PDA

View Full Version : Post-modern Fifth Column

Maxx
11-21-2011, 09:36 PM
I guess a post-modern fifth column has to invoke both the
Spanish Civil War and alien encounters (of the fifth kind, echoing Close Encounters of the Third Kind):

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011/11/20111120132050412430.html

Tiberium Tleilaxu
12-18-2011, 06:19 AM
I just think it's amusing that the columnist in the Al-Jazeera article doesn't see the irony, in accusing Iranians who want foreign attacks on their country to depose their leadership... by claiming they're using Orwellian language, when they are disapproving of the existence of their own dictatorship which matches a lot more 1984 tick boxes than anti-state persons do.

There's further irony by invoking the term "fifth column", since the Spanish nationalists were allied with rather repressive theocratic-fascist elements... and then talking about those would would seek to undermine that as bad, doesn't come off quite rightly.

Maxx
12-29-2011, 06:50 PM
I just think it's amusing that the columnist in the Al-Jazeera article doesn't see the irony, in accusing Iranians who want foreign attacks on their country to depose their leadership... by claiming they're using Orwellian language, when they are disapproving of the existence of their own dictatorship which matches a lot more 1984 tick boxes than anti-state persons do.

There's further irony by invoking the term "fifth column", since the Spanish nationalists were allied with rather repressive theocratic-fascist elements... and then talking about those would would seek to undermine that as bad, doesn't come off quite rightly.

Yes, it seemed pretty twisted to me. Also "post-modern" and "fifth Column" don't seem to fit together very well, though I'm not sure why.