HWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hapsburg

Yay! I just realised the other night I have enough qualifications to join the Horror Writers Association as an active member. Now to scrounge up some dues...

triceretops

Good goin' haps!

In the old days, as soon as I qualified, I stormed the gates of the SFWA. I sure did appreciate the personal log book with addresses and phone numbers of my favorite sci-fi and fantasy authors.

Just sent 10 non-fiction book queries to 10 different agents last night. Three hours later I snagged the very first agent who sent me a huge enthusiastic response wanting to know if he was exclusive, and to send in a hard copy proposal!
Now you know that's nuts and it's not to supposed to happen that way, but it did. Now I'm fretting over the nine other queries out there and wondering if it is possible that I might snag more, and what in the blue blazes do I do if I do get multiple acceptances.

Whew...magic can strike when you least expect it.

Triceratops

Hapsburg

Dang! Good job! Did you get that agent info from the SFWA? I want to join them as well, but alas they're a little harder to get into so it'll be a little while...

triceretops

No, I didn't use the SFWA for procuring an agent, but you'll never find an agency in this world who couldn't steer you in a better direction. 15 years ago, it was the Horror Writers of America, and I belonged to them as well. But there
were no qualifications to join, i.e., proof of professional publications. I think you've done remarkably well if you've arrived at HWA. Now, your next step will be SFWA---and boy,
they have some super heavy weights in there!

Didn't use SFWA for an agent since I don't belong at the moment. I went on the Fictionaddiction.net site and found
literary agents that displayed their email address and website
address. I learned what each agent wanted from their website then sent off a total of ten book queries (about 2 pages in length). I was surprised to get back a positive response in just three hours. It usually takes weeks for a reply, so I studied the website again just to make sure the agent was legitimate. He was, and so was his panel of other agents.

Keep up the great work,

Triceratops

Hapsburg

I read your post in the ask an agent thread and am curious to death about your query letter...

Would you be willing to let others read it? You could pm it if you don't want to post, and edit out parts relating to what your book is about if you're nervous. I promise not to steal your idea, I have a hard enough time selling my own stuff...

Thanks for the link to where you found your agent info. I just sent out 25 letters by snail mail. I'm getting sick of buying postage...

triceretops

Hapsburg

No, I don't mind posting it here. Give me a few, don't know how to patch things across yet. I'll try it now. Believe it or not, I spent $615.00 on postage one year---I will never, never, ever let that happen again when all I got was form rejections.

Triceratops

triceretops

In 1993 the Southern California Municipal Water District began construction on the Diamond Valley Lake reservoir and damn project in Hemet, California. It was the largest earth excavation in United States history. Little did they know that they would discover a cache of Ice Age fossils that would rival those of Rancho La Brea, the tar pits. Two paleontologists were called in on the site and they found intact fossils of at least fifteen species. The press dubbed it "Valley of the Mastodons."There was such a proliferation of large Pleistocene mammals that no one could account for their presence so far inland. They showcased the largest mastodon found to date, and so dubbed him,"Max."
My book, written in journalistic/documentary style, is an exploration of this discovery from the very beginning excavations, to the final repository of these fascinating discoveries in the new museum that is currently under construction to house all of the artifacts. There will be several chapters donated to an overview and scientific description of the individual species including: habitat,
physiology, morphology, biological impact and other related topics.
Though the market is a general one for those fascinated with paleontology, the book has a very heavy regional flavor to it that includes all of California, and especially the Riverside county area, the city of Hemet, San Jacinto and Temecula areas. The mayor of Hemet, and the city counsel has assured me that the book will be sold at the new multi-million dollar museum complex specifically designed to house the vast collection. "Sue The Tyrannosaurus Rex", is a very similar documentary
style book that has soared to the top ten in it's niche. There are more than 55 publishers, including hosts of University presses, that have, and do publish titles dealing with this topic. The Major Dinosaur groups online: The Dinosaur Mailing List (6,000 professionals), Dinosaur and Fossil Digs,
The Society of Vertebrate Paleontology, and dozens of other large related groups, are all target markets for this title. The text will be written in such a manner as not to alienate young adults--many original photos, graphs, tables and line art will be included.
This book is different because the giant animals discovered were not entrapped, as in the case of the tar pits. They were free roaming, virtually inundating the landscape. Scientists admitted that they had no idea why they were found so far inland, nor why the specimens were so pristine.
The press and paleontologists dubbed "Valley of the Mastodons" the second largest find, possibly in the whole of the western United States.
I've had two non-fiction books published: "Garage Sale Mania" by Betterway Publications, Crozet, Virginia. "Auto Repair Shams and Scams" (with Ralph Nader) by Price Stern & Sloan, Los Angeles (1988 and 1990 respectively). Over twenty short stories in major genre magazines such as
Amazing Stories, Space & Time, and Doppelganger. Over 350 newspaper articles and profiles by
Sunset Publishing, Anaheim, California. Two horror radio scripts by Embassy Cassette Inc, Santa Ana.
I'm past member of the Science Fiction Writers of America, and currently reside with several writing groups. My past agent was Richard Curtis Assoc.
I'm a 25-year self taught amateur in Vertebrate Paleontology, belonging to the most prestigious related groups on the web. My associates and friends have degrees in paleontology, and geology to
counsel my progress and provide introductions, forwards or dust jacket blurbs. Though science will be involved in the manuscript there will be no highbrow definitions or treatments to bore or confuse the reader.
This is a work in progress. I'm currently receiving information, photos, press kits, and all related resource material from: The Southern California Municipal Water District, San Bernardino County Museum of Paleontology, The Western Center for Archaeology and Paleontology, and the Hemet City mayor's office. I should have a viable TOC and sample chapters soon.
I hope that this project might pique your interest. Feel free to email me.
(Suprise, this query nailed four agents in 20 hours!)

triceretops

Well, that was the query in a nutshell. I simply followed the guidelines for writing a complete query. The responses are,
thus far: four--yea, two--no, and one out of the office.
Still haven't heard from the rest. One, glaring mistake has been pointed out to me and it concerns my "platform." That
means my credentials for writing the material. It's true I am
only an amateur on the subject--no degree in paleontology.
Just because you have friends who are scientists, does NOT
count. So now I'm scrabbling all over the web looking for a
co-author, or editor, adviser, who might be willing to share
credits or author title with me. I don't care--I believe in the
project that strongly, so, if need be, I'll find my consultant somewhere out there in cyberspace. Hopefully before I'm
pressured to send in the partial manuscript.

Talk about pressure! But I guess it's a good kind of pressure.

Tri
P.S. If it just so happens that those four blow me out of the water, I'll start in the L's (agent list) and lambaste those agents all up to the Z. And by that time, I WILL have the partial script and co-author ready. I won't let them defuse me this time!

Sailor Kenshin

H'n! Interesting.... I'm a member of both.

Tri, Haps, congrats.

triceretops

Sailor, I'm really impressed! To be a member of both the
HWA and the SFWA is a true landmark in my book. Do you know of a Scott Virtes in SFWA?

Tri

Sailor Kenshin

Good ol' Scott!

You'll like HWA, Haps. The member-only board is really easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.