The perfect book cover for self-published writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
Where is the link you any work you've done already? Other than it's free why would I submit to you without seeing any previous work? Cool people are one thing, but what does cool mean, graphic designers, experienced cover artists, your next door neighbors? If there are rules, which there must be since there's not so fine print, what are they? Must the author agree to use your cover before design? Will you use their name to advertise?

I'm trying to be helpful here. These are the first questions that went through my head so I'm sure others will think the same.

BookCoverDesignLA

Registered
Reaction score
Carol, thanks; all good questions.

The jury who will make the final decisions are the Creative Director and Art Director of the design collective. They have a strong background in graphic design, film and media.

The author will of course have consent of the cover design.

What's important to bear in mind is that we are giving away a full custom cover worth a considerable amount of money. This is being done as part of our launch celebration. We're in beta mode presently, and the website will launch New Year's 2012.

Honestly, throwing a bunch of rules and regulations and making it all more competitive was never the intention. Our goal was to keep things fun and informal.

Ultimately, no one is being "forced to win"! If any of this has been of interest to anyone, you are still welcome to submit.!If not, that's totally okay! We're not exactly dying to design for free ;)

Thanks again, Carol.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
And those sample book covers that were asked for? I'd never get a design from anyone without seeing samples of their work. Just like I'd never have someone paint my house before I saw their expertise.

BookCoverDesignLA

Registered
Reaction score
And if someone offers to paint your house and brings his own paint and brush? Don't be ridiculous. You're assuming we're charlatans!

Last edited:

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Are you suggesting offering to see your art is ridiculous when its a service that you are selling, even if in this particular case it's a contest for a free cover?

Wow.

As a business owner, I can tell you that's a fab way to go about it.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
And if someone offers to paint your house and brings his own paint and brush? Don't be ridiculous. You're assuming we're charlatans!

Uh, yeah, if someone showed up with a paint and a brush and offered to paint my house, I'd want to see some evidence he knows what he's doing.

I don't think anyone thinks you are charlatans, but it would still be nice to see some sample artwork. Why the reticience?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It's not unreasonable to ask to see at least a sample, if not an entire portfolio. This sounds like a friendly offer, but some understanding of what is being offered visually would help.

(... And painting a house is more than a matter of showing up with free paint and brushes. What kind of paint, what color? Will it last? Will I have to replace my windows afterwards?)

Scribly

I a reel good riter.. i sware.
Registered
Reaction score
If you have no portfolio of work to show, just say so. Folks understrand that everyone has to get a start somewhere (just look around here and you might find one or two peope trying to make their own start in something or other); just don't try to come across as something you (perhaps) are not. Then again, if you do have something to show, it'd be in your best interest to do so.

BookCoverDesignLA

Registered
Reaction score
We're new and cannot post the design work we've done without the clients/authors permission. The same applies to authors who have already submitted their entries for the free design (everyone gets to see the work publicly at the launch). That being said, of course I completely understand the need to see "visual evidence" as a benchmark to appraise quality/craftsmanship/artistry/what have you. This was never a problem. It was the ferocious resistance to, as someone rightly said, our friendly offer and implied condescension that ruffled feathers. But no hard feelings at all.

I am not going to continue defending myself, because it's counter-productive and against the grain and spirit of the original post. Business is brisk and we have enough takers. I hope no one will feel hurt as I withdraw the offer. Thanks again for everyone's time.

Last edited:

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
The contest sounds great. Good luck with the launch of your new business.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
We're new and cannot post the design work we've done without the clients/authors permission.

If it's YOUR work though, then surely you can?

Or don't you have any other work that you CAN show?

You'll understand that no one is suggesting that you are no good, but it WOULD be incredibly silly for someone to commision work without knowing what the artist is capable of, what the style is like, whether the work would fit with the book or not.

The same applies to authors who have already submitted their entries for the free design (everyone gets to see the work publicly at the launch). That being said, of course I completely understand the need to see "visual evidence" as a benchmark to appraise quality/craftsmanship/artistry/what have you. This was never a problem. It was the ferocious resistance to, as someone rightly said, our friendly offer and implied condescension that ruffled feathers. But no hard feelings at all.

There was no 'ferocious resistance' at all, just a request to see some work first.

Which I think is a perfectly reasonable request.

After all, you just posted an email address, perhaps if you had a website that potential clients could look at.

I am not going to continue defending myself, because it's counter-productive and against the grain and spirit of the original post. Business is brisk and we have enough takers. I hope no one will feel hurt as I withdraw the offer. Thanks again for everyone's time.

So, rather than supply some sample images which could massively help to promote your own work, interest new clients and raise your profile, you are going to throw your toys out of the pram?

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
If you did the work, it belongs to you. Unless the art isn't yours...? You can always post any image that belongs to you. Just scrub the author's name off the cover if they don't want their names out there.

Personally, as an author, I'd be thrilled for the free promotion...lol

Enjoy you're cover adventure!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Should anyone wish to pursue this contest, it's posted elsewhere on the 'net. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.