• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Reader's Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of acquiring a publisher for my third book, waiting for the contract on that. Plus I am in the middle of multiple agent offers for my fourth book, still waiting to hear back on two others that have it. So far two have offered, the other two still pending.

In the meantime, I thought it best to read one of my spindles which is at 20K words. I have another at 15K, but thought to work on the other since I believe it has more potential of being a full length novel. I started it during the summer, then stalled...then stopped, then started the other, then stalled and stopped. And during all that I've been pushing my 3rd and 4th completed novels.

I opened the file, so that's a start, right? I even read and revised a chapter, so that's good too? But I can't seem to read further. I feel like it needs a huge boost of something...something to keep me interested in going further. What that is, I have no clue.

I don't want to start from scratch on a brand new novel since I have two spindles already. I just can't seem to move on, any suggestions?

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
What do you mean by a 'spindle?' Seriously, I had to read a few dictionaries and still couldn't figure out how you were using the word. Is this something new? (Perhaps I don't get around enough.)

As for answering your question, if you are that flummoxed by which novel to work on, toss a coin and force yourself to stick to the one that gets selected. I'm working on three short stories and two novels atm and it is frustrating to be writing on one while my mind is drifting off to the other. But I do it.

I am also querying a different, third novel.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Like Jaksen, I'm not sure what you mean by 'spindle' but I'll try to answer the rest of the question.

I opened the file, so that's a start, right? I even read and revised a chapter, so that's good too? But I can't seem to read further. I feel like it needs a huge boost of something...something to keep me interested in going further. What that is, I have no clue.

My first inclination is to say 'it's boring you'. Hard to say but there it is. Perhaps it's simply going nowhere in the narrative, perhaps you've hit a boggy place or you've hit a thread of the plot that doesn't seem to be working.

The advice I've seen (and found works like a charm) is to step back from it and outline what you have so far and see if you can find the place where you took a 'wrong' turn. Brainstorm and play the what if game.

And bear in mind that when you have a narrative that goes 'and then this happened, then this, then that', it's not a terribly compelling story.

http://www.mtvu.com/video/?vid=689002 gave a really good breakdown of this in just a short 2:14!

Things to chew on, at least.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to confuse anyone. I call my spinning stories that aren't done yet spindles. Like hand-spinning to twist into threads or plots, storylines as they say.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'm not really an outline type, but I will try it. I think (as I mentioned) getting these contracts over will help me too, to focus better. Plus with the holidays near doesn't help either since my kids will be off. But I'll be damned if I let my unfinished stories go to waste.

Thanks again for commenting, Jaksen and Bearilou, much appreciate.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to confuse anyone. I call my spinning stories that aren't done yet spindles. Like hand-spinning to twist into threads or plots, storylines as they say.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'm not really an outline type, but I will try it. I think (as I mentioned) getting these contracts over will help me too, to focus better. Plus with the holidays near doesn't help either since my kids will be off. But I'll be damned if I let my unfinished stories go to waste.

Thanks again for commenting, Jaksen and Bearilou, much appreciate.

Okay, funny thing. When I read spindles, I immediately thought of spinning and sort of figured you were talking about stories not done (still in the spinning phase). Glad I was right!

As for outlining, it's not outlining an entire book from beginning to end, it's taking what you have, breaking it down into simple components and seeing if (warning: spinning metaphors ahoy!) your thread is breaking from too much or too little twist; is it slubby from too much or too little draft; maybe it's not the yarn but there's too much tension at one point on the wheel or in the drive band...

In other words, you're looking at what you have and trying to work back to the point in your narrative that you're not 'breaking down' and seeing what happened. From there, the problem and solution would (hopefully) present itself.

Good luck!

kguiver

I'm unique, just like everyone else
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I like the spindle thing!! I'm going to call my work that now if that's all right;)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have an agent for the first two, but I did with the third book. That agent couldn't sell it. When I wrote the fourth, (after leaving the first agent) I searched for a new agent.

I was able to connect with a new one, finally. This one wants to represent both the 3rd and 4th book and we just signed together two weeks ago, so we'll see.

silverp

Registered
Reaction score
Spindle, if you don't mind. I'd like to borrow this word. Very nice. I like to paint and swim while I spindle my idea for book 2, just finished book one, and feel pretty good about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.