What's with agent-publishers? (digital publishing from agents)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Seems a lot of people around here are calling it just that. Seen a thread or two around about it.

I'm not the most well-versed on the subject, though.

peace

 
Registered
Reaction score
Seems a lot of people around here are calling it just that. Seen a thread or two around about it.

I'm not the most well-versed on the subject, though.

Thanks for the quick reply! So conceivably, an offer for rep from one of them doesn't even mean they'll try to get you print-published?

Seems that they're just playing on every querying writer's huge hope of getting representation.

"We'd like to offer you representation... (to use our e-pub service because we need a bigger user base)"

Last edited:

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
It definitely feels deceptive, if ever so slightly. And it also feels more like self-marketing (for the agent) than legitimate representation.

peace

 
Registered
Reaction score
It definitely feels deceptive, if ever so slightly. And it also feels more like self-marketing (for the agent) than legitimate representation.

Exactly. I don't want to accept an offer, only to find that they're going to e-pub me (again, nothing wrong with e-publishing... but most of us are looking for an agent because we want to be PRINTED). They should be upfront about this.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
It could be a last resort, like, if they can't sell it to any of the publishing houses but they really believe in it and can market it well.

But again I'm not that knowledgeable. I've never sold a longer work.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
It seems to me that, should you accept an agency's offer of representation, you as employer have the right to add a clause in their contract saying something on the order of: "Agent shall represent Author's work(s) by presenting them for contract by royalty paying, advance-offering publishers and not to any entity involved in self-publishing."

You can add anything to a contract. If they sign, they're bound by it. If not, shake dust and find an agent who will try to earn their 15% by pitching your work to publishers who will pay both of you.

peace

 
Registered
Reaction score
It could be a last resort, like, if they can't sell it to any of the publishing houses but they really believe in it and can market it well.

But again I'm not that knowledgeable. I've never sold a longer work.

That's a fair point -- I suppose they wouldn't be offering representation unless they thought it had potential in the first place.

peace

 
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me that, should you accept an agency's offer of representation, you as employer have the right to add a clause in their contract saying something on the order of: "Agent shall represent Author's work(s) by presenting them for contract by royalty paying, advance-offering publishers and not to any entity involved in self-publishing."

You can add anything to a contract. If they sign, they're bound by it. If not, shake dust and find an agent who will try to earn their 15% by pitching your work to publishers who will pay both of you.

Thanks, Deb. That makes complete sense to me -- if they've got good intentions, then they shouldn't be turned off by that amendment.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Come on guys. This is sounding like amateur hour here.

A reputable agent won't gain anything by bringing in a bunch of authors and encouraging them to self-pub, and if they did, they wouldn't have their reputations for long. As long as they're up front with their associations it's all fine. You can choose what to do and if the deal sounds fishy, just cancel your contract with the agent.

Now if your agency contract doesn't have an escape clause, not that would be a problem.

peace

 
Registered
Reaction score

A reputable agent won't gain anything by bringing in a bunch of authors and encouraging them to self-pub, and if they did, they wouldn't have their reputations for long. As long as they're up front with their associations it's all fine. You can choose what to do and if the deal sounds fishy, just cancel your contract with the agent.

Now if your agency contract doesn't have an escape clause, not that would be a problem.

Wouldn't they gain customers for their new service? Especially for a startup, isn't that what they're really in need of?

peace

 
Registered
Reaction score
PS: I am a total amateur :)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Their reputation as an agent is far more important to them than a few dozen, or even a few hundred self-pub clients.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score

Well you are talking to at least a couple of amateurs. Speaking of creative work, at most I've published a dozen short stories--a process which requires a "how do you do, yes/no" and that's about it.

I've never looked into this to be honest, and didn't even realize it was essentially "self publishing," which kind of spins it in a new light. Though if you acquire representation, and said representation publishes your work, is it really self-publishing? Or is it just published work missing a WHOLE lot of checks and balances.

Either way this wouldn't be the route for me. It's interesting, but there's probably a reason so many writers are wary of it, no?

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I just typed "define: agent" into Google and from Wikipedia got

Agent (law):
in commercial law, is a person who is authorized to act on behalf of another (called the principal) to create a legal relationship with a third party

(That last bit of bolding mine) Literary agents are included on the list of examples for this definition of Agent. So where's the "third party" in an "agent-publisher"? I wouldn't consider a so-called agent-publisher to an agent at all, but rather a salesman/woman if this "publishing" they offer is at a cost to the writer. It's a clear conflict of interest.

Even if it's supposedly there as a fallback position should they be unable to sell the book to another publisher, it creates a perverse incentive to give up on that and on helping the writer being their book up to scratch. The agent is supposed to make their money by getting the writer a deal - that's their incentive.

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I personally know one agent who's added this to his list of services that is offered only to clients. However, it's a voluntary service. He's not going to look at a proposal and say "hey, let's just self-publish this." No. It's a service for other works that can be used at the client's discretion: for subbed works that didn't sell, for shorts that the author wants to use for promotion, for other works that might not sell to NYC (like novellas), to bring out extensive backlists that have gone out of print.

If the client wishes to self-pub on their own, they are free to do so. If the client wishes to use the agent's contacts as part of the available service, they are also free to do so.

Personally, I don't know that I'd ever use such a service. But I've learned this year to never say never where this business is concerned, so....

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
But I've learned this year to never say never where this business is concerned, so....

I'll say. :/

As recent as 6 months ago I wouldn't have considered self-publishing at all, but recent events and developments have made me take another look at the model to see it's viability for some of the things I'd like to do.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
Can you guys clear up which aspect of this is self-publishing? I'm sort of confused on that, as I don't know much about this service.

Self-publishing=author writes book, author puts own book into print/e-book.

Is that the case here or is it only that the agent is extending their title to editor/publisher as well? Do they merely encourage and assist the writer in their own e-pub efforts, at their own cost, or does the agent cover things like cost, help with things like marketing? Is there a contract between the two parties regarding the publication and is there a shared percentage? Does the agent offer any kind of advance whatsoever?

Some of these things would really make it legitimate/worthwhile or not in my eyes.

EDIT: after looking at the link upstream, if agents are merely "representing" work that would have been self-published anyway, why would I give away my hard earned (probably very small) profit to someone else? Unless they had extreme marketability...

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Can you guys clear up which aspect of this is self-publishing? I'm sort of confused on that, as I don't know much about this service.

Self-publishing=author writes book, author puts own book into print/e-book.

Is that the case here or is it only that the agent is extending their title to editor/publisher as well? Do they merely encourage and assist the writer in their own e-pub efforts, at their own cost, or does the agent cover things like cost, help with things like marketing? Is there a contract between the two parties regarding the publication and is there a shared percentage? Does the agent offer any kind of advance whatsoever?

Some of these things would really make it legitimate/worthwhile or not in my eyes.

EDIT: after looking at the link upstream, if agents are merely "representing" work that would have been self-published anyway, why would I give away my hard earned (probably very small) profit to someone else? Unless they had extreme marketability...

From what I understand, the agent is offering to assist with things like editing, formatting, cover art, etc... They aren't acting as a publisher, but rather as a partner in the process of self-publishing the author's work. Obviously these are things the author can take care of themselves or by hiring someone to do it for them. So by having the agent use their contacts when it comes to formatting and covers, it takes a few steps off the author's shoulders--for a percentage, of course.

There are pros and cons to this, and those have been discussed in several other threads here in Round Table and elsewhere as the agencies in question made their public announcements.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. I don't want to accept an offer, only to find that they're going to e-pub me (again, nothing wrong with e-publishing... but most of us are looking for an agent because we want to be PRINTED). They should be upfront about this.

Well, there's nothing "non-published" about e-published books. Lots and lots and lots of readers prefer ebooks, and the goal, I think, is to reach readers, not just to hold a printed book in your hands. If you just want to be PRINTED, you can do that yourself.

The way to be sure an agent is going to sell your book to a good traditional publisher, whether they publish you electronically or in print or both -- and that's what you want an agent for, to negotiate a favorable contract with a professional publisher -- is to do a lot of research on every agent before you query them.

Too many people shoot off queries to anybody who says they're an agent, and sometimes that lands them in varying degrees of trouble. Narrow down the pool of agents by carefully researching each one. What books have they sold recently? Is their list of books similar in key ways to your book? Is this agent likely to enjoy your book and be enthusiastic about it? And most importantly, to whom has this agent sold books recently? If being published by a major imprint is your goal, then only query agents who have recent sales to big imprints.

Pretty easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.