Titles of the books you HOPE to write one day

FranOnTheEdge

Procrastinating lots, writing a bit
Registered
Reaction score
Not being silly or anything, I'm thinking about intriquing titles that sounds like something you'd like to write, and shouldn't be already used: (I hope!)

How about a whodunnit called:

Brighton Resin

Or:
The Door That Wouldn't Open

Or:
Pink Slippers In The Snow

Or:
The Oracle of The Glue Pot

Or... well your turn.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Historical

Legacy of the Fathers

Historical Fiction

Redleg Reunion

Humorous Adventure

Toondur

all at some stage in development

And my dream would to get anywhere near accomplished enough to write an autobiography

Me 'n Mark

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
The Cambridge Companion to Kelly Assauer

Including a forward written by the author

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Two and a Half Pencils (which I think might be a short story - idk)
True Love and Fairy Skulls
and way more that I can't think of right now... :D

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
ROCK-N-ROLL GANGSTA

....I'd pick it up in a bookstore :D

FranOnTheEdge

Registered
Reaction score
The Missing Pieces - A Philosophical Foray Into What Is As-Yet Not Known.

It's the working title of the thesis I'd write for Philosophy, if I ever get that far.

Wow, you're studying Philosophy? That's heavy, man! But fascinating.

Historical

Legacy of the Fathers

Historical Fiction

Redleg Reunion

Humorous Adventure

Toondur

all at some stage in development

And my dream would to get anywhere near accomplished enough to write an autobiography

Me 'n Mark

I can follow all of the above except the adventure, which sounds a bit generic as titled, do you have any more idea than that? Or is it just a genre you like the idea of?

I've no idea what Toondur means - what is it?

And if you can't write your autobiography, no one can. Lol! Sorry, couldn't resist.

The Cambridge Companion to Kelly Assauer

Including a forward written by the author

What's that about then?

Two and a Half Pencils (which I think might be a short story - idk)
True Love and Fairy Skulls
and way more that I can't think of right now... :D

They sound very inventive and rather fun - I hope they go through critique here, I might enjoy those...

ROCK-N-ROLL GANGSTA

....I'd pick it up in a bookstore :D

Yes... not a title that immediately appeals to me but I think I might pick it up and look at the blurb, there are certainly possibilities in it. Have you got far with it? Is it a comedy? Or straight?

It's fascinating to see how people are thinking about their work, titles can be so revealing, can't they?

Flowerfairy

Lady Entropia
Registered
Reaction score
Black Widow

I love movies about the military and modern day warfare. The novel should be about a covert op (Black Widow) that goes wrong in Krygyzstan.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Working titles on current projects:

Fell Humphrey
The Machinist (why is that title so popular btw?)

Future Project:

Food

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
REO Bloodwagon: The Traumatic Death of Adult-Oriented Rock

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I have a few written scenes that want to be novels instead of my usual short stories. Right now, I'm just not up to novels, but I like to think that maybe one day I can work out these idea to the story-length they deserve.

Life in the Freezer: a near-future story set on Antarctica.

Lady of the Pond
: humourous modern fantasy whodunnit.

The Undergrowth Gang: fantasy, featuring a gang of thieves.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Fran, technically I'm not studying philosophy yet. Yet.

Next year, come March, I should be doing 2 philosophy subjects.

When I say "For my Philosophy thesis" what I mean is "I plan waaaaay in advance because the present kind of sucks." :tongue

Nualláin

Registered
Reaction score
After spending time in the city, I one day plan to write a novel set in Paris under the title Fraternité. I have the whole thing clear in my head, but I also have the clear conviction that is has to be written in French. I'm pretty handy in the language, but not quite up to scratch for literary composition yet, so that's for the future.

Figure I'll have to move there for a few years to hit the standard required, but one has to make sacrifices in the name of one's art... right?

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
All the books I've written so far have been envisioned as the beginning of series. I'd write more in the series if any publisher buys the first book. :)

Wally and the Vagus Strategem should be followed by Franklin and the Pirates' Gambit, Nancy and the Progenitor's Aspect, and if I want to do a prequel, Tanner and the Global Spasm.

Platinum Donkeys starts the Donkey trilogy with Day of the Donkeys and Donkey Diaspora.

My current WIP is a return to simpler, understated names. Chipper should be followed up by Chipper meets a Fun Guy and Chipper attends a Party. The 'fun guy' is a sentient fungi, and the 'party' is a war party...Chipper's adventures will be like that.

Last edited:

Jon King

less princes, more giant swords
Registered
Reaction score
Just A Number: A romantic comedy about a 32-year-old woman in the midst of a divorce who, after falling down the stairs, is jolted into thinking that she is 16 years old.

Brilliant: A YA coming-of-age novel about three teens who are bumped into a gifted class.

The Freak Society: A YA about an anorexic, a cutter, a child-abuse victim, and a wallflower who forge an unlikely friendship after a summer at a teen psych ward.

The Refugees: The story of a horse jockey with a dark secret who befriends a spirited horse, taking her on a journey of friendship and self-understanding.

Women in Refrigerators: The Memoirs of a Damsel in Distress: A romantic comedy about a Lois Lane-type figure who leaves her superhero husband out of frustration for being perceived as helpless.

Only Human: A seventeen year old girl finds out that her memories have been implanted into her head by a renegade scientist, and that she's actually the world's first living computer, designed by the military. It's sort of Bourne Identity-esque, in that she has to find out exactly what happened that led her to her current circumstances.

So many ideas....so little time.... and even less attention span...

Last edited:

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Man, those sound like some good movies, Faerytale. Should I start drafting scripts for a collabo? :D

I'm kidding. Maybe. Okay I'm kidding. But really, I can see those as some interesting movies.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd buy Women in Refrigerators in a heartbeat. Sounds like my kinda book.

My "wanna write" books are

Melchior. Half-finished, but I've been stuck for a while. It's the journey of the Three Wise Men.

Fair Game. A sequel to Icing the Ref, a hockey mystery.

Disharmony. A barbershop mystery.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
St. George and The Dragon

A traveler passing through a small village attends Holy Mass at Our Lady of the Emerald Scales and wonders why everything about the church is so big: the doors, the width of the center aisle, the sanctuary, the altar. The pastor's name, Father Hephaestus St. George, provides a clue.

Ollie Louya: the Owl who Joined the Choir

Wondering why the director is raving about his singing, a so-so choir singer looks up into the rafters of the choir loft and discovers a winged Pavarotti just waiting to be discovered.

Jon King

less princes, more giant swords
Registered
Reaction score
Man, those sound like some good movies, Faerytale. Should I start drafting scripts for a collabo? :D

I'm kidding. Maybe. Okay I'm kidding. But really, I can see those as some interesting movies.

HA! Thanks, Jehhillenberg! I'll be sure to look you up once the darn things are actually out of my head and onto paper :p

Fallen Angel

Banned
Reaction score
The Sage of Red Rose: Set in a dystopian pre-steampunk megacity simply called The City by it's inhabitants, on a all female world. The City is ruled by several dozen 'Princes', who allow the running of various criminal groups, from street gangs to family run mafias, to the major villians in the setting - a group simply called The Organization. Each is considered 'different' levels of organized crime, with The Org on the toop of the heap in The City, but still considered small fry to criminal orgs outside the city. (To those who run intercity operations.)

Red Rose was formerly a merc. who did odd jobs in one of the two 'gate cites' near the mouth of the small bay that The City is at the back of. She was hired to extract a boy from The City and bring him to one of the Twin Cities. However the boy was killed when she went off for a moment to check a noise, and she ended up being blaimed for his death. As such she's been 'burned'[1] and left in The City unitl she can prove her innocence. This however requires her to get those responsible infront of one of the notoriously corrupt courts in The City, and rrequires mountains of evidence even to bring charges agins't those responsible before the cops will even pick up the case.

Fortunate for Red Rose, she finds out The Org is deeply involved with several very egregious crimes of various types. Sicne The Org is so big, she has to find evidence on most of the family leaders who remain supporters of The Org to bring it down and collapse this new type of criminal enterprise.

The story takes place over five years, as she finds evidence of the crimes committed at the orders of several of the family leaders who are backign the existance of The Org. For each year in The City she does several good things, as well as setting up a network to aid her efforts in The City.

[1]: The story is written by persons on a all female world that's technically a Karashev II civilization. So they take some things for grated in stories, like, the method for women to reproduce with other women. It's much the same as things Earth stories will take for granted.

[2] Apologies for the bland names. The Org, The City. I really bhave no idea how to name The City, and it maters not to the masses of impoverished in said city. (Since they have no physical mobility outside The City, it doesn't matter as much as the names of the 18 wards.)

Last edited:

FranOnTheEdge

Registered
Reaction score
Me too, not only because the members here rock at critiques but also because it mean I have actually written them lol :D

Yeah, getting the darned things onto paper isn't all that easy, and that's before we get to the rewrite.

I'm just about to start a major re-write of book 1 - I suspect.
Book 2 is still on stage 1.

FranOnTheEdge

Registered
Reaction score
The Sage of Red Rose: Set in a dystopian pre-steampunk megacity////
and rrequires mountains of evidence even to bring charges agins't those responsible before the cops will even pick up the case.

Fortunate for Red Rose, she finds out The Org is deeply involved with several very egregious crimes of various types. Sicne The Org is so big, she has to find evidence on most of the family leaders who remain supporters of The Org to bring it down and collapse this new type of criminal enterprise.

It sounds like you have set yourself a mammoth task with that, and that it will require a whole heap or organisation on your part. Phew, I don't envy you that.
I've got enough problems with alibis myself.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I Was An AW Addict (published when I'm 85)

Fallen Angel

Banned
Reaction score
It sounds like you have set yourself a mammoth task with that, and that it will require a whole heap or organisation on your part. Phew, I don't envy you that.
I've got enough problems with alibis myself.

Keep in mind, there is magic in this setting. Mages come in all shapes and sizes, and how able they are in the magical arts. However in The City, it's rare to find a Master level mage, let alone a Archmage or Oracle. (So somewhat useful mages who lack pure power.)

Because I intend it to be a Grimderp setting*, I think the various crimes committed in the city are easy enough to figure out. Mostly let your mind go to very scary places - that's the kind of megacrimes The Families and The Org get involved in.

As to the setting and how it's carefully stacked together... I would like comments as to how workable this is.

The Princes have the Military, which can stamp out any criminal group that steps out of line, but not all of them. (Explained below.) The Families (and now The Org) are obviously afraid of being stamped out, so they do not do things that would piss off the Princes. In return, the Princes need the Criminal groups to oppress the people and keep them working for cheap. (The City is it's world's cheap goods exporter.)

The criminal famlies don't just oppress the people, but also sell drugs and other illicit ithings to give a outlet for the plebs frustration. (Including selling women for afternoons.) The plebs for their part are so desperate for a distraction from the terribleness of life they continue to use the services offered by the criminal element, and thus keep funding it, even as they ruin their lives with drugs and by not saving up enough to move to real apartments. (For those stuck in shanty slums.)

Keep in mind, the criminals also own much of the agriculture and industry.

There is a bright spot, any Family who does something outside the realm of what the Princes will allow can be smashed and replaced by other Families who quickly take over various parts of their operations. This would be aided by local Gnags who would change allegiance asap and make sure to take whatever they could with them to help their new bosses. Smashing a Family is easy enough, just seize the Leaders of said Family, hire every other Famlies assassins to kill members of the targeted Family, and let assassins who worked for said Family turn independant and hire them to attack the targeted Family. (This is the power the Princes have on the Leading Families - the power to smash whomever acts 'out of line'.)

My intent is that the city is run in a specific way that if any person moved out of alignment they would suffer, and the entire system would fall. (Like late game Jenga.) Because if anybody tired fixing it, they would pull the piece of lumber from the stack and it might all fall down. That's Grimderp in my mind.

*Grimderp: Far beyond what mere Grimdark is like. Compare to the current Warhammer 40,000 setting, sixth edition.

Last edited: