The Suck for Luck Stakes

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm listening to the NFL on the radio and there's a lot of talk about Indianapolis getting first pick next season. And whether they will trade it or get rid of Peyton Manning. What do you think?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Should be pretty interesting to see what the decision is. I think they may take Luck due to the nature of Peyton's injury. Nerves in the neck taking so long to heal sounds like something that may permanently hinder his performance, so it wouldn't hurt to pick up Luck as insurance. And while the current NFL trend is to draft a guy and start him immediately, or at least at some point in his rookie season, I'm still a believer in the old school method of letting a guy sit, practice and develop for a while without the pressure of starting. Some guys certainly do well by getting to start immediately, but the other method can still be very effective. Aaron Rodgers sat for his first few years and he's turned into an absolute phenomenon. Maybe Luck could get the same benfit if he's drafted by Indy.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering about Peyton's injury. It is a serious one and someone did suggest yesterday that they will take Luck and use Peyton as a mentor. But I don't see him in that role. I don't think he has that kind of personality.

I do agree with you about starting in your rookie season though. Especially with first picks. I've noticed before that you often get a great but inexperienced QB playing in a really bad team. And it's not good for their careers.

And yeah, I do think Indy are a bad team. They looked better than they were with Manning playing but now he's not........they're bad.

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Actually Peyton did the very same thing. He was drafted and started in his first year. It wasn't long before the dynasty began. Speaking of starting rookies, Dalton in Cincy hasn't been too bad. Actually, he's been kind of spectacular. I agree a rookie should sit if it's possible. There is now dissension about whether Luck is the best or if Barkley would be better.

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the severity of Manning's injury, the Colts should trade the pick for as many solid O-linemen as they can get. Manning is good enough that, given time in the pocket, he can pretty much do whatever he wants to a defense. With a better line, mediocre runners like Brown and Addai will perform better as well.

Of course, if Manning's injury is more severe or it's in his head that he can't take any more hits then the Colts should probably go for a top flight QB and start the rebuilding process.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
You know, it's funny. Redskins fans have been screaming for years that we need an upgraded O line, while all the pundits keep looking at the shiny star players that the team should acquire.

While I think Indy will take Luck, it will take a Peyton Manning quality quarterback to reseal all the obvious holes that they revealed this season with him not back there. A Top Flight quarterback hides deficiencies that a mere mortal wouldn't.

Examples:
Manning in Indy
Rogers in Green Bay
Brees in NO

After all, look at Grossman. He's a mediocre quarterback and it shows in the pitifulness of Washington's Offense.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
So a top-flight QB has that much effect on any team? Or just teams that suck anyway?

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The best move for the Colts would be to trade down for more picks. They can still pick up a high rated quarterback, plus a couple offensive linemen. Maybe even upgrade their running back position as well. All in the first three rounds. And you know that there are teams that badly want/need luck, like the Redskins for example.

If they can't trade it, then I think they have to take whoever they consider the best QB in the draft to be. Since they need a long term solution at quarterback. And having someone sit behind Manning for the last couple years of his career, while they add other good, young talent to the offense for him to work with, would be a good strategy.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
If Indy are open to trading, Luck will probably be a Brown next year. Holmgren tried to give up the 2010 draft for Sam Bradford, and the Browns are in the best trading position for Luck.

Jendrick

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see Luck replace Manning in Indy, but unfortunately it seems Jim Irsay has a deep, undying love for Peyton, so I thin it's feasible we may see them trade out of the top spot.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Rumors have it that Indy is staying put (right now) and taking Luck #1. Peyton just wants to get healthy (or so he says) and would like to stay in Indy.

Now we must wait and see...
Could the Redskins trade up for Luck? Doubt it. But must throw out the thought of who to replace Grossman with. Just not RG3, because he wouldn't fit the system well.