PDA

View Full Version : "Dexter", your thoughts?

ReFreeze
11-24-2011, 04:43 AM
I was wondering how many folks here watch "Dexter" either on Showtime or {older seasons} on DVD?

I'll withhold my perspective, for the moment. ;}

So, if you have viewed any of the seasons of "Dexter", what is your perspective on this 'serial'?

gothicangel
11-24-2011, 04:08 PM
I was wondering how many folks here watch "Dexter" either on Showtime or {older seasons} on DVD?

So, if you have viewed any of the seasons of "Dexter", what is your perspective on this 'serial'?

Love it. TV series and the novels.

amlptj
11-24-2011, 04:18 PM
I love the show! I'm a die hard fanatic... although this newest season I'm becoming skeptical... If Dexter really starts to go religious I'm going to get pissed.

Wayne K
11-24-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't watch TV any more but I see people post about this show and Criminal Minds. I find it interesting that shows about serial killers are so big.

Tanglewood
11-24-2011, 04:53 PM
I've got a theory about this season. I reckon that

*SPOILER* (maybe)

Professor Geller is actually a figment of Travis's imagination

What do you reckon?

amlptj
11-24-2011, 05:05 PM
HOLY shit that would be brilliant!!!

Although i dont think that is what happened and here is why

The police had brought up pictures of Geller and posted them in the news paper. And even if we were to say Travis was Geller (like a split personality thing ish) there is no way in hell a guy as young as Travis could be a professor for the what was it 15 year he was teaching that course.

Tanglewood
11-24-2011, 05:12 PM
That's true, but I reckon (spoiler)

Maybe Travis has killed or imprisoned the real Gellar. If he's really crazy he might have no memory of doing it. Or maybe Gellar died some other way and it sent him over the edge. One thing I've noticed is that Gellar only seems to pop up in moments where Travis has to do something difficult, or is having a crisis of faith. And I've never seen anyone else talk to him.

amlptj
11-24-2011, 05:16 PM
hum... i will admit i can see that happening in the show... and if you are right that would be an amazing twist!

amlptj
11-28-2011, 03:47 PM
HOW DID YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DavidZahir
11-28-2011, 11:15 PM
I love Dexter, a startling and original idea superbly written and performed. Some of the show's fans, though, tend to disturb me. At heart I see a dark drama (with lots of humor) about a serial killer's strange quest to be 'normal.' His deepest desire is not to stop killing but to no longer want to kill--which, should he ever succeed, would destroy him. Meanwhile, he tries to be as moral as he can be. An essential part of that remains his personal relationships with others, even though he claims to feel nothing save (sometimes) fondness. But words speak while actions shout. So many fans of the show only want to see Dexter hunt down and kill people, actively hating his love interests even his friends. Especially the former.

For the record, I loved seasons four and five best, in that order, with one and two pretty much tied for third. Season three was the weakest but even even a weak season of that show makes for some mighty fine television. Was so worried the current season would simply forget or ignore all that Dexter had gone through. But they didn't. Hurrah!

Zoombie
11-28-2011, 11:23 PM
I totally agree with David Zahir!

thothguard51
11-28-2011, 11:33 PM
I watched the first season, as it was a fresh new approach. I got bored in the second season and stopped watching.

Shrugs...

Cella
11-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Love. It.

gothicangel
11-29-2011, 01:34 AM
I watched the first season, as it was a fresh new approach. I got bored in the second season and stopped watching.

Shrugs...

Season 2 slipped in quality. I'd recommend picking up season 4 with John Lithgow. I need to get some around to buying season 5.

Tanglewood
11-29-2011, 02:10 AM
Ha! I knew it. Can I call 'em or what?

cornie
11-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Dexter is one of my favorites! I think it's interesting the way that the show manages to make us root for a serial killer. One of my WIPs has a less-than-moral MC and I have been studying Dexter's portrayal to help my MC come off as a character that the reader wants to succeed.

I haven't started on the 6th season yet, but I'd say 4 and 5 were my absolute favorites. John Lithgow was amazing, obvs, but I also thought that Julia Stiles did such a fantastic job as Lumen. Man, I loved Lumen.

Satori1977
12-01-2011, 12:25 AM
I love this show and am disappointed I have to wait to watch this season since we no longer have Showtime. The season with John Lithgow was my favorite, he was chilling. Dexter is such a fun, unique, complex character. Yes, it is a thrill watching go after murderers. But I am more fascinated by the war inside the man, the moral dilemma he faces with every kill, every action he takes.

I also read the first two books. Good, but the second one goes in a different direction from the show. More disturbing, IMO.

ShamanDrum
12-05-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm loving it. Only half-way through season 3 though.

I find it disturbing that I've grown so fond of a serial killer. It helps to think of him more as a vigilante with personal issues :P

strandedhero
12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm loving it. Only half-way through season 3 though.

I find it disturbing that I've grown so fond of a serial killer. It helps to think of him more as a vigilante with personal issues :P

You make him sound like Batman with a knife...

ShamanDrum
12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
You make him sound like Batman with a knife...

He kind of is, without the high-tech gadgets, billions in assets and costume.

But, he keeps his identity secret, he works mainly at night or in the shadows, only goes after criminals and seems to have some sweet martial arts skills.

Just needs a cape, with maybe a bloody knife emblazoned on it, and it's only a small leap for him to become a modern-day superhero.

Samantha's_Song
12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Dexter is my most favourite TV show, ever. I have all of the novels on my Kindle, all bought for me by my husband for my birthday last year, and I have all seasons on dvd and have watched them multiple times over.
It's funny really besides Sex and the city, in the early days, I've never understood or liked American TV shows, I even hate The Simpsons and don't find it funny at all. Oh, the shock horror, someone doesn't like the Simpsons! :D

I'd first heard about Dexter from my sister and decided to watch it online one day when I was bored, early last year and was sort of hooked from the first episode, I watched all of the episodes one after the other.
I don't actually like what Dexter does - No person should be judge and jury. But the programme is brilliant and I love all of the characters, maybe except Quinn. Although I liked the programme and the other characters I couldn't make my mind up about Dexter, himself, until episode 9 of season one where they showed what happened to him as a kid, then I understood him. I love Deb, she talks just like me. :D And I love Masuka because he has a dirty mind, just like me too, he makes me laugh.

Until Dexter, Morse was my most favourite tv programme but now it seems boring compared to Dexter.

Oh, and I totally love The blood theme.

M. Scott
12-28-2011, 06:58 PM
***SPOILERS***

Despite the quality of the acting and all that, I had a hard time really getting into it. I adored seasons 1-2. 3 was a bit of a low point. 4-5 had their moments and really were best halfway through. As for six...a lot of great content was there, but wasn't pulled off in an exciting manner.

I'll start by saying Dexter is no longer the MC. It's his sister. We follow Dexter around about half the time, but he deals with very few conflicts. Yes, he hunts people down and ponders over some personal questions, but he can easily walk away from most of it. He makes the foolish choice to go after exactly who is department is hunting down (not picking up scraps to maintain his cover), bringing everyone around him into danger. Even then, his sloppiness doesn't ever get anyone hurt. The only real change in him was that he became slightly pickier, making it so that who he hunted down wasn't only a killer, but was nonrepentant...you know, the whole religion theme.

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly willing to watch season 7 when it airs. The best part of 6 was the cliffhanger ending. Throughout all of 6, I never felt his identity was at risk of being discovered and he doesn't push the buttons of anyone in the department. No one suspects him of anything, but makes mild complaints about his coming and going.

All that general crap aside, there are a few specifics that bothered me. For instance, tension that is never built upon. His brother very briefly appears as a hallucinated push towards the dark side. I was happy to see this, as it made something of his mental state and had so much potential. The mental tension of having a figure counteract his desires and the moral compass he is forming would've been fun, especially if he continuously talked to someone who wasn't there AND it got him into trouble. Something like a pending psych evaluation could've added tension. Alas, his dead brother being in his head saves his ass once (getting him to kill a threatening Nebraskan), then vanishes.

Then there's the whole intern setup. One intern has a morbid fascination with getting her hands on old evidence, stealing an arm from season 1 and selling it online. Coincidentally, her replacement was the buyer. I was thinking it looked like a ruse, like both of them were in on it and had some grander scheme. Nope. The newest intern is revealed (to us) to be a liar as he bones Batista's sister and we see the arm in a glass case. He goes on to genuinely want to work for the police and nothing is made of the arm. Oh, and Debs replacement after her promotion works out wonderfully. He's a useful part of the team within an episode.

The pluses: creative kills and a nice crime to solve. The character dynamic at least shifts around the MC. I'm glad the closeness between him and his stepsister is starting to change into a potentially new plot device, since she's in love with him...and finally sees him kill someone.

What I want: All season 6 did was set up some stuff and tread on old ground again. Season 7 could be amazing if all the buildup was acted upon. If it starts with him convincing Deb he was attacked in the church and had to kill Tom Hanks' kid, I could very well quit watching right there. The show has been renewed for 2 more seasons, so let's see Dexter face some consequences and have to really be creative.

COchick
12-28-2011, 07:40 PM
My thoughts on Dexter:

I can't honestly name a season I find the best...when I watch a show over several seasons, I tend to pick out the scattered memorable bits and remember those. But if I had to name a season that's the weakest (for me) it's season 5. Every other season I can name who the main protagonist is, but for season 5...I can barely remember what happened. I'm just not sure there was enough development there since it was mostly focused on the relationship between Lumen and Dexter...and I found that meh.

On season 6:

The first half of the season was sooooo slow. My husband and I would end up doing other things in front of the TV because there was nothing happening. I also found the random goofiness in the first few episodes...uncomfortable. Like when Dexter is at his reunion and gets some oral from a girl, and then dances to MC Hammer...ugh. What the hell was that?

The twists at the end of the season were good. BUT I find there's too much focus on Deb. I like her as a tough, cursing character...but she sure seems to be doing a lot of whining and crying ALL THE TIME. She's being made so damn needy, it makes me want to kick her. I guessed the ending way ahead of time, and I would guess that next season is going to spend even more time with Deb as she comes to terms with it.

I'll be watching till the end of the show, I'm sure. But I hope things get better...or more exciting, at least.

M. Scott
12-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Then again...him saying "Hammer time!" before killing a guy was fun. I actually found some of the stupid stuff to be what kept me going. There was at least something to laugh at. In general, Deb is a whiner, which is why we need her in limited doses. At a minimum, her and Dexter's problems are melding together, giving me some hope for the next season.

What the show needs is a good shake in dynamics. LaGuerta is a manipulative freak. I say she dies, just like in the end of the first book. We deserve that pleasure.

The "grand finale" of the season was long overdue. Damned cliffhangers keep me coming back. Just as with you, I'll likely keep watching until the end. For now, I suppose I should take a look at some 6 Feet Under.

DeaK
12-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey. I agree with both of you about season 6, but what really got to me was the constant internal dialogue reiterations of what was happening. Dexter's thoughts always summed up exactly why he's doing something and what just happened, like I'm an idiot who can't figure it out for myself. Thanks a lot Dexter!

I found the whole 'Deb's in love with Dexter' plot thread to be an interesting curve ball, but somehow I doubt that the writers will do anything with it...

Still, I like the feel of the show and will watch the next season too.

M. Scott
12-29-2011, 12:33 AM
If anything, her crushing on him will help him to get away with the fact that he's a killer....

Nameless107
12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
I thought season 6 was a bit slow yet i still loved it. when ever a killer can close to Dexter then you know its a party. and the killings in the season were so great. the angel had to be my favorite. what im wondering is what Debra is goning to do now. sense the dark passenger was introduced to her so late. From Reading it would have happend in season 1 with the ice truck killer.

Diana_Rajchel
12-30-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm on the fence. It had to go to the absolutes or moral absolutism sooner or later, but my partner was even pointing out the bad writing. Too many summation lines that just weren't necessary. What makes Dexter work is the jarring nature of his inner voice, how some if it is relatable and then the next concept just ... isn't.

DavidZahir
12-31-2011, 04:41 AM
I don't believe this was as good as seasons 4 and 5, but better than 3 and almost the equal of 2.

Mustafa
05-24-2012, 08:13 PM
I just finished watching this season and freaking loved it! I only love two shows on TV and Dexter is one of them. I am so glad it got picked up for two more seasons. Can't wait to see how this Deb / Dexter thing plays out.

JQTrotter
06-15-2012, 11:06 AM
I agree with what was said about this season. The start was really slow, I actually gave up on watching it. I never watch it as it airs, I catch up after it's all done by going OnDemand. After the episode with the girl getting hung with angel wings I was just like "whatever...". My older brother insisted I give it another go, because he said it gets better.

And it did. The second half of the season was much better, but I totally saw the big "twist" (the professor was dead and it was all in Tom Hank's kids head). Then Tom Hank's personality changed completely 180 from the sweet and scared accomplice to the crazy, headstrong, killer. I didn't really get that, but I went with it anyway because I like Tom Hank's kid. He's a good actor. Though, I can't really remember his name (I bet he hates people calling him Tom Hank's kid).

I agree Deborah seemed to be the MC with most of the personal story arch. It was really weird how Deborah's therapist was like "you love Dexter, not in a brother-sister sort of way, fyi" and then Deborah pretty much got on board with that quickly. Yes, she had some inner troubles about it but it was really short.

But the season's ending was totally worth it. I can't wait to see what happens next season. That's what I love about Dexter, sometimes you really don't see it coming. Like Rita getting killed? I never saw that coming. I couldn't even imagine how Dexter would function without her and raise his son. But they did and they made it believable.

In the book series (Darkly Dreaming Dexter) Deborah knows that Dexter is a serial killer, so I wonder if they'll use some of the books elements. Sometimes they don't, sometimes they do.

gothicangel
06-15-2012, 07:41 PM
I've seen seasons 1-5, loved the show. But now I just feel meh about it. I might rented it from Blockbuster, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't.

I'll keep reading Jeff Lindsey's books. But personally, season's 1 and 5 where the best [the books being even better.]

zahra
06-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Hm, thought the whole season was kind of lacklustre and actually, in some places, perfunctory. Too much old ground retread, even within the same season, ie, Batista captured and fire set round him, escapes before any damage done, then Dexter captured and fire set round him, escapes almost with a flick of the wrist.

Also, the whole 'Deb swears at the press call, LaGuerta smirks, Deb mortified but then - ta-da! Boss loves the refreshing, honest new gal!' - really predictable and cliched. Similarly, the new guy presuming colleague is some kind of underling and then finding out - oops! - 'She's the Boss!'

I guessed the Prof was dead almost from the first, I think because of the dead brother yakking in Dexter's ear. They seemed too similar in the way they interacted with their 'hauntees'.

Unless they're planning to do something with the creepy intern next season, his whole story was rather pointless. But I do think they're planning something; the way he was looking at Dexter in the last ep seemed indicative of future shenanigans.

I did feel LaGuerta was too 'nyah-ha-haa!' at first, so I'm glad they pulled back on that in the last ep and gave her more depth and dimension.

Also, anyone else find Deb's swearing really unconvincing? I dunno, it's just the way the actress articulates 'fucking'. It just sounds...unnatural.

I am interested in what'll happen now she's found out, though.

TroyJackson
09-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Best show on TV?

If you have not watched it before, you have no idea what you are missing. You MUST go to the nearest Netflix, Redbox, whatever and start with Season 1. Go... go NOW!

Oh, and definitely NOT kid friendly. Ages 18+ methinks.

Season 7 premiere tonight! :D

jvc
09-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Okay, I love this show. But I'm guessing I'm going to have to wait an eternity before the new season comes to UK television.

HeavilyMedicated
09-30-2012, 09:45 PM
I stopped watching after a couple of episodes into season 6. I really loved the show through season 4, though.

gothicangel
10-01-2012, 08:22 PM
I stopped watching during season 5 [I think?] The season with John Lithgow was amazing, but the writers didn't seem capable of maintaining that standard.

TroyJackson
10-02-2012, 03:19 AM
I stopped watching during season 5 [I think?] The season with John Lithgow was amazing, but the writers didn't seem capable of maintaining that standard.

Well, to each their own. The season with Lithgow was indeed amazing, perhaps my #2 favorite (behind season 1). But not every season going to be THAT amazing. We hope it is, but I can't think of a single series that has ever been able to top itself every single season.

You guys don't know what you're missing. Some good stuff, and helps progress Dexter's...humanity? This season has started with a bang, and even my wife is ticked that we have to wait a week to see the next episode!

Leroy
10-05-2012, 09:31 PM
as someone who has read the books, i've been waiting for her to find out the truth about dexter, since it happens in the first books and has taken seven agonizing seasons to build up to it on the show.

Jonathan.Bentz
12-05-2012, 12:21 AM
What, no comments on recent episodes? Hmm, guess I'll have to change that.

Before I begin, though, a thought: I have to note that the writing of the scripts could, for all we know, be excellent. How those scripts are interpreted by actors and directors may be wholly different from how the writer sees it as they work on these scripts. I mean, I know we all seem to have a sort of god complex when it comes to our writing, but then I see complaints here and on the DDP forums about how writing for TV or Hollywood sucks balls because the scriptwriters are treated like shit. Yet if a show is shitty, somehow it is the fault of the writer and not the ones acting and directing. Are we present when the episodes are filmed? Do we know the actual workings of the show? I don't think so. We know there are staff writers, we know the main cast, and we know whose working as producers and directors on the show. That's about it. I normally wouldn't have said anything, but this is a trend I've seen for not only Dexter, but other shows as well, and to my knowledge, scriptwriters complain about writing for TV/Hollywood because of how the workplace is. So if the show is shitty, is it the writer's fault? Or is it the fault of the producers/director of the episode who make the final decisions with the editing room on what's shown on an episode? That's my viewpoint. Oh, and if anyone's offended by the 'god complex' comment, well, that's just what I get from reading arbitrary statements by writers who don't work for the show (or in TV in general), but somehow think the writers have a final say on anything but the script they turn in, which are subject to change since a script, in the end, is nothing more than a BLUEPRINT.

Okay, now that that is out of the way, I am a fan of the entire series. I thought Season 5 was a bit weak at some points, but I found the idea of him having another partner interesting, especially as the way it worked out was different from what happened with Miguel. My favorite season was number 2, and Season 7 is shaping up to be just as interesting.

I have a nagging suspicion that Tom Matthews is well-aware that Dexter is a serial killer. He's Harry's old friend, isn't he? Didn't he share some of Harry's convictions? It'd be interesting to see if that's the case.

As for how things turn out with LaGuerta, originally I would've said that Dexter would only kill her if she did something like kill Deb or something. Now, though, with the most recent episode, I've gotta say it is likely he'd kill LaGuerta just to keep himself and Hannah safe. That, or maybe Hannah will return the favor, so to speak....

Either way, I'm looking forward to the last couple episodes of this season. I just hope we don't get another damn cliffhanger. Otherwise, I'm going to be having to continually re-watch the series until next season......(I did this with Smallville, and it wasn't as addicting as Dexter is)

Torgo
12-05-2012, 01:44 AM
Big fan of Dexter, though I am not going to read this thread too closely as I realise I haven't seen 5 yet.

One interesting thing for me is that Dexter is the first instance I can think of where a writer has had his first book turned into a TV series, and the TV series has consistently written that character/situation more satisfyingly than the writer has in subsequent novels.

Calliea
12-07-2012, 11:19 PM
I love Dexter, if I were to point to one show that's my favorite, I guess that would be it...

BUT GODS, someone kill Hannah. Like, right now. There has not been a character on a TV show that I wanted away with so bad for a longer while.

Maybe it's because I'm on team Deb, but she still pisses me off. I hope Hannah tries to kill her and then Dexter realizes how wrong he was! >D

I'm very excited for LaGuerta plans though! This may turn fantastic.

Calliea
12-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Omg omg omg... Season ended and I was holding my mouth for the last 10 minutes of the episode or so. Did not disappoint! Gaaah, gimme MORE! NOW. D:

<doesn't want to spoil anything yet>

INTPwriter
01-21-2013, 06:09 AM
I love the show, because like a book, we get to actually see inside the mind of the MC. It's something difficult to do in film. The story line runs fairly deep too. I'm just wondering how they will actually end it. I think he is going to risk it all when his sister is on the line.

BeatrixKiddo
01-24-2013, 07:25 AM
as someone who has read the books, i've been waiting for her to find out the truth about dexter, since it happens in the first books and has taken seven agonizing seasons to build up to it on the show.

I've read all the books so far too. The show really only followed the books for the first season (for the most part as far as the actual story lines).

I still love the show, but I am irritated that they killed of Doakes so soon in the TV series. In the books, he's still alive but can't speak due to his tongue being cut out, but he knows what Dexter is. It would have been awesome to have kept that dynamic in the TV show. I really wish they had.

Also, Rita is still alive in the books and the kids are showing signs of becoming killers themselves as they get older.

And Dexter's brother is not dead in the books yet. He keeps showing up in Dexter's life here and there. At least, I don't think he's dead yet?

Bottom line...read the books, if you like the show.

ReFreeze
02-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the input. Especially for Jonathan.Bentz's first paragraph, well, the whole post actually. It is just his first paragraph truly highlights the collaborative effort a movie, TV series and even books require... nay, Demand.

Ah, I have heard the next season is the last... "All Good Things..." and all that. I think they plan to pull out "ALL of the stops. I CANNOT wait so see and attempt to predict this final season of "Dexter"

Season, Baddie and Complication List
Tongue in Cheek...

Season 1 - Ice Truck Killer - Brother!

Season 2 - Lila and others -Lundy & Bay Harbor Butcher expose'

Season 3 - Miguel - Miguel

Season 4 - Trinity - Wow... LOTS

Season 5 - Jordan Chase's Killing Collective - Lumen and more...

Season 6 - Doomsday Killer - I give up.

Season 7 - Hanna - LaGuerta

Is that about right - in the broad sense?

Witch_turtle
09-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Resurrecting thread in light of tonight's series' finale. I'll white-out spoilers, just in case.

That was terrible. Awful, horrible writing. I don't even know where to begin.

<<SPOILERS>> What happened to Deb is the most unjust outcome for a character I've ever seen. What purpose did her stroke/death serve? I understand why Dexter euthanized her instead of letting her be a vegetable, but why on EARTH would he do her the dishonour of throwing her in the ocean where he threw all the murderers and pedophiles he killed? As far as anybody else knows, she vanished from her hospital bed--zero peace of mind for them. Not to mention that, as a writer, I am horrified that this was deemed a good ending to her character arc. Deb was incredibly reliant on Dexter and had very little belief in herself as a survivor, but she'd also been through hell and back and was amazingly strong. Having accepted that Dexter was leaving, she was ready to come into her independence. She was ready to survive without her perfect big brother who always took care of her, and, poetically, to take care of his son.

Which brings me to my next point: are we seriously supposed to see Hannah as a sympathetic character and believe Dexter did a good thing by leaving Harrison with her? No. Just No.

Deb should have ended up getting custody of Harrison while Dexter and Hannah either died or got caught and went to jail. That would have been the perfect, full-circle ending.

But even if they had to do it the way they did it...WHY DID DEXTER SURVIVE? Wouldn't his death have made more sense/been more satisfying than him winding up in his own little witness protection program as a lumberjack?

Not to mention there are just so many loose ends that don't lead anywhere good.<</SPOILERS>>

I'm sad. This show was amazing when it started, and though it took a serious turn for the worse during season 5, I was really hoping for a more satisfying conclusion. Especially from a writer's point of view.<<SPOILERS>> I can't wrap my head around how the writers thought that killing Deb and letting Hannah "escape" with Harrison was a good idea. Deb was the one truly good main character who deserved a happy ending. Hannah was a person who had such little respect for human life that she'd kill anyone who got in her way.<</SPOILERS>>

I could go on, but I'm sensing it would turn into an incoherent rant at this point. Anybody else have any thoughts?

mistri
09-23-2013, 01:27 PM
I agree that it was just incredibly weak writing Witch_Turtle. Poor poor story choices. How they could think that was satisfying for anyone is beyond me.

Will come and write more when I have time later.

Putputt
09-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Witch Turtle - Tooootally agree with you. Throughout the season, I wondered why Harrison was so attached to Hannah, but after watching the final episode, I realized it's cause the writers want to make Dexter's decision to leave Harrison with Hannah seem better than it really is. Fwiw, I never bought into the Hannah and Dexter romance arc. They're so stiff around each other. Where's the chemistry, dammit??

Also agree about Deb's stroke/death. That...yeah, I have no idea what purpose that served, other than pissing me the fuck off. It was such badly done soap-opera melodrama, made even worse by the fact that I thought this season started off really strong.

And what the hell is up with Masuka's daughter?? Jaysus, she's been shady throughout the whole season and then...nothing? She's just a shady-ass character with no real importance or impact to the show?? Goddammit!!

/endrant

MatthewHJonesAuthor
09-24-2013, 01:38 AM

This is strictly my opinion, for those who are still on the fence.

I feel like Dexter has more or less, hit or miss. The Season with John Lithgow was awesome, because Lithgow got the dark tone of the show. I don't think that all the staff writers got that tone for the entire series run.

Kathl33n
09-24-2013, 04:38 AM
White out response:

Dexter and Hanna should have both died together. I did like the romance between the two. They understood one another. Their love scene was hot this season. I agree, Deb should have gotten her HEA. It was set up so nicely with Quinn. The whole thing about Deb looking for office supplies in his desk and finding the engagement ring was something. I liked it. They were going to get back together. Why ruin that? Deb deserved happiness. I agree, too, that Dexter should have left Harrison with Deb instead of Hanna. And yeah, why bring back Masuka's daughter if there was no intention of letting us know what the purpose of that was? Don't get that, either. I also agree with Deb's body dump. With the whole pulling the plug thing, too. I lost my mother-in-law this past April to brain damage resulting from an accident and she was in basically the same shape as Deb. No brain function left. All you have to do is have the next of kin sign a paper and they pretty much stop the ventilator. No need to do it the way he did it.

How about the way he "took care" of Oliver Saxon? I'm sure he would have had to surrender his ID. How did he not? Your last day on the job=give me your badge before you leave. How did he pull that one off. Batista was fine with what he did? Really? I could see Quinn being all like, "yeah, I'm fine with that." But Batista? No. I think he should have gotten in trouble for something like that. Wait, it shouldn't have even happened, because he should have surrendered his ID.

I will miss watching this show, but I agree, it ended badly.

Favorite Deb/potty-mouth quotes:

"Well shit a brick and then fuck me with it."

Deb: "Sweet Mary, mother-of-fuck, that's good" (referring to coffee).
Dexter: "I think you broke a commandment somewhere in there."

Someone asks: "How much caffeine have you had?"
Deb: "A metric fuck-ton."

God, I'll miss this show.

Witch_turtle
09-24-2013, 04:53 AM
And what the hell is up with Masuka's daughter?? Jaysus, she's been shady throughout the whole season and then...nothing? She's just a shady-ass character with no real importance or impact to the show?? Goddammit!!

/endrant

Right!? My bf and I were so flabbergasted after watching that we ranted back and forth at each other for about an hour afterwards, and at one point he expressed this very sentiment. I, grasping, said, "I don't know, maybe she was just there to give Masuka a family and a happy ending?" Then we just stared at each other for a minute before both shouting something like "BUT WHY HIM, OF ALL THE CHARACTERS!?"

Just...zero sense. No part of the plot was wrapped up in anything resembling a coherent manner.

Calliea
10-14-2013, 06:40 AM
Wow, I have totally forgotten about the Masuka's daughter before I read the post on the forum here :D That plot was so disjointed and pointless, it had a start, it had a middle, but then it kinda... disappeared without an ending or ANY kind of connection to anything else going on on the show. That was odd. One could think they were rolling episode-after-episode while working on the script and it got out of hand. Because I don't see how they could've planned it out and left it like that.

Dexter had always been one of the shows that I'd rate the highest in my book - I thought it was brilliant and this bloody thing had me get up an hour early on Mondays so I could watch it before going to school cause I just couldn't wait.

In all honesty, I didn't like this season as a whole. I was very much disappointed about the time-skip at the start. I wanted to see the exact aftermath of LaGuerta's murder, it had plenty of potential, but they took the easy way out, in my opinion. Huge disappointment.

Then the plots that followed, I had mixed feelings about it all the time. Some parts were great and some I just didn't like at all. The Brain Surgeon plot didn't have me hooked at all, I was completely indifferent towards him, his victims and his methods. Not sure why, just didn't work for me at all. But I watched.

Then Hannah came into picture and i wanted to bite the table. I never liked her at all. I thought we were done with her and was glad, but nope, she became the regular and main love interest :D I wasn't happy. But oh well, I stomached it.

I assume I can speak spoilers now, it's been a while, I just came to type out a delayed rant :c

So about the ending... Let me say, I'm easy to touch, I cry easily. I bet I could find an episode of Pokemon that would make my eyes water. You would go deaf if you were around me watching a Moulin Rouge. And yet, after Dexter ended, I haven't shed a single tear. I looked at the ending credits a bit dumfounded for a moment, then I turned it off and went to play LoL. My favorite character died, everything went not the way I thought it should, but emotionally, somehow, it did nothing for me. Zero.

Deb's death was so pointless and out of nowhere, I really didn't expect it and it wasn't surprising in a good, shocking way. It was surprising in raise-my-eyebrows-in-confusion way. It was unneeded, it served nothing. It didn't make the ending deeper, it only let them make a visually pretty scene on the boat when he tossed her down the ocean (which made little psychological sense as someone pointed out above).

The whole Dexter ending was weird too. I'd sooner understand it if he died in the storm with Deb. That would have a semblance of sense. What happened with him was mind-bogglingly stupid. I was never a supporter of his relationship with Hannah, but I'd still rather he just went to the damn Argentina with her, the whole season was about him changing and fighting his urges and finding this love, but then he decided to make her unhappy, pawn off a kid on her (she had no house, no job, no anything) and /ragequit, becoming a lumberjack in some hole.

I don't even. I didn't expect something like this from the writers of Dexter. Last time I've seen nonsense like this was in last season of Downton Abbey and that made me quit watching the show. AND it was just 1 bit of nonsense there while it was a whole handful of it here. Bah.

Grrarrgh
10-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Wow, I have totally forgotten about the Masuka's daughter before I read the post on the forum here :D That plot was so disjointed and pointless, it had a start, it had a middle, but then it kinda... disappeared without an ending or ANY kind of connection to anything else going on on the show. That was odd. One could think they were rolling episode-after-episode while working on the script and it got out of hand. Because I don't see how they could've planned it out and left it like that.

Dexter had always been one of the shows that I'd rate the highest in my book - I thought it was brilliant and this bloody thing had me get up an hour early on Mondays so I could watch it before going to school cause I just couldn't wait.

In all honesty, I didn't like this season as a whole. I was very much disappointed about the time-skip at the start. I wanted to see the exact aftermath of LaGuerta's murder, it had plenty of potential, but they took the easy way out, in my opinion. Huge disappointment.

Then the plots that followed, I had mixed feelings about it all the time. Some parts were great and some I just didn't like at all. The Brain Surgeon plot didn't have me hooked at all, I was completely indifferent towards him, his victims and his methods. Not sure why, just didn't work for me at all. But I watched.

Then Hannah came into picture and i wanted to bite the table. I never liked her at all. I thought we were done with her and was glad, but nope, she became the regular and main love interest :D I wasn't happy. But oh well, I stomached it.

I assume I can speak spoilers now, it's been a while, I just came to type out a delayed rant :c

So about the ending... Let me say, I'm easy to touch, I cry easily. I bet I could find an episode of Pokemon that would make my eyes water. You would go deaf if you were around me watching a Moulin Rouge. And yet, after Dexter ended, I haven't shed a single tear. I looked at the ending credits a bit dumfounded for a moment, then I turned it off and went to play LoL. My favorite character died, everything went not the way I thought it should, but emotionally, somehow, it did nothing for me. Zero.

Deb's death was so pointless and out of nowhere, I really didn't expect it and it wasn't surprising in a good, shocking way. It was surprising in raise-my-eyebrows-in-confusion way. It was unneeded, it served nothing. It didn't make the ending deeper, it only let them make a visually pretty scene on the boat when he tossed her down the ocean (which made little psychological sense as someone pointed out above).

The whole Dexter ending was weird too. I'd sooner understand it if he died in the storm with Deb. That would have a semblance of sense. What happened with him was mind-bogglingly stupid. I was never a supporter of his relationship with Hannah, but I'd still rather he just went to the damn Argentina with her, the whole season was about him changing and fighting his urges and finding this love, but then he decided to make her unhappy, pawn off a kid on her (she had no house, no job, no anything) and /ragequit, becoming a lumberjack in some hole.

I don't even. I didn't expect something like this from the writers of Dexter. Last time I've seen nonsense like this was in last season of Downton Abbey and that made me quit watching the show. AND it was just 1 bit of nonsense there while it was a whole handful of it here. Bah.

From what I understand, the writers had several endings they were toying with, some involving Dexter dying, but Showtime wouldn't let it happen. They were absolute about the fact that Dexter had to live, no matter what else happened.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/showtime-told-dexter-writers-they-couldnt-kill-dex,103892/

williemeikle
10-14-2013, 11:09 PM
I liked the ending - to me it felt like a natural progression for Dexter after all that happened.

***SPOILER ALERT****
The dark passenger won - it destroyed everything that got in its way and at the end, it was all that was left of Dexter.

My take on Deb was that she was carrying too much guilt, had compromised her self too much in the name of Dexter's obsessions. And when it took her, the dark passenger put her where it put everything else that it loved, another trophy in the watery collection

Witch_turtle
10-15-2013, 04:43 AM
I liked the ending - to me it felt like a natural progression for Dexter after all that happened.

***SPOILER ALERT****
The dark passenger won - it destroyed everything that got in its way and at the end, it was all that was left of Dexter.

My take on Deb was that she was carrying too much guilt, had compromised her self too much in the name of Dexter's obsessions. And when it took her, the dark passenger put her where it put everything else that it loved, another trophy in the watery collection
Yeah, but...Dexter hadn't even mentioned his "dark passenger" in, like, years...when the show started it seemed to be a huge element but to me it felt like it just kind of went away

brainstorm77
11-12-2014, 11:03 PM
I finally got around to watching the last season. The finale left me empty :(

Viridian
11-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Reading through this thread, I'm genuinely shocked to see:

(1) Other people who hate Hannah and think Dexter's decision to be with her was stupid.

(2) Other people who like Debra and are mad that she died.

Everywhere else, I see people hating on Debra. Which saddens me, because, god, I loved her. The fan-hatred for her kind of reminds me of the fan-hatred of Skylar White. I get the impression that because they're female characters who oppose the male protagonists from a moral standpoint, they're seen as nagging, bitchy, and stupid.

mellymel
11-13-2014, 12:13 AM
I didn't realize Debra had so much fan-hatred! She was by far my favorite character on the show (almost more than Dexter--I lived for her scenes). In fact, I would go as far as to say, she was probably one of my favorite characters from any TV series ever.

RE: Hanna, I LOVED her. Loved her character and thought she was PERFECT for Dexter. I loved Rita, but I never really saw it fully working out between them (and to this day, that episode where she died is still one of the most shocking episodes I've ever seen--it's right up there with the Red Wedding episode from GoT)

Brainstorm, you are not alone. I was VERY disappointed with the end, though I think it' just a matter of it not ending how *I* envisioned/wanted it to end. I can kind of see why they had Dexter make the decision he did (sure did leave it open for a special return season or a movie--like they did with Veronica Mars), but it was still so...blah a finale to me for a series that was so fantastic.

franky_s
11-13-2014, 03:23 PM
I haven't seen one scene from the last series and I don't intend to. (from what I've read on the internet, it seems like it's a really lame ending.)

Just in regards to the Debra love / hate thing.

I loved Debra, I really did. I thought she was great. Until. Until they introduced that whole weird incest she's in love with Dexter thing. That was, to me, completely out of the blue, weird and had absolutely no bearing on storyline. From that point on I couldn't stand her. It felt like, because she's now the main female lead, we have to make her in love with the male lead. Completely turned me off her.

I would have loved to have seen the show end with La Guerta (sp?) arresting Dexter and clearing Doakes's name. That would have been a great ending.

TomMcClaren
04-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Just finally finished the series. See, I was glad when La Guerta died. And as for Deb, it made sense how things ended with her. While it didn't make sense the way it went down, I didn't see her ending up alive and happy after what she had to do. Even after all the progress with Vogel, she still felt guilty in the ambulance which told me she couldn't get past it. It was better than her committing suicide, which I actually thought might happen. I wouldn't have minded Argentina with Hannah, because I genuinely liked that relationship, but oh well. The only thing that frustrated me in the last season is when Oliver killed Vogel and Zach, why Dexter didn't chop his head open given the chance. I get the changes and stuff, but if that was the one thing keeping him from walking away wouldn't he have done it? I don't know, just a thought I had. Either way, I absolutely loved the series and will definitely watch it again down the road after I catch up with all the other shows I'm trying to watch. haha

dragonjax
04-08-2015, 12:19 AM
I finally marathoned Dexter. And after watching season 8, I went back and watched season 1. And then I was happy. I'll probably re-watch season 1 a lot, because it's damn close to perfection.

TomMcClaren
04-09-2015, 05:46 PM
That's the truth. Season 1 was magical.

Myrealana
04-09-2015, 06:32 PM
I found the whole last season to be a let-down. It didn't feel satisfying at all.

I loved Deb. She was often the best thing about that show. She made a lot of bad decisions, but she was true to her nature.

I didn't hate Hannah. I didn't trust Hannah, but I totally understood Dexter's obsession with her.

The first season was the absolute best, but I also really liked the one with Colin Hanks. Cree-py.