Problems uploading books to Kindle this weekend

incognito

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Is anyone else experiencing this? Or is it just me. I have been trying to upload a short story to Kindle this weekend. The html file wouldn't work and a conversion to mobi doesn't work either. It views fine on my own systems. I get the error:

"An unexpected error occurred. We have been notified and will look into it as soon as we can. Meanwhile, please try again in a few minutes. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Got this today and yesterday.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I was able to upload yesterday (and it's up today, actually). I didn't upload HTML directly, though? I put my cover and my html in a zip file and uploaded the zip, and had no problems. Could you try that? Worth a shot.

incognito

Registered
Reaction score
I tried uploading a zip file - I got a "conversion error - try again after some while".

I also tried today an html file and a .mobi file and got the original error message.

If it's a problem at my end, I can't for the life of me think what as the file opens fine in a web browser.

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net
I tried uploading a zip file - I got a "conversion error - try again after some while".

I also tried today an html file and a .mobi file and got the original error message.

If it's a problem at my end, I can't for the life of me think what as the file opens fine in a web browser.
That kind of thing makes me want to :e2thud:

vlindahl

Write like mad, edit like hell.
Registered
Reaction score
HTML did not work well for me, so I converted it to epub using a program called Sigil, and mobi using a program called Calibre. The final formatting on Amazon was spot on, exactly like what I saw at home. Active TOC and everything.

These programs are free, but I kicked a donation to each of them because they work so well.

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net
Anyone using Mobipocket Creator? Also, I have gotten the impression that Smashword will produce formats for the major e-pub platforms. Correct?

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
I used the Mobipocket Creator and had no problems.

Is your book properly formatted? Is the cover in a suitable size? If you are including a Table of Contents, is it properly formatted?

Incorrect formatting can result in your error. A good place to go for answers is the KDP Formatting forum.

Brian January
http://amzn.com/B005WM0HN6

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net

Is your book properly formatted? Is the cover in a suitable size? If you are including a Table of Contents, is it properly formatted?

Incorrect formatting can result in your error. A good place to go for answers is the KDP Formatting forum.

Brian January

That is good to hear, Brian! Thanks! And the KDP Forum is a good resource, as you mention.
I get the impression that a table of contents isn't necessary for straight fiction (unless you want to get "fancy"). True/false?

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
There are a number of discussions on the forum about the inclusion of the TOC for fiction. The general consensus seems to be that if you have a detailed chapter description TOC (like chapter titles or locations), then it's a good marketing tool for potential buyers, but if you just have "Chapter One", "Chapter Two", etc., then there's no useful point to it, except to make it easier for readers to scroll directly to the start of a chapter. But it's already pretty easy to navigate through a Kindle and the TOC causes a lot of people upload problems, so it's up to you.

I hope it works for you!

Brian January
http://amzn.com/B006QCZF3S

Last edited:

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net
Thanks for the tips, Brian!

There are a number of discussions on the forum about the inclusion of the TOC for fiction. The general consensus seems to be that if you have a detailed chapter description TOC (like chapter titles or locations), then it's a good marketing tool for potential buyers, but if you just have "Chapter One", "Chapter Two", etc., then there's no useful point to it, except to make it easier for readers to scroll directly to the start of a chapter. But it's already pretty easy to navigate through a Kindle and the TOC causes a lot of people upload problems, so it's up to you.

I hope it works for you!

Brian January

Jason E Thummel

Registered
Reaction score
It might also be worth a mention that you can make a ToC with hyperlinks within the book, so that the reader can jump straight to the About the Author section, or Other Works by the Author section, if you've included those.

So even if your chapters are only numbered, there might be other considerations with regard to going to the trouble of creating a ToC.

Just a thought, and good luck.

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net
It might also be worth a mention that you can make a ToC with hyperlinks within the book, so that the reader can jump straight to the About the Author section, or Other Works by the Author section, if you've included those.

So even if your chapters are only numbered, there might be other considerations with regard to going to the trouble of creating a ToC.

Just a thought, and good luck.

Thanks for that suggestion! I am going to have to re-read the Smashwords section on how to get the MS Word doc TOC properly configured.

incognito

Registered
Reaction score
I sent an email to Amazon about this - they replied!:

"I'm sorry for the trouble you had while trying to upload your book file. Our technical team is aware of this problem and are working hard to fix it as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience while we fix this problem."

No idea what the technical problem is, but it seems to be their end. Weird that others weren't effected when I was.

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net
HTML did not work well for me, so I converted it to epub using a program called Sigil, and mobi using a program called Calibre. The final formatting on Amazon was spot on, exactly like what I saw at home. Active TOC and everything.

These programs are free, but I kicked a donation to each of them because they work so well.

Thanks for the tip!

incognito

Registered
Reaction score
Another update on this. I replied to Amazon after a couple of days still without no joy. I was starting to wonder if they had just fobbed me off with a standard reply, as it seemed no one else was having trouble. They now say:
[FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]I'm very sorry for any frustration this issue has caused. We'll need a little time to look into the trouble that you are having while trying to upload your book file. We will contact you with more information by the end of the day on Tuesday, November 29.
Thanks for your patience."

The plot thickens! At least it seems there is a genuine problem that genuine experts are genuinely looking into.

(yes, I use Calibre to convert to other formats after creating an HTML. It's a good program)

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Sorry you are having trouble. I uploaded a file last night and it seemed to go through without a hitch. I use Word, convert to HTML and then use Mobi Pocket. That's the format I've done with each of my books and it has seemed to work well. Hope the glitch gets fixed soon. Frustrating not to be able to get your book uploaded and have to wait even longer for an answer as to why.

Sherrie Cronin

imagining doing the impossible
Registered
Reaction score
Website
46ascending.org
Uploaded one yesterday and it went without a hitch -- and then I had to re-upload it this morning because of a dumb mistake and it went fine again. The only issue is that my imbedded images did not go with my text. I suspect that is user error, not a kindle issue, as this is my first time doing this.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com

The last three things I uploaded to Kindle I used the Mobipocket Creator, all with no problems.

Tonight I uploaded a long novel. After saving it as filtered html, I saw that they say that file can be uploaded. So that's what I did. It loaded fine, and should appear for sale sometime tomorrow morning.