PDA

View Full Version : text bomb for a telephone?

profen4
11-27-2011, 11:08 PM
You know how you can text bomb someone by using a program to auto send a thousand texts to their phone? Well, is it possible to phone bomb a land-line? Rig a similar program to dial a number a thousand times? Or is that just different concepts entirely?

jclarkdawe
11-27-2011, 11:50 PM
I've had phones that would auto-dial every minute to ten minutes, and keep going forever, until told to stop. Works nicely with the phone line that is constantly busy or no answer. I could do other work without worrying about the phone call, and with the phone on speaker, would know when someone picked up. And this was fifteen years ago.

Moved up at some point to having the computer do this instead of the phone. It's not a fancy program and I'm sure could be jiggered to meet your requirements.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Drachen Jager
11-28-2011, 12:05 AM
The Republicans did this to a few Democrat offices last election. Of course it's possible.

profen4
11-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Thanks, guys.

Could it be used to tie up 9-1-1 phone lines?

debirlfan
11-28-2011, 01:56 AM
Thanks, guys.

Could it be used to tie up 9-1-1 phone lines?

I think the irate officer showing up at the door would put a stop to that pretty quick. :)

That said, if a hard-core hacker type was behind it, it might be possible to set up a virus/trojan or something that would war dial (that's what it was called back in the old BBS days before the net) 911 from various affected computers. If the calls were coming from multiple locations via infected computers, it could be hard to track down/cut off.

jclarkdawe
11-28-2011, 03:16 AM
To tie up 9-1-1 you'd need multiple lines.

But 9-1-1 has been blitzed both intentionally and because of circumstances. During bad weather the system frequently overloads. And during major incidences, you can have a temporary spike that will overload the system for a few minutes.

A thousand people calling 9-1-1 at once will bury the system. I don't remember the details, but someone did this once through tweeting, I think in LA.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Becca_H
11-28-2011, 04:48 AM
A thousand people calling 9-1-1 at once will bury the system. I don't remember the details, but someone did this once through tweeting, I think in LA.

I read about that but can't seem to find it. It was a celebrity who tweeted the local police department's phone number and claimed it was his. There were so many calls the line became blocked, and they considered legal action against whoever tweeted it (he denied it being him).

Hoping this will jog someone's memory if they can remember who the celebrity was...

jclarkdawe
11-28-2011, 04:52 AM
Here's a link to the story, although it appeared on a lot of different sources. Hundreds of Flashcalls overwhelm phone service to Compton Sheriff's (http://nixle.com/alert/4719583/)

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe