Extracts in blogs - should I?

MissTannen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm clearing out my blog right now and am considering making it more novel-orientated. The thing is, I’m not sure whether I should do what I’ve seen other authors do.

I know that some more well-known authors often put up teaser extracts for their upcoming books, but I’m on my first WIP and I’m not really sure if I should do the same. On the one hand, I don’t think people have ever read the blog and I’m forever worried about people taking ideas – not to mention I may never be published – but on the other it may be enough to encourage me to write more often.

Opinions, anyone? I’d love to know what people think.
:)

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to risk posting actual parts of my novel but talking about it shouldn't be an issue. Keeping your readers informed about the status of your novel can get them interested in reading it once it's published.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have reservations about putting extracts in blogs, but definitely keep it puny. There are laws that protect your work from being stolen online, but keeping an extract short further discourages would-be thieves--there is not much to steal in that case, is there?
(I mean, I worried about the same thing myself. I did eventually post up an extract, but as my blog gets few views anyway, and that the extract is only about 100 words, there is probably not much to worry about.)

MissTannen

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to risk posting actual parts of my novel but talking about it shouldn't be an issue.

That's a fair point - it would probably help just as much for me to put up word counts and things, as well as random things. Thanks!

I would put up an extract after the book has been published, to entice the reader to sample it and then go buy the book.

Again, thank you! I'll keep that in mind :)

I don't have reservations about putting extracts in blogs, but definitely keep it puny.

Fair enough - I wouldn't ever put up more than a few lines either way, but that's more to my built-in paranoia. Thanks for the advice!

Alwaysinspired

Registered
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself by saying I have posted one blurb from my published novel on my blog and that was when it was first released back in October. I definitely wouldn't post any excerpts for a manuscript I haven't published yet. I don't think there's any right or wrong answer. Some authors are comfortable revealing their work before its published, but I'm not.