POV to write? Do you have a favorite POV to read?

bearilou
11-29-2011, 04:38 AM
*coughs* (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230491)

My fav to write in is third. I don't seem to have the grasp of a good first.

I prefer to read in third and will actively try to avoid reading anything written in first since I'm not fond of it.

So I find it rather amusing that some of my favs to read are written in first, which I attribute to the fact that the author really was able to make me overcome my first avoidance to suck me in by writing in it very well.

The Lonely One
11-29-2011, 05:44 AM
Do you have a favorite POV to read?

No. For the love of God, no...

Monkey
11-29-2011, 05:46 AM
I don't like reading first person. It just irritates me.

I read third, I write third, with only occasional exceptions.

CheshireCat
11-29-2011, 05:49 AM
Third.

:pinata

The Lonely One
11-29-2011, 06:02 AM
*sneeze.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170981&highlight=point+view

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123427&highlight=point+view

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41554&highlight=point+view

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14630&highlight=point+view

Christyp
11-29-2011, 06:12 AM
*coughs* (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230491)

My fav to write in is third. I don't seem to have the grasp of a good first.

I prefer to read in third and will actively try to avoid reading anything written in first since I'm not fond of it.

So I find it rather amusing that some of my favs to read are written in first, which I attribute to the fact that the author really was able to make me overcome my first avoidance to suck me in by writing in it very well.

*slaps palm to forehead!*
I tried to search for the topic, but my computer locked up everytime I pushed enter. Sooo, I gave up and started over. Guess I'll head over there to read everyone else's comments.

The Lonely One
11-29-2011, 06:41 AM
After my being grumpy all over your thread I'll at least give an answer.

No, I don't prefer to read or write in a given POV. I see the value in all in the context of how they work to better the story they're presented in.

Christyp
11-29-2011, 06:55 AM
After my being grumpy all over your thread I'll at least give an answer.

No, I don't prefer to read or write in a given POV. I see the value in all in the context of how they work to better the story they're presented in.

Oh, darling, you weren't being grumpy. Let me get your slippers and a hot toddie. Momma will take care of you...*wink*

I seriously wasn't able to search when I started thinking about this. For some reason my computer isn't digging AW the past few days.

The Lonely One
11-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Haha yeah I shouldn't be so quick to judge, my history with being able to make forum searches work for me is like

:e2drown:

...slippers, you say?...

Shadow_Ferret
11-29-2011, 07:06 AM
I prefer first. I enjoy reading it and writing it.

I'll read third, but since I'm just terrible at writing it, I don't actively seek it out.

Susan Littlefield
11-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Third.

I would love to try omniscient, but I'm really scared to...even though I read a lot of it. :)

LJD
11-29-2011, 05:32 PM
No. Like both first and third for reading and writing.
Because of the genres I read, I rarely come across omniscient.

Dr.Gonzo
11-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Usually first. I'm currently experimenting with close fourth person, where the writing is from the POV of someone watching the narrator telling a story in third.

AutumnWrite
11-29-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm trying limited third for the first time, and I'm having a hard time. Somehow first just seems to feel right to me, both in reading and writing. But I really think it's in my best interest to branch out.

Hiroko
11-29-2011, 09:59 PM
So long as the POV fits the story well enough, I don't mind what form the storytelling takes.

Ken
11-30-2011, 02:25 AM
... when it comes to reading, first person beyond any doubt. Stories of that sort are easier to follow than ones written in other POV's, at least for me. They also seem to draw me in more. (That's Not to say that I don't enjoy stories in other POV's, by any means.)

With writing, my favorite is third person limited. I'd like to try omniscient one day soon. I'm not quite up to that yet. It seems like a very sophisticated POV that takes a lot of skill.

swvaughn
11-30-2011, 04:43 AM
I started out writing third limited, did several novels that way, and then switched to first person for a few. I found it rather challenging to write in first person -- since I'd been doing third, being reduced to only one POV as a story tool was limiting.

I'm back to third limited now. I like being able to get close to more than one character in a novel. :) But I think the experience writing first person actually made my third-person stuff stronger.

I don't think I'd ever try third omniscient. It's so easy to screw that up. (And second person is right out... *shudder*).

DragonBlaze
11-30-2011, 07:08 AM
I don't really have a preference that I must stick to above all others. I just find reading/writing in third is what I tend to like.

Dawnstorm
11-30-2011, 10:37 AM
I seriously wasn't able to search when I started thinking about this. For some reason my computer isn't digging AW the past few days.

Haha yeah I shouldn't be so quick to judge, my history with being able to make forum searches work for me is like

:e2drown:

I rarely use the forum search feature. Instead, I use google and type "site:absolutewrite.com/forums", which gives me forum results only. (example (http://www.google.at/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=de&source=hp&q=site:absolutewrite.com%2Fforums+%22favorite+pov% 22&pbx=1&oq=site:absolutewrite.com%2Fforums+%22favorite+pov %22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=10356l12078l2l12259l8l8l0l0l0l0l130l929l1.7 l8l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=1f48c35fcda6c258&biw=1024&bih=615)).

And I have no favourite point of view, either, but I do think I use a variant of thrid limited the most often when writing. (I read every point of view out there.)

blacbird
11-30-2011, 11:12 AM
The one that makes the story work best. This is not a flippant answer. I've written in first-past, first-present and third-limited past. Each time it has come naturally as the story seemed to dictate. I've never had any real dilemma determining the POV-tense combination.

caw

sunandshadow
11-30-2011, 11:45 AM
I equally love close third past tense and first person past (usually rotating between multiple viewpoint characters, 1 per chapter). :)

Christyp
11-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I started out writing third limited, did several novels that way, and then switched to first person for a few. I found it rather challenging to write in first person -- since I'd been doing third, being reduced to only one POV as a story tool was limiting.

I'm back to third limited now. I like being able to get close to more than one character in a novel. :) But I think the experience writing first person actually made my third-person stuff stronger.

I don't think I'd ever try third omniscient. It's so easy to screw that up. (And second person is right out... *shudder*).

When I write first I always feel like I'm getting to know the other characters the way we would in real life. It's like, I have to work to trust them the same way I would in real life.

swvaughn
11-30-2011, 09:01 PM
When I write first I always feel like I'm getting to know the other characters the way we would in real life. It's like, I have to work to trust them the same way I would in real life.

It is definitely an exercise in immersion to write an entire novel (or *gasp* series!) in first person. :D

I had to make sure I didn't try turning invisible, or seeing how many times I could get shot and still live... :tongue

But I like third limited because you can do the same thing, only with more than one character. And then you have options to show the reader certain things one character isn't privy to, but another is, which in my opinion can really enrich the story.

I'm not fond of rotating first-person viewpoint. Unless it's done really well, it's disorienting. Third limited can be just as tight as first -- it's all a matter of pronoun choice. :D

And of course, making sure that your character doesn't know things he/she can't possibly know. That's a primary concern for any viewpoint. :)

Brukaviador
11-30-2011, 10:44 PM
For writing:
I guess I'm writing third person limited where I stick to one character at a time and occassionally jump back and forth between a few different characters. Of course I get smacked with the "bad author stick" from betas when I try to slip in something that the character wouldn't know. My defense is "But it's third person. It's not the character who's telling the story, it's being told by a detached narrator." What I'm thinking is the narrator spends a lot of time telling you what a character does, thinks and feels, but occassionally will slip in some extra information for the reader that the character is not privy to. Maybe I don't understand how it's "supposed" to be done and just invented my own style of blending the two or something.

When reading:
For probably a fairly unique reason, I will say that I almost universally despise first person stories. The exception is when the storyteller is obviously flawed from the beginning and up front about it (ex. "I may not be the brightest guy, or most honest guy, or I've done my share of bad things in my time, but here's what I know..."). The reason I think goes back to having known so many liars in my life with all these grandiose stories about all the money they make, their romantic\sexual conquests, all the fist fights they've won, all the super cool snappy comebacks they've given, etc. Basically these guys are all genius, millionaire playboys who kick everyone's ass whenever they feel like it, but you wouldn't know it to meet them in person. When I start reading a first person story now, I immediately question the honesty of the narrator.

With writing, my favorite is third person limited. I'd like to try omniscient one day soon. I'm not quite up to that yet. It seems like a very sophisticated POV that takes a lot of skill.

In Philip Athens the Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction he refers to "third person omniscient" as "third person lazy", like you're cheating the reader by not sticking to the thoughts and emotions of one character.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it myself, it's just one of many different styles and has it's place, but of course opinions vary.

I'm currently experimenting with close fourth person, where the writing is from the POV of someone watching the narrator telling a story in third.

You have to be joking. I don't see how that's even possible or how it would help a narrative by telling it that way. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to.

Flicka
11-30-2011, 10:57 PM
I do love books with a clear storyteller/narrator voice so 1st and omni are both dear to me, but I'll read any POV and any tense. I think second person and future tense are hard to do well and I don't think I've ever come across either.

I've mostly written 3rd limited, but am thinking of doing omni for my new project, not because I want to peek into everybody's heads (I don't see the fun in that, so I won't do that) but because I want to see if I can manage to pull off actually telling the story - including telling the showing, if you get what I mean. I want a narrator's voice, outside of my characters.

Faide
11-30-2011, 11:01 PM
That depends entirely on the character(s). Some characters just have that first person feeling, some have that third. If it's a multiple-PoV-story, third generally works best, but I've also written a few stories with both third and first person PoVs. I generally write in past tense, and I find present third to be annoying, although present first can work very well.

Brukaviador
11-30-2011, 11:43 PM
I want a narrator's voice, outside of my characters.

That is a great case for using third person omni.

Dr.Gonzo
12-01-2011, 11:12 AM
You have to be joking. I don't see how that's even possible or how it would help a narrative by telling it that way. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to.

Bingo. lol

Brukaviador
12-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Good. Never can tell sometimes.

Melisi
12-03-2011, 08:11 AM
I used to always write in limited third, but the narrator of my most recent book insisted on telling her own story in first person. It was an interesting experience. I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Dialogue has always been my strength, and writing in first person gave me a way to think of description and action as dialogue as well.

That said, I haven't decided about my WIP yet. I'm working in first at the moment, but I may switch back to limited third.

profen4
12-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Third person limited, then first person. I still cringe at any form of present tense - but I'm getting better.

Ralph Springett
01-21-2012, 01:11 PM
I want to see if I can manage to pull off actually telling the story - including telling the showing, if you get what I mean. I want a narrator's voice, outside of my characters.

Are you saying a narrator that has omi ability but is human (rather than all-knowing) and may be fallible? A narrator that can peek into character's heads but reserves the right to revise or be uncertain. Like you might if you were telling the story face to face. Very Alice Munro. Does anyone know of other authors that try this?