0748 on a holiday and the family drama starts

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh the fun. And now the drama llama might be in the car with me. I was so happily looking forward to a quiet ride to grandma's. Denied.

So, who else has an early drama start to the Thanksgiving holiday? Pre-holiday build up doesn't count to the 'competition', but feel free to vent anyways!

The nice thing about Turkey day is everyone is in a coma early in the afternoon.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry that so many families function like this. Think of England! (I cannot remember the source of that, sorry.)

Tune out what you can, and ask repeatedly for people to show civility to others if they want to continue to ride in your vehicle?

Maryn, whose family functions

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Consider turkey-based appetizers. Get that tryptophan in the bloodstream ASAP!

My drama won't begin until around 5:00 p.m. (also at Grandma's). I'm building up my reserves of love and patience by being completely self-centered until then. ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been spared and am driving up alone! Once there, it's a big house :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
My family is full of dramas... At least it's gotten better these last few years.

About 12 years ago, my parents got divorced, which substantially changed our routine with Christmas and birthdays.

So for a while, I was visiting mum's side of the family and then dad's side, one day for each, which was full of drama and my parents trash-talking each other behind their backs.

Recently though, dad has remarried, and he doesn't really see his side of the family anymore. His new wife is pretty cool, so when I visit them I'm not all stressed out and everything.

And as for mum's side of the family, we basically just see the grandparents nowadays (her parents). None of this extended family stuff.

But still they trot out old arguments and grievances, even if the offending person isn't there... So I get to listen to them badmouth people I hardly know...

Yeah. My family is screwy. Or maybe they're normal and I'm the odd one for not getting drawn into it?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lovely story in the NYT today about Thanksgiving by Will Boast. (Enduring Thanksgiving). Made me go quite lump-in-the-throat-y, in a bullish "I'm-an-Aussie-convict-we're-grateful-for-nothing" kind of way.

Last edited:

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
My family drama started last night. As in pre-Thanksgiving.

I only come home intermittently, and the longer I stay away, the more I think 'you know, they're not that bad. We're a dysfunctional family, but I can stand to be there for two days."

And then when the first meltdown happens fifteen minutes after I walk in the door, I remember why. And keep my bags packed.