Modern-Day Westerns

neilbco

neilbco
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vampireandhorrorstories.blogspot.com
I am searching for possible markets for a story I wrote. I think of it as a "Modern-Day Western."

A young retired Special Forces Sergeant applies to become a Texas Ranger. A letter from a Major General in the Army earns him a 10 minute interview with the Captain of the Rangers in Austin. After this meeting, the young man drives to his parents home on the border with Mexico, west of Laredo. With a couple of hours to go before he gets home, he stops at a Cantina to eat dinner. While he is there, a group of Mexican and American gangsters show up to extort money for protection. The former sergeant decides not to intervene. However, when one of the gangsters physically abuses a young waitress, the sergeant "moves into action." He kills the two gangsters who had entered the Cantina demanding money. He then has to confront the remaining six gangsters outside the Cantina. The sergeant utilizes his training and experience to survive the encounter.

Does anyone know of a potential market for this story?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you go to Duotrope.com, and use the search thing, click on "Westerns" and then in the next box, there are six or seven sub-genres. Also, maybe your story is cross-genre, Western and ???, which might give you additional markets. Good luck!