PDA

View Full Version : 48 years ago today: "Doctor Who" premieres

Alessandra Kelley
11-24-2011, 01:01 AM
...In glorious black-and-white with William Hartnell playing the crusty, mysterious old time traveller, special effects not much, and a brilliant musical theme (pre-synthesizer!) by Ron Grainer and Delia Derbyshire.

And science fiction tv became that much more fun.

Tanglewood
11-24-2011, 02:23 AM
I still think the music for the first series was the best.

Tanglewood
11-24-2011, 02:24 AM
That said, I think the modern day episodes are so much better than the "classic" Who serials. Particularly David Tennant's stories. He got some great scripts!

Calla Lily
11-24-2011, 02:28 AM
And the world has been a better place ever since. :)

*takes out Tom Baker scarf and pets it*

dpaterso
11-24-2011, 02:30 AM
...In glorious black-and-white with William Hartnell playing the crusty, mysterious old time traveller, special effects not much, and a brilliant musical theme (pre-synthesizer!) by Ron Grainer and Delia Derbyshire.

And science fiction tv became that much more fun.
Those were the days! Nostalgia mode.

-Derek

Alessandra Kelley
11-24-2011, 03:03 AM
Here are the original opening titles and music. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKg9tuSbXmk) -- Pre-synthesizer, remember. Those notes were put together by hand by the brilliant Delia Derbyshire. In 1963!!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39919000/jpg/_39919656_hartnell203.jpg

areteus
11-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Ah yes. And broadcast was delayed by a day because of the JFK assassination. Dr Who and Star Trek are the longest running Sci Fi TV shows...

Shadow_Ferret
11-26-2011, 08:34 PM
There's a show I've never been able to get into despite trying really hard because as a sci-fi geek I feel I'm obligated to like it.

Alessandra Kelley
11-26-2011, 08:49 PM
There's a show I've never been able to get into despite trying really hard because as a sci-fi geek I feel I'm obligated to like it.

Nah, you're not obliged. Science fiction is a big, big genre and everyone's got their own tastes. I'm not offended if you don't like Doctor Who.

On the anniversary night we showed our children the first episode and story arc, "An Unearthly Child" and some sort of caveman adventure. Their responses were ... interesting. Fascination and squirmy discomfort, interest and astonishment at the *cough* level of special effects and sets. We all had to resist MySTifying* the thing.

We're about halfway through the first Dalek story right now. The kids are finding this way more thrilling, but still more of a historical document.

We will NOT be watching "The Gunfighters."

*MySTifying: To make humorous comments about the video one is watching to the amusement of one's fellow-audience, in the manner of Mystery Science Theater 3000. If one's fellow-audience is not amused, one had better CUT THAT OUT THIS INSTANT.

underthecity
11-26-2011, 09:03 PM
When I was in high school, friends of mine were watching Dr. Who on Saturday nights. I had not yet discovered it. They had been watching the Tom Baker (in color!) episodes, and that was all I knew about it.

So, one evening I tuned it in and watched. It was in black and white, the Doctor was William Hartnell, and it was by complete coincidence the very first episode. As it turned out, our PBS station had started the series over that very night.

I watched all of them. To me (at that time, pre-internet days), Dr. Who was William Hartnell. Dr. Who was in black and white. I could not envision it any other way.

I resisted at first when Hartnell gave way to Patrick Troughton, but in no time I started enjoying his episodes, too.

I loved it when DW came back a few years ago. I love the tight, one-hour shows. I remember those earlier serials shot in video, particularly those with Peter Davison, going on and on and on and on, and were really slowly-paced.

areteus
11-26-2011, 09:23 PM
On the anniversary night we showed our children the first episode and story arc, "An Unearthly Child" and some sort of caveman adventure. Their responses were ... interesting. Fascination and squirmy discomfort, interest and astonishment at the *cough* level of special effects and sets. We all had to resist MySTifying* the thing.

Last year, in June, I was doing 'the 1960s' with my primary class. I knew that in the class there were quite a few Star Trek and Doctor Who fans (some of them had mentioned that that had been to see the new Trek film, depsite being too young for the certificate, I was secretly proud of them though publically reminded them of the fact :) ). So, of course, I had to mention that the first episodes of both series were aired in the 1960s. They were amazed (because, frankly, I may as well have told them that there were televisions in the stone age, the 1960s was ANCIENT history to these kids :) ). I got an Outstanding on that lesson too :)

I also surprised the same class by telling them the publication dates for the Narnia books and the Hobbit... same 'but wasn't that prehistoric?' reaction :)

maxmordon
11-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Fun fact I discovered today: Hanna-Barbera wanted to produce a Dr. Who animated adaptation back in the 80's, but because BBC not wanting to give up the rights they settled to produce the grand animated classic... oh wait, no, they produced The Fonz and The Happy Days Gang.

Diana Hignutt
11-28-2011, 04:49 PM
The original series was the best. My fav drs:

Baker
Pertwee
Troughton
Eccelston
Tennat