PDA

View Full Version : Why Starbucks? Do you know something...

Sydneyd
11-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Have any of you seen Starbucks' holiday theme. It is glued on the windows, pasted on cups. It irritates me.

Let's merry.

Really Starbucks? Really? Am I missing a meaning here? I thought 'merry' was an adjective, not a verb. How can one merry? You can BE merry but can you just merry? I don't think so.

Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

bettielee
11-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Oh, Sydney.

Let's happy.

mirandashell
11-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Nope. But it's been a long time since I expected big business to be literate in its advertising.

I'm loving it.

FantasiaFrogDesigns
11-21-2011, 03:24 AM
It could be a marraige proposal.

Or the letters B and E were too expensive so they shortened it.

It bugs me too.

Have any of you seen Starbucks' holiday theme. It is glued on the windows, pasted on cups. It irritates me.

Let's merry.

Really Starbucks? Really? Am I missing a meaning here? I thought 'merry' was an adjective, not a verb. How can one merry? You can BE merry but can you just merry? I don't think so.

Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

Devil Ledbetter
11-21-2011, 03:31 AM
I haven't seen it, but 'tis the season. Let's joy!

KellyAssauer
11-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Star who?

thothguard51
11-21-2011, 03:38 AM
Star who?

You know, that guy from Battle-star Galactica...

KellyAssauer
11-21-2011, 03:41 AM
You know, that guy from Battle-star Galactica...

I'm fracking sure she was a girl.

BenPanced
11-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Makes no never-mind to me. I don't coffee at Starbucks, anyway.

Sydneyd
11-21-2011, 04:40 AM
I wonder if they would be opposed to me fixing their window sign with a black sharpee? I'd do it for free.

Let's joy indeed.

KellyAssauer
11-21-2011, 04:52 AM
Did I tell you about the time we fixed the letters on the BK sign?
Originally it had said: Two Burgers For a Buck - What A Deal.

We fixed it good. :D

leahzero
11-21-2011, 04:57 AM

Will you merry me?

Mclesh
11-21-2011, 04:58 AM
Nope. But it's been a long time since I expected big business to be literate in its advertising.

I'm loving it.

QFT

Starbucks: Fail.

Sydneyd
11-21-2011, 05:15 AM
I may write a formal letter of complaint. Or perhaps and open letter...I'm gonna angry all over them.

amergina
11-21-2011, 05:30 AM
I'm fracking sure she was a girl.

Starbuck's been a boy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant_Starbuck) and a girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kara_Thrace)!

Think Different.

jjdebenedictis
11-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Starbuck's been a boy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant_Starbuck) and a girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kara_Thrace)!

Think Different.And desperately attractive, both of them.

I hope they merry.

Cliff Face
11-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Am I the only one thinking the "Merry" in the quote is Meriadoc Brandybuck? (It even has Buck in the name!)

It's like "Pulling a Homer". "Let's Merry" simply means "We shall display aspects of that Hobbit fellow all over this damn place, because that's just the way we are."

;)

Cliff Face
11-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Or maybe it's a quote from Pippin?

Merry: "Shall we have some pipeweed, Pippin?"
Pippin: "Let's, Merry."

BenPanced
11-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Am I the only one thinking the "Merry" in the quote is Meriadoc Brandybuck? (It even has Buck in the name!)

It's like "Pulling a Homer". "Let's Merry" simply means "We shall display aspects of that Hobbit fellow all over this damn place, because that's just the way we are."

;)

Since I'm such an ardent Not A Fan Of Tolkein, all the more reason for me to stay away.

Sydneyd
11-21-2011, 09:15 PM

;)

:roll:
If that is the case they aren't doing a good job. Not a single employee was smoking a pipe, dancing, or laughing.

BeatrixKiddo
11-22-2011, 02:08 AM
Let's merry...meh.

I give it a 5, on the 1-10 Level Of Lame.

tjwriter
11-22-2011, 02:58 AM
What was that terrible slogan from a couple of years back? Not Starbucks. I seemed to have erased it from my brain, but it made no grammatical sense and drove me nuts every time I read it.

Cliff Face
11-22-2011, 03:03 AM
Don't know the one you're talking about, sorry.

What really drives me crazy is this one sign near where I work...

It has "to" instead of "too". I hate that! Hello? You own your own business! Surely you know how to spell?!?

*grumble*

kayleamay
11-22-2011, 03:44 AM
The Hybrid: Then shall the maidens rejoice of the dance... Structural integrity of node 7 restored... Repressurizing... The children of the one reborn shall find their own country... End of line. Reset. Track mode monitor malfunction traced... Recharge compressors... Increase the output to 50 percent... is inevitable, leading to information bleed... FTL sync fault stands uncorrected... No ceremonies are necessary...

That's all I have to say about this.

From IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993928/quotes)

benbradley
11-22-2011, 03:48 AM
Express Lane
14 Items Or Lest

(wait till Mac checks my IP address)

GailD
11-22-2011, 03:59 AM
We don't barsucksStarbucks here in SA.

Maybe that's a good thing. :)

LOG
11-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Maybe they're trying to appeal to interneters. (I made up that word.)

Cliff Face
11-22-2011, 07:40 AM
I do believe Internetters should have 3 Ts in it. Otherwise the "net" sound becomes "neat"ers the way you spelled it originally.

;)

LauraAnnSwanson
11-22-2011, 07:45 AM
I stopped Starbucking after I asked for an extra shot of whipped cream and the pimply neo-hippie behind the counter chuckled and said ok, but it would take him a few minutes with some baby oil...

I barfed in my mouth and haven't been back.

FabricatedParadise
11-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Oh man, You guys just made me laugh so hard I woke the baby up. This might be the best thread I've read to-date. Sydney - if I were you I would angry all over them.

Laura - your posT is the exception to the above statement. I sympathy-barfed in my mouth a little.

LOG
11-22-2011, 08:06 AM
I do believe Internetters should have 3 Ts in it. Otherwise the "net" sound becomes "neat"ers the way you spelled it originally.

;)
I concur with your assessment.
Internetters it is.

Sydneyd
11-22-2011, 08:13 AM
"The Hybrid: Then shall the maidens rejoice of the dance... Structural integrity of node 7 restored... Repressurizing... The children of the one reborn shall find their own country... End of line. Reset. Track mode monitor malfunction traced... Recharge compressors... Increase the output to 50 percent... is inevitable, leading to information bleed... FTL sync fault stands uncorrected... No ceremonies are necessary..."

That's all I have to say about this.

From IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993928/quotes)

At first I thought this was a rough attempt at poetry. I would like to only add, WTH?

tjwriter
11-22-2011, 07:08 PM
What was that terrible slogan from a couple of years back? Not Starbucks. I seemed to have erased it from my brain, but it made no grammatical sense and drove me nuts every time I read it.

Don't know the one you're talking about, sorry.

What really drives me crazy is this one sign near where I work...

It has "to" instead of "too". I hate that! Hello? You own your own business! Surely you know how to spell?!?

*grumble*

HA! Now I remember. It was a flipping Disney cartoon with that new Winnie the Pooh and *Darby* instead of Christopher Robin.

She kept saying, "It's time to slap my cap."

I kept going, "On! Slap your cap ON! Or Slap ON your cap!"

Otherwise it kept sounding like she was trying to bitch slap that cap and beat it down.

I wanted to spork my ears out every time I heard it.