The mists are closing in.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
It's horror film level out there today. I wouldn't be surprised if my city had walled itself off against invaders using supernatural mist. You can't see more than a few yards.

Now, because we're in marshland down here mists aren't uncommon, but this is the worst one I;ve seen in the city for five years or so. Out in the country it must be even worse. I mean, I saw a bus and it's lights disappear in five minutes.

alegory

Registered
Reaction score
Is it also really cold where you are? It feels icy here.

You can usually see 6 towerblocks from my window but at one point today, you could just make out the outline of two of them and the rest were totally obscured.

I'm actually quite liking the mist, though- there's something quite magical about it. And being all grey, it really set off all the autumnal colours in the leaves of the trees outside ^^

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i'm far away in a flat, dry place called kansas, so it all seems very brit, very romantic to me. i can hear the hound of the baskervilles baying; catherine earnshaw calling for heathcliffe; arthur and his knights crashing out of the mists; the green knight's roofless chapel. still, i'll bet it's a bitch to get around in a fog like that. do you just stay in? are there advisories? --s6

Last edited:

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
It's quite mild, but being outside you get quite chilled very quickly. No advisories, but anyone who's lived here for a while knows what to do. We were going to go out for a meal, but we'll probably leave it. The roads were packed with people going home. I imagine it'll be quiet out there now.

As for romantic, hardly. I live in a slightly nasty corner of town. I guess all the takeaway signs take on an otherworldly glow, and the KFC looked positively eldritch. The park looked amazing when we went past in the car though, just this silver-dark hole in the city with the yellow lights around it.

I can only just see to the wine shop at the end of my road now, and that's only because it's a main road (slightly less mist) and the wine place has tons of neon.

Last edited:

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I'll admit: My over imaginative brain immediately worries that: We've been cut off by otherworldly mist and that there might be mistwraiths.

It was mists like this that made the romans drain the fens.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
It's horror film level out there today. I wouldn't be surprised if my city had walled itself off against invaders using supernatural mist. You can't see more than a few yards.

Now, because we're in marshland down here mists aren't uncommon, but this is the worst one I;ve seen in the city for five years or so. Out in the country it must be even worse. I mean, I saw a bus and it's lights disappear in five minutes.

It was! The Met office have a 'yellow fog warning'. Nope - not yellow fog. See here:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/ee_forecast_warnings.html

Sods Law! After weeks of no work tomorrow I have to be out of the house by 07.00, if not before, and drive thirty miles to do a job. hmph!

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I notice that warning's over the fenlands, mostly. Not a surprise.

It's a good night for Black Shuck to be walking: He likes the mists, doesn't he?

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I notice that warning's over the fenlands, mostly. Not a surprise.

It's a good night for Black Shuck to be walking: He likes the mists, doesn't he?

He surely does. I put some chicken out for him, just in case he passes.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sunny and 65 here :gone:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
how very tolkien. i'm sorry but fenns sounds lovely in a spooky way. there might be a troll wife lurking in those fenns. just windy, cold and dusty here. i'll trade you a heather and gorse for a tumbleweed --s6 ps--i'm not even sure what gorse is. gotta google it.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's really not romantic. Not when you're out in it, trying to get home. It's like being in a grey bubble. When it's down to a few yards, in the dark, it's as scary as hell. You can't see anyone coming and you can barely hear anything. The street light only shine on the fog and car lights appear as sudden fuzzy blobs.

It's not romantic at all.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Cloudy, overcast and cool in Chicago, Illinois.

We occasionally get fogs rolling in off Lake Michigan, which is only a few blocks from our house. Sometimes you can actually see it rolling down the streets (which are not that wide), and once I saw it pouring over the roof of the apartment building across the street from our house.

I bet the pics would be lovely.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Good idea; Just don't look into his eyes if he does.

I certainly do not look in his eyes. But I do howl at him in greeting!

What mirandashell said. Even worse it there is a full moon and moonlight shines through the mist.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score

This sounds so exciting to me for some reason.

It was misty here one day, but lately nothing but cool air and sunshine.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
mist1g.jpg

As long as you don't see this on your car once you leave the grocery store, you'll be fine. :D

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Darn! I wish I could see that picture. (Won't open on my pc)

But mist? Not much around here usually but my house is in a small valley, right next to a large park with a stream. When conditions are right, a fairly thick fog rises from the stream and spreads out across the valley. Lights on the other side (about a quarter of a mile away) disappear and it gives one a strange feeling of isolation.

I experienced a pea-souper in London (UK) once. It wasn't very pleasant. Maybe I'm not fey enough. :)