PDA

View Full Version : So- got my nose broken in karate-

sheadakota
11-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Wasn't sure if I should put this in Goals and accomplishments or here- ha-

God I feel like an idiot- perfect roundhouse right to the face- Block you dork! Block!
The worse part? I got blood all over my new white Gii-
I may not survive until I get my black belt.

Elaine Margarett
11-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Oh, OUCH!

Guess you know all about ice/heat applications. Hope u don't get black eyes, too. Although if you do you should take pictures. Could make a hell on an intersting Author's photo.

More importantly, can u get out of work on turkey day?

Hope u aren't in too much pain!

Ari Meermans
11-22-2011, 05:56 PM
OUCH! I am so sorry.

Got my broken nose in fourth grade. Courtesy of a flung baseball bat.

sheadakota
11-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Surprisingly my neck hurts more than my nose. A little whiplash maybe? Yeah did the ice thing last night- hot shower felt good this morning- But it hurts to wear my glasses and I need to edit today!(don't wear contacts) Just little bruises under my eyes and way puffy but not as bad as I thought it woud be-

amergina
11-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Ow! :( Hope it heals up fast!

heyjude
11-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Eep! Gentle (((hugs))). Hope it feels better soon!

Maybe this means you should give up karate and sit around eating bon bons and watching soap operas with the rest of us. :D

sheadakota
11-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Eep! Gentle (((hugs))). Hope it feels better soon!

Maybe this means you should give up karate and sit around eating bon bons and watching soap operas with the rest of us. :D
No! That's what my husband said- actually he said- ' You're too old for this." Oooo them's fighting words-

I'm going to take it easy over the holidays but I so want that black belt- I have another year until I'm eligable to test

regdog
11-22-2011, 07:18 PM
:Hug2:

Ari Meermans
11-22-2011, 08:34 PM
No! That's what my husband said- actually he said- ' You're too old for this." Oooo them's fighting words-

I'm going to take it easy over the holidays but I so want that black belt- I have another year until I'm eligable to test

Definitely fighting words, and I can relate. My dad used to tell my mother, "Sayin' no to YOUR daughter is like sayin' sic'em to a dog."

You'll pass--you've now got the blocking thing down pat. :)

heyjude
11-22-2011, 08:36 PM

:eek: I hope you showed him a move or two! :tongue

Wayne K
11-22-2011, 09:19 PM
:flag:

mirandashell
11-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Pain is the best teaching tool there is.

Back when I did tae kwon do, one of the black belts taught me not to turn my back by punching me in the kidneys. Ouch. But it worked.

Calla Lily
11-22-2011, 10:36 PM
*hugs*

Been exactly there! Only for me it was during a self-defense classes for wussies. (Me being the wuss.) The brown belt said she'd pull the punch as she showed me the technique. Oops.

It gets better. :Hug2:

Use it in a book. That's what I did. :)

Susan Littlefield
11-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Wasn't sure if I should put this in Goals and accomplishments or here- ha-

God I feel like an idiot- perfect roundhouse right to the face- Block you dork! Block!
The worse part? I got blood all over my new white Gii-
I may not survive until I get my black belt.

Did it hurt?

Just kidding! :D

I hope your nose heals well. I've always wanted to do a martial art but have never pursued it.

Perks
11-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Do be careful with yourself.

kct webber
11-23-2011, 05:31 AM
I've been studying martial arts since I was 10 (I'm in my mid-30s now) and I've studied 8 different styles. And I've discovered that you're belt is never quite black enough to avoid broken noses. I just broke mine again about 2 years ago. (I was fighting an opponent who outweighed me by about 60 pounds, so when he took my to the ground and slammed his chest on my nose, it crunched pretty easily.) If you keep practicing seriously, it'll keep happening. You'll get used to it. :tongue

Good luck healing. :)

PS: I still won the above fight, by the way. Arm bar FTW! Yay me! But then I had to go to the mirror and pull my very sideways nose back to straightness. :D

sheadakota
11-23-2011, 06:16 AM
I've been studying martial arts since I was 10 (I'm in my mid-30s now) and I've studied 8 different styles. And I've discovered that you're belt is never quite black enough to avoid broken noses. I just broke mine again about 2 years ago. (I was fighting an opponent who outweighed me by about 60 pounds, so when he took my to the ground and slammed his chest on my nose, it crunched pretty easily.) If you keep practicing seriously, it'll keep happening. You'll get used to it. :tongue

Good luck healing. :)

PS: I still won the above fight, by the way. Arm bar FTW! Yay me! But then I had to go to the mirror and pull my very sideways nose back to straightness. :D
Oh I think that would hurt worse! I was actually fighting someone lighter and younger than me but a black belt- he threw a front kick which I swept and took him to the ground, but when he got there, i hesitated and didn't jump right on him- that's when he took his other foot and caught me with the roundhouse- he felt so guilty- but it was totally my fault! I did such a girly move- stood up and grabbed my nose which was pouring blood all over the mat and me at that point. I should have just finished the fight!-I so could have gothim in a arm bar! I've only been doing this for the last 4 years- I have my 2nd brown and turned 50 in Oct. Want my black by 51-at this point I might have to call it my black and blue belt.

bettielee
11-23-2011, 07:12 AM
clearly, you need to practice your "duck style" kung fu.

Yeah. I said it.

SWest
11-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Thought I heard a bell ring...

...but seriously:

:kiss:

backslashbaby
11-23-2011, 06:08 PM
That sounds like it would hurt so badly! Ice everything, and be careful with your neck for a while. Man!

Fenika
11-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Want us to have a 'talk' with the other karate kid? We know where they post.

;)