Two Novels, Two Agents?

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm nearing the final revision stages for two separate novels and would like to start querying soon. One is a historic romance, while the other would probably be considered paranormal romance, or romance with science-fiction elements, because it has aliens and time travel in it. I want to use a pen-name for one of them because of the content and theme.

So, my question is, because they're different genres, how likely am I to find an agent willing to publish them both? How would that work?

Would I query both novels to the same agent at the same time? Or would I have to pick one novel, and then once the agent has agreed to represent me, say, "Oh, by the way, I have a second novel ready, as well"? If I can't find an agent who works in both genres, is it acceptable to have more then one agent? Should I even try to get them both published at the same time, or should I wait until one's been published and then push the second novel?

Will they allow me to publish one novel under my real name and the other novel under a pen-name? Or would I need a fresh agent for the pen-named novel?

Sorry for being so clueless! I didn't realize both novels might be ready to query at the same time, so I never thought this might be a problem.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
I know by the rest of your post that you know this, but I'm saying it anyway -- agents represent, not publish. :)

Anyway, what I would do is, when researching agents, prioritize those who rep both genres. Query the first book. When you talk to the agent, explain that you have a second book in a different genre, and ask if the agent would feel confident about selling in that genre as well. If not, that agent is probably not the right agent for you. You want one agent, not two.

As far as pen names, your agent will discuss it with you, but she or he will likely be supportive. The main reason NOT to use a pen name is to develop a following. However, if the two books are unlikely to have a crossover audience, then using a pen name can be part of the strategy to create two separate brands.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I know by the rest of your post that you know this, but I'm saying it anyway -- agents represent, not publish. :)
Yes, I got typing too fast and wrote "publish" instead of "represent", but you knew what I meant anyway. :)

Anyway, what I would do is, when researching agents, prioritize those who rep both genres. Query the first book. When you talk to the agent, explain that you have a second book in a different genre, and ask if the agent would feel confident about selling in that genre as well. If not, that agent is probably not the right agent for you. You want one agent, not two.
Okay, that's good to know. I just wasn't sure if I'd need two agents because they're separate genres. It might reduce my chances of finding an agent if I have to hook one who represents both genres, but I guess that's the risk I have to take for deciding to write both genres.

Thanks for the help.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
They're not different genres, though-- they are both romance, just different subsets of the romance genre.

Whlie some people do have two agents, it's more like 1 agent for something (like, say, picture books or young adult) and a second agent for something widlly different, like non-fiction for adults.

You're not going to find an agent willing to rep just part of your romance. Query the strongest work and discuss the other project with the offering agent. You can keep your contract on project A narrow enough that it allows you to published project B under a pen-name-- IF Your agent thinks that's even a good plan.

Plenty of very successful authors write both contemp and historical romance (kat Martin immediately springs to mind) and in romance, it's common to have books coming out 6-9 months apart. You may want to publish both types under one name.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm submitting two different genres under the same name. Not at the same time, but to the same publisher. After a lot of querying, I gave up on finding an agent for either of my genres. Maybe if I'm published, get some notice, and then need an agent, it will be easier to find one.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
They're not different genres, though-- they are both romance, just different subsets of the romance genre.
Hmm, I suppose so. The books themselves are so different from each other, it's hard to imagine that they're subsets of the same genre, but I guess you're right.

Thanks.