PDA

View Full Version : What's it like for an agent when Holidays roll around?

playground
11-22-2011, 12:22 AM
With Thanksgiving this week I was curious what it's like for agents.

scarletpeaches
11-22-2011, 12:24 AM
What makes you think all agents celebrate Thanksgiving?

playground
11-22-2011, 12:28 AM

I didn't necessarily mean Thanksgiving, I meant holidays in general (hence the title). Thanksgiving coming up is what made me think of the question.

scarletpeaches
11-22-2011, 12:29 AM
One assumes they take time off like anyone else would. Some work from home.

playground
11-22-2011, 12:32 AM
One assumes they take time off like anyone else would. Some work from home.

Yea I assume that too. I was just curious. Sorry to have pushed whatever buttons that made you mad.

Mclesh
11-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Playground King, for what it's worth, I wouldn't send out any queries this week. Assuming most American agents are involved in the holiday, they, like most of us, are busy juggling a million things. I'd probably wait until next week. (If you were referring to queries.)

scarletpeaches
11-22-2011, 12:39 AM
You thought I was mad? Hell no, I was just answering your question. :|

Susan Littlefield
11-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Yea I assume that too. I was just curious. Sorry to have pushed whatever buttons that made you mad.

Nah, Scarlet is not mad, she was just asking questions. :)

Agents are like you, me, and everyone else on the planet. Don't try to figure out their schedule, just send out your queries when you are ready.

Playground King, for what it's worth, I wouldn't send out any queries this week. Assuming most American agents are involved in the holiday, they, like most of us, are busy juggling a million things. I'd probably wait until next week. (If you were referring to queries.)

I disagree with the bold part. It does not matter when queries are sent, they will get read when they get read. :)

scarletpeaches
11-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Besides which, with time differences and so on, they could be at their computer when you're going to bed. They might not celebrate any holidays. They might need time away from annoying family members and choose to read emails. Anything could happen.

Mclesh
11-22-2011, 12:53 AM
I disagree with the bold part. It does not matter when queries are sent, they will get read when they get read. :)

Susan, it's true. The query will end up sitting until the agent or assistant gets to it. Too much second-guessing is probably not the best use of our time. (But I'd still personally refrain from sending around the holidays.) :)

scarletpeaches
11-22-2011, 01:01 AM
The only reason I wouldn't send a query around mid-December would be if it were a snail mail query, as most in this country are. Agents just prefer it that way.

With the Royal Mail's inevitable Yuletide strike due to be announced any second...

No, I'm not psychic. They're just predictable. Betcha it'll happen.

stormie
11-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Every agent's personal life and working life is different. Some have the time to check their emails over the holidays, others don't. Some celebrate, some don't. Just send the query. And as for snail mail, I've sent things in what some would consider the quiet months yet it doesn't arrive at its destination, or I'm told it ended up soaking wet or the envelope was torn.

playground
11-22-2011, 01:50 AM
You thought I was mad? Hell no, I was just answering your question. :|

I apologize for that on my end. The way I read it your comments came off snappy. I apologize for that.

I wasn't necessarily asking this question for me sending out my query (but it is interesting to think about whether I should send it during the holidays or not) but more so because of the profession. With being an agent you are never truly away from your field with the internet. That isn't to say other jobs aren't like that. But I was thinking about my girlfriends dad and how he will be away from the office for Thursday and Friday and how he won't even consider anything when it comes with the office. But with agents you can always check the emails to look at queries and such. Just curious if agents have a schedule when they have holidays or not. I know everyone is different, just curious to hear some stories that's all.

scarletpeaches
11-22-2011, 01:55 AM
Moi, snappy? I can honestly say no-one has ever thought that of me before! :eek:

Warning: the above post contains bullshit.:D

playground
11-22-2011, 01:57 AM
Moi, snappy? I can honestly say no-one has ever thought that of me before! :eek:

Warning: the above post contains bullshit.:D

:roll:

Cyia
11-22-2011, 02:02 AM

Because all agents are American and live in NYC. They're also thankful for that fact.

:D

MandyHubbard
11-22-2011, 03:20 AM
I can say that I won't be reading or working on Thursday--- but I WILL be working the other days this week. Sometimes it's nice to work when everyone else is off. A little quieter! And then when I clear out my inbox, it doesn't immediately fill right back up.

Other business things slow down a bit. There are a lot of people involved at a publisher in putting a deal together, and that means when part of the office is out, you're less likely to see offers come in. But it's not impossible.

My clients are still working and sending me things, though, so I just keep working. :-) Revisions to be done!

Filigree
11-22-2011, 04:52 AM
I know that at least one editor will be reading my work over the weekend. I hope I keep 'em up until dawn!

Susan Littlefield
11-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Susan, it's true. The query will end up sitting until the agent or assistant gets to it. Too much second-guessing is probably not the best use of our time. (But I'd still personally refrain from sending around the holidays.) :)

The point is that the query ends up sitting until the agent or assistant gets to it. It just doesn't matter when you send them.

Jamiekswriter
11-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I once got an answer to my query on 4th of July :D
And my agent and I sometimes trade unscheduled e-mails around midnight - 1 a.m.

MandyHubbard
11-22-2011, 09:19 PM
I once got an answer to my query on 4th of July :D
And my agent and I sometimes trade unscheduled e-mails around midnight - 1 a.m.

I've received queries on Christmas Day! it doesn't hurt your chances, and you're still in front of the queries who query on the 26th or 27th.