PDA

View Full Version : Food, Inc

Alpha Echo
11-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm behind the times and just watched this last night. I'm not sure I should have.

I did a search and couldn't find a thread about it. I'm not sure if I should put it here or in PC&E. But...

I feel like I shouldn't eat anything. I live in such a commercialized area. We only have a few farmers markets in Spring and Summer, which is great for veggies and eggs. But we don't have a place to buy meat other than the grocery store.

I gave up red meat long ago. But I like chicken and turkey...but there's no safe place to buy it here. I don't think.

And all the veggies at the grocery store...how do I know for sure where it's grown? That it hasn't been grown in cow manure (basically) as described in the movie?

Plus, my husband will never want to go completely organic. We shop at Costco.

I'm frustrated, and I don't know what to do.

Help!!!

ChaosTitan
11-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I didn't know they made a special about this. I have the book on my shelf, which I purchased right after reading "Fast Food Nation." It's truly amazing the crap that's put into our food. Even "fresh" food.

Alpha Echo
11-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I'll read the book next. I've got to do some research. We have a Whole Foods kinda close...but my husband will still by stuff for him and my daughter at Costco. Then we'll have two grocery bills, and I'll always have to cook for myself.

We have some organic stuff at Wegmans. They have a decent selection. But is it truly organic?

ChaosTitan
11-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I would look into what guidelines food growers must follow in order to label food as "organic." It's probably the easiest way to start. But honestly, even the stuff you buy at your local farmer's market might have still been grown using pesticides, no matter what the farmer says. It's almost impossible to completely avoid contaminants.

mario_c
11-26-2011, 11:31 AM
It's a potent doc. I've read the Fast Food Nation book, which they even made into a movie (not a doc, but something of a satire).

frimble3
11-26-2011, 11:45 AM
But we don't have a place to buy meat other than the grocery store.

I gave up red meat long ago. But I like chicken and turkey...but there's no safe place to buy it here. I don't think.
What's your nearest city/large town? Try Googling that name, and 'organic meat'. If you get a lot of choices, try 'organic poultry'. It's a starting point, at least.

ChaosTitan
11-26-2011, 06:05 PM
It's a potent doc. I've read the Fast Food Nation book, which they even made into a movie (not a doc, but something of a satire).

Yeah, it's odd hybrid of a movie. Kind of a docu-drama/satire, but filmed like it's fiction. I actually watched it several years before I read the book, and it's actually a good introduction to the book's contents. Like getting the Cliff's Notes first. ;)

Perks
11-26-2011, 07:14 PM
The book that this film is based on, The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan, is more fascinating by half.

And yes, it certainly changes your perspective on things.

Shadow_Ferret
11-26-2011, 08:14 PM
All food is organic. Sheesh.