Can You E-Publish In Word Perfect doc.?

Professor Crazy

Registered
Reaction score
Both at Smashwords and the Kindle set-up area at Amazon, they recommend your novel be in Word.doc, and at Smashwords, I read something about using the "Nuclear Method" to clean up potential problems. Can you stick with WordPerfect and still manage to have a nice-looking e-book? Or, is it necessary to switch to Word, or apply the Nuclear Method?
I was hoping getting my novel ready for e-book publication would be not fraught with as many stumbling blocks as I've been reading about in the guides.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I love Wordperfect, and I do all my writing in it, and I remove all the tabs and extra spacing there, but then I do switch everything to Word before uploading to Smashwords, and then I save the Smashwords file (in .doc format) a second time, this time as html, before applying the mobipocket software for Amazon.

You can save a WordPerfect document as .doc, but I'm not sure how it looks on various readers, if you upload it that way directly. I've read about potential problems, so I've taken the extra step of creating format templates for different parts of the text, and apply them in Word before uploading.

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I recall, the Mobipocket Creator will not accept Wordperfect files (Calibre might--not sure--it might be worth a try). So I would convert it to a Word document.

Smashwords Nuclear Method just cleans up a lot of the extra code that turns up in a Word document. If you save your Word file as "filtered html", it will do the same (though still some junk remains). If you know code, paste your file into Notepad and strip away all but the bare essentials.

Brian January
http://amzn.com/B005WM0HN6
http://amzn.com/B006QCZF3S

Last edited:

Professor Crazy

Registered
Reaction score
Annoying Convert File Box: Can It Be Bypassed?

I changed my WordPerfect.doc file to a Word one, and made several needed changes like get the line spacing to 1.5 for uploading the novel to Smashwords. But, then I read further that there shouldn't be chapter breaks of more than 4 spaces, and I have some of those.
I went back to my file (a copy) to get rid of this empty space, but got an annoying rectangular box that asked if I wanted to convert my file to Word. The only choices given wre Okay, Cancel, or Help. I want to make the other changes, and whatever further ones might need to be made, without converting the file into anything different than Word.doc.
1.) Is there a way to bypass these annoying boxes? I am using Corel WordPerfect.
2.) If I choose Okay, will the file be converted back to WordPerfect? This is what I'm afraid will happen to it. Though, I suppose if that is what happens, I can make the necessary changes left, and try to rename it as a Word.doc file once again.

Is there a way to bypass the popup box so I can continue making necessary changes? Would it be better to just click Okay, and if the file gets reformatted, then fix whatever else needs to be fixed, and rename it as a Word.doc file again?

Last edited: