PDA

View Full Version : Just received offer of rep....Help!

bunderful
11-20-2011, 07:14 PM
When I speak to the agent offering what do I say about all the other fulls I still have out? Do I mention them?

Perks
11-20-2011, 07:24 PM
The polite thing to do is to inform the other agents who are reading that you have an offer of representation. Usually you give them a few days to either finish and offer themselves or bow out.

The offering agent will entirely understand and even expect this. Just tell him or her that you are thrilled and will straight away tell the others that there is an offer on the table.

Don't worry, a few days will not - I promise - make a reputable agent in any way uncomfortable.

In the interim, you'll have to start thinking about what you'll do if you end up with multiple offers.

Giant Baby
11-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Not unless asked. At the end of the call, just confirm that you're very excited about the offer (assuming that you are), and that you'd like a week (or whatever you think you'll need, a week is pretty common) to consider it. Then you get in touch with everyone reading and let them know you have an offer to give them time to decide whether they want to bust a move and get your book read, or bow out.

They're used to this. It's cool.

bunderful
11-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Should I tell her how many other people have read my full in the past and rejected it (~20)? Should I tell her how many fulls I still have out (~15)?

Do I name names of the agents who rejected or who still have it???

Cyia
11-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Should I tell her how many other people have read my full in the past and rejected it (~20)? Should I tell her how many fulls I still have out (~15)?

You don't need to give her details unless you're asked. Just thank her for the offer and tell her you'll give her an answer in a week (or 10 days); there are others reading and you need to inform them that you've received an offer. This is standard practice and not something a legit agent will balk at.

I only had one agent ask for a name, and that was an agent who asked who had made the original offer. She wanted to make sure it wasn't a scammer.

Perks
11-20-2011, 07:59 PM

No, none of that is relevant. (Especially not who has rejected it.) It is unusual for an agent to ask you to name names, unless like Cyia suggested, it's for legitimate reasons. Just say you need a few days. The agent will understand.

Perks
11-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Oh, and congratulations!

bunderful
11-20-2011, 08:01 PM
You don't need to give her details unless you're asked. Just thank her for the offer and tell her you'll give her an answer in a week (or 10 days); there are others reading and you need to inform them that you've received an offer. This is standard practice and not something a legit agent will balk at.

I only had one agent ask for a name, and that was an agent who asked who had made the original offer. She wanted to make sure it wasn't a scammer.

I had an agent ask me that. Should I tell?

bunderful
11-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Oh, and congratulations!

Thanks but my breath is still held until this is all final. Feeling very much in limbo stool until things are final and decided/signed....

Perks
11-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks but my breath is still held until this is all final. Feeling very much in limbo stool until things are final and decided/signed....Totally normal and pretty much a way of life, as far as I can tell.

Still, it's a good feeling. It's a step - a big step - in the right direction.

Perks
11-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Ask you what, specifically?

bunderful
11-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Ask you what, specifically?

Who the agent was who offered initial rep.

bunderful
11-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Just had the most amazing phone conversation with the agent who offered me rep. am completely blown away by how much she "gets" my novel.

And 6 other agents replied so far that they are going to read my full and get back to me.

This is totally insane....

stormie
11-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Just had the most amazing phone conversation with the agent who offered me rep. am completely blown away by how much she "gets" my novel.

And 6 other agents replied so far that they are going to read my full and get back to me.

...and wonderful! Let us know how it goes w/ the others, too.

Perks
11-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Very cool! Have fun!

Cyia
11-20-2011, 10:03 PM

There's no reason not to. Legit agents don't want to see a good book get thrown to a scam, nor do they want to be scammed.

Telling the agent who asked will not only give her the chance to say "beware" if the person who offered is shady (definitely doesn't sound like that's the case here - congrats) and it also lets them know that you aren't one of those queriers who gets the bright idea to tell all the agents reading your MS that you've got an offer when you really don't. (Which can backfire as often as it can succeed, as when given a time constraint, many agents simply bow out.)

TruckinTWrites
11-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Seems like a good problem to have. :)

kaitie
11-21-2011, 12:03 AM
I just wanted to say congrats. Mind boggling but fun! Enjoy. :D

Corinne Duyvis
11-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Congratulations!

It's totally up to you if you want to tell other agents who made the original offer. You don't have to, but I'd recommend yes. If you don't, they might wonder why not -- sometimes people fake offers of rep to get quicker responses from other agents.

MandyHubbard
11-21-2011, 08:30 PM
I actually prefer not to know who the other agent is. I find myself "bumping into" the same agents repeatedly as we have simliar tastes. I also have a core group of good agent friends. If I know one of them made the offer, I might decline reading it out of respect for him/her.

I never ask who else offered, though I've had some folks volunteer the information. I just like to read in an unbiased way, and throw my hat in the ring based upon the merit of the project. If I know my agent BFF oir BIG NAME AGENT offered, it could skew my line of thinking.

Just my two cents. :-)

WriteMinded
11-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Good for you! What a wonderful "problem" to have. :)

shaldna
11-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Congrats. Let us know how it all works out.

bunderful
11-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I actually prefer not to know who the other agent is. I find myself "bumping into" the same agents repeatedly as we have simliar tastes. I also have a core group of good agent friends. If I know one of them made the offer, I might decline reading it out of respect for him/her.

I never ask who else offered, though I've had some folks volunteer the information. I just like to read in an unbiased way, and throw my hat in the ring based upon the merit of the project. If I know my agent BFF oir BIG NAME AGENT offered, it could skew my line of thinking.

Just my two cents. :-)

Thanks Mandy. Two agents have already asked that question...but I replied very nicely that I don't feel comfortable disclosing that information. Frankly it made me feel very uncomfortable (like, why are they asking me?? and what if I give the wrong answer??)

Anyhow. Interesting times for me right now. Every day is bringing new and interesting emails.

Craziness.

Will keep you all posted...

MandyHubbard
11-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Mandy. Two agents have already asked that question...but I replied very nicely that I don't feel comfortable disclosing that information. Frankly it made me feel very uncomfortable (like, why are they asking me?? and what if I give the wrong answer??)

I think sometimes agents like to know to gauge how "hot" a project is, and how likely it is they'll sign it. If a brand new agent offers on something and say, a writer's house veteran agent offers, we know what we're up against. It takes SO many hours to read a project that it's an investment and sometimes it is helpful to know how likely it is that we'll sign the project. Granted it's actually out of our control!

It really is tempting for me to ask, but I just prefer to know after the fact.

If it's something I decline, I always ask at that point who it is. It's just always interesting to see what colleagues are out there offering on, whether I love it or not.

I don't see any reason to NOT tell them if they do ask.

Susan Littlefield
11-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Congratulations, Bunderful!

fredXgeorge
11-24-2011, 07:09 AM
Congratulations! Will definitely be keeping an eye out to see how it goes for you.

LaneHeymont
11-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Congratulations!

It's totally up to you if you want to tell other agents who made the original offer. You don't have to, but I'd recommend yes. If you don't, they might wonder why not -- sometimes people fake offers of rep to get quicker responses from other agents.

Never even thought of that. Creative, but I'd feel guilty doing it.

LaneHeymont
11-24-2011, 10:54 PM
OH and contrast! That's an AWESOME situation to be in! :)

anamk
11-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Congratulation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura Droege
11-26-2011, 01:46 AM

Wow!! I'm excited for you!

MysteryRiter
11-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Just want to point out that this is one of the best dilemmas an author could have. :D
Congrats!

bunderful
11-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Well, so far, I have to say my dilemma has grown. Three agents said they would only be willing to offer rep. if I went through significant revisions (with them) - the original agent who offered rep. thinks my novel is perfect as it is...which makes me nervous if three others think it still needs work. But the other three don't "get" my novel like she does and I haven't had phone conversations with them so I can't tell if they "get" my novel or not. They certainly aren't as excited about it as she is...

I still haven't heard back from a bunch of other agents though....so we will see what the week brings...

What would you do?

Right now I am leaning towards the agent who is in love...but I am a little concerned about what everyone else seems to be saying...

Perks
11-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Right now I am leaning towards the agent who is in love...but I am a little concerned about what everyone else seems to be saying...If this person is a reputable agent and gets what it is you've attempted with your manuscript, then go with the enthusiasm. If you have a reputable agent with established contacts, he/she will know who to pitch for what you've done.

I know whereof I speak, I promise.

Perks
11-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Do you have access to Publishers Marketplace? If so, you may find it useful to look up some of the agents in play and see what their recent sales look like - what sort of books to which publishing houses.

Tromboli
11-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Definitely do as much research as possible about the agent, just in case. But I would go with agent 1 for sure (were it me I mean. That doesn't mean it's for sure the best choice for you). Someone with heart and passion is the most important thing to me. As long as this agent is selling in your market than I don't see why you should second guess your own vision (that clearly you say she "gets") because some other agents have another view. (Unless of course you agree with the suggested revisions. Then I might bring them up to your choice agent and see how she reacts)

Use your head but go with your gut. That's my advice anyway.

WriteMinded
11-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Well, so far, I have to say my dilemma has grown. Three agents said they would only be willing to offer rep. if I went through significant revisions (with them) - the original agent who offered rep. thinks my novel is perfect as it is...which makes me nervous if three others think it still needs work. But the other three don't "get" my novel like she does and I haven't had phone conversations with them so I can't tell if they "get" my novel or not. They certainly aren't as excited about it as she is...

I still haven't heard back from a bunch of other agents though....so we will see what the week brings...

What would you do?

Right now I am leaning towards the agent who is in love...but I am a little concerned about what everyone else seems to be saying...I know nothing so I'm not offering advice. I just wonder if you can ask the agents who want revisions what changes they would be wanting and just what they mean by 'significant'. It would be easy to get caught up in the enthusiasm of the agent who wants your book so badly. Obviously you've written a great novel or you wouldn't be getting all this attention. But maybe you should hear what the other agents have to say before you make such a big decision. :Shrug:

Heed the posters who suggested that you research this gung ho agent before you sign.

I wish the very best! :)

MysteryRiter
11-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Bunderful,
I have no experience with this (sadly) but my suggestion would be to do research on all the agents offering rep. If the others are just about as reputable as the first, I'd go with the enthusiastic one. But if the one is a standout - more reputable than the rest - go with him or her. I'm sure they are all enthusiastic - after all, they are offering to rep you. :D Good luck and keep us posted.

Quickbread
11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
What would you do?

Right now I am leaning towards the agent who is in love...but I am a little concerned about what everyone else seems to be saying...

I think it depends on if you're looking for an agent for your career or for a single book. An agent who loves and understands your writing style is going to be receptive and excited about your future books, too. If the agents were all of similar caliber, I would personally lean toward the agent who loved my book as is -- as long as I loved it exactly the way it is. And I'd do phone interviews to really probe the other agents and find out what they liked so much they want to offer representation, and also get more detail about revisions. Are both agents saying the same thing regarding edits?

The bigger question that sounds like it's vexing you is whether your manuscript would be better or worse for the edits. In your gut, do you think the comments would make it a better book? Do you feel like it's finished as is? Would the edits make the novel a truer representation of your artistic vision or move it away from that? You could talk to the agent who loves the novel about the suggested revisions and see what she thinks.

What about comments from other agents who've rejected your book? Do they align with what these other two are saying?

I'm in the midst of making edits now based on comments from an agent who took the time to reject me with extremely detailed suggestions. As much as I hated to admit it, I sort of agreed with the general direction of her insights. I'm in the middle of adding a plot line and new sections to every chapter from a new narrator. I can already see that the new material is really enlarging and enriching the book. It's actually becoming the book I was always hoping it would be when I started but had lost touch with.

By contrast, I got a very different comment from a dream agent who fell in love with my first chapter at a workshop. But after reading the full, she told me my rotating POVs weren't working, felt self-conscious, and that it was killing the momentum. Had I gone down that road of revisions, my novel would be nothing like I wanted it to be. All the POVs matter. Funnily enough, my addition of a narrator is addressing the momentum concern.

I don't intend to highjack your thread here; I'm just giving you some food for thought about your own revision comments. We work so hard on finalizing the manuscript and then on finding an agent that it can sometimes be hard to keep perspective. It's your book and your vision, and I think it's really important to go with the agent who really 'gets' it and gets you. Just my two cents.

Good luck!!

bunderful
11-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Everyone has good points and they are all valid!!! Two more days until decision time...

Corinne Duyvis
11-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Good luck. Decisions like these are seriously tough. I hope you'll settle on a decision your gut and common sense can agree on!

bunderful
12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
So, I received another offer of rep. on Wednesday night and I think I have made my decision. The best part is that the agent doesn't think my work is perfect. She thinks it's nearly there and wants to work on some small revisions together. We had a great conversation and I'm really happy. I'll announce officially when I can. Thanks everyone for your input and advice. It was invaluable.

eqb
12-02-2011, 04:23 PM
So, I received another offer of rep. on Wednesday night and I think I have made my decision. The best part is that the agent doesn't think my work is perfect. She thinks it's nearly there and wants to work on some small revisions together. We had a great conversation and I'm really happy. I'll announce officially when I can. Thanks everyone for your input and advice. It was invaluable.

Congrats! What a wonderful quandary you had. I'm glad you found an agent you clicked with. Am looking forward to the official announcement so I can congratulate you all over again. *g*

SquareSails
12-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Bunderful, I just wanted to add my congratulations.

Quickbread
12-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Congratulations, bunderful! Glad you found a fit you're happy with.

ohthatmomagain
12-03-2011, 03:14 AM
that is awesome :) It is terrific that you had a choice. What an amazing few weeks you have had :)

Jolly-Boo
12-03-2011, 04:14 AM
3 agents who want you ... that's quite awesome. Gratz =D

Paul
12-03-2011, 04:27 AM
congrats.

do ask prospective agents as many Q's as you wish. it's a decision you'll be 'stuck' with for a while.

congrats again.

bunderful
12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Just updating this to let everyone know that I officially signed with Melissa Sarver of The Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency yesterday. She was one of my top choices and one of the first agents I ever queried...and even though she originally rejected my manuscript, she read my revision and decided to offer rep. once I had another offer on the table too.

It was easy to decide to sign with Melissa, not just because she was one of my top choices, but because I had one agent offering rep. telling me my work was perfect and then four that wanted major revisions, and Melissa came in just in the middle. She had some small changes she wanted me to make, and she felt that my novel was "almost there". In the end, it was really easy to decide!

Thanks everyone for all your input here and I wish all of you the best of luck with your own journeys to publication!

Perks
12-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Wonderful news, bunderful. Your cool-headedness will serve you well.

Congratulations and may the next phase be swift and thrilling for you!

sknipper
12-15-2011, 05:33 PM
That's great news! I'm so happy for you! Please keep us posted.

Corinne Duyvis
12-15-2011, 05:45 PM
WIN! Congratulations! :D

aruna
12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Huge congratulatios - sounds like you made the right choice!

bunderful
12-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Thank you! It's so exciting. Just when you think it's never going to happen...and then it happens!!!

stormie
12-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Thank you! It's so exciting. Just when you think it's never going to happen...and then it happens!!!
Exactly. :) Congratulations!

Susan Littlefield
12-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Congratulations! :partyguy::Hug2:

Quickbread
12-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Yay! Wonderful, bunderful!!

C0g
12-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Congrats! Enviable situation to be in. Best of luck with your book.

LilGreenBookworm
12-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Congratulations!!

MysteryRiter
12-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Woot! Woot! Wishing you the very best!

JSSchley
12-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Congrats!

SBibb
12-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Congratulations and good luck! :-D