• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Bermuda Triangle of the Solar System: Mars

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
On one hand, I'm amazed we manage to get anything on the surface of Mars in working order. On the other hand, I'm amazed we've screwed up so many times.

I'm easily amazed.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, double post. How amazing is that?

A lot of missions to Mars have gone bad. But some have exceeded expectations (Spirit and opportunity).

I hope Curiosity gets there okay.

QuantumIguana

Registered
Reaction score
We've sent a large number of them, there is more opportunities for things to go wrong. Also Mars' atmosphere is a problem, it isn't thick enough to slow things down much, but it is thick enough to complicate landing.

Wojciehowicz

Alien to My Own Planet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
outpostearth.onedamnballoon.com
We've sent a large number of them, there is more opportunities for things to go wrong. Also Mars' atmosphere is a problem, it isn't thick enough to slow things down much, but it is thick enough to complicate landing.

But what still bothers is the number of missions that never get near Mars despite being accurately aimed and programmed.

No, I'm not suggesting aliens. I'm suggesting things like Coronal Mass Ejections and flares causing bubbles of plasma floating out through the system that we can't see and don't spot the origin of. What happens when our craft zip through one on the way to Mars? Are the craft sufficiently shielded? Are there thin dust clouds left over from previous comet passages that they might pass through and pelt the craft to malfunctioning? I think we need to deploy satellites throughout the system to get a better handle on the system's terrain and conditions as it were.