Status
Not open for further replies.

D.M.Drake

Working hard, loving every second!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kourageouskidsstorybooks.com
So I browse through friends and friends of friends writing on Amazon. I like to help support fellow writers by buying their work. (If it is something I tend to enjoy reading)

I found a book which is full of error after error. Everything from grammar issues to incorrect word choice and spelling.

Now I sent them a kind message warning them, since if I were to put out a book full of errors I'd prefer someone tell me. Then I became worried that I am being 'myself.'

Nosy. Rude. Intrusive. I honestly only wanted to help, I had no malicious intent, but did I go too far? Should I have left it alone? They had eight reviews, seven were 5 star, one 4 star.

So now I am feeling self doubt and am thinking I am a troll. Or I am being over critical. What would YOU have done?

Deleted member 42

Don't Do This.

If you really must, send a note saying I liked X and Y and thought R was funny. And then, casually say, if you reissue/do a hardcover, let me know and I'll proof it for you.

But even that is fraught with danger.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you shouldn't be surprised that there are a lot of four and five-star reviews of that book on Amazon. Inflated reviews are, sadly, rather common.

I like Medievalist's approach to the situation. Or, just offer your honest review on Amazon to counter the inflated reviews. One- or two-star, and say specifically why: lack of editing that kept you from enjoying the book. That will be a useful guide to future readers who might consider this book. And if a person puts her book out there for people to read, she should be prepared for honest reviews. If she hasn't done her work with editing, she needs to expect that eventually the honest reviews will come along, sooner or later.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Unfortunately, you shouldn't be surprised that there are a lot of four and five-star reviews of that book on Amazon. Inflated reviews are, sadly, rather common.

I like Medievalist's approach to the situation. Or, just offer your honest review on Amazon to counter the inflated reviews. One- or two-star, and say specifically why: lack of editing that kept you from enjoying the book. That will be a useful guide to future readers who might consider this book. And if a person puts her book out there for people to read, she should be prepared for honest reviews. If she hasn't done her work with editing, she needs to expect that eventually the honest reviews will come along, sooner or later.

I just worried that it is none of my business, but I would want someone to tell me quietly. You bring up the point that the reader may download it based on the great reviews and be upset. I didn't even consider that.

Urg, I hate being the bad guy, but I don't know which action makes me the bad guy. Walk away and let them make a fool of themselves? Post a negative review for the world to see? Or warn them quietly (which I did) and expect a fury filled backlash? (which I do expect)

I guess it isn't my responsibility to 'save them from themselves' (wise words of a friend.)

Deleted member 42

I just worried that it is none of my business, but I would want someone to tell me quietly. You bring up the point that the reader may download it based on the great reviews and be upset.

I'd be really happy--but I'm incapable with respect to spelling, and always ask Someone Else to proof my writing for me.

I am, frankly, an odd outlier. Most people seem to think pointing out the odd speelinggggg or typo issue as an assault on human dignity.

Newbie authors are especially sensitive.

And I should note that it is not even a little rare for typos to creep in post galleys/eArcs.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't really understand the deal here- is this a self-published book that this person has the option of taking down and fixing?

If it was me, yes I would like to be told, and privately, if it was something I could do something about. Otherwise, it would probably just make me feel bad.

Since it's done, and your intentions were good, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But especially since you seem to be having self doubt over it, maybe think about it more beforehand next time. Keep us posted and good luck with it. :)

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'd have walked away, because there are more terrible books out there than I have the energy to review. It's not the initial review writing, but the ragedrama it causes. It's draining and I'd rather read another book. However, if you feel you can handle all that, a public review is the most productive thing, as it warns other readers that the book wasn't pooped out by a unicorn.

A private message to the author will get the negative reaction without any positives. I don't think it's trollish or wrong to send such a message, so don't beat yourself up over it, but I don't think it'll do any good either.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
It's a tough one. Nobody likes getting criticism, whether privately or in a public review. If the writer has a grown-up, professional attitude, they won't come back at you with teeth and claws at the ready, but who knows if they do have that attitude? Fingers crossed!

As for which form is better, private, or public, well both have their advantages and disadvantages for you and for the writer. A public review means everyone is seeing it, but it also means the writer's under no obligation to reply to it - and in fact really shouldn't! That just leads to disaster in the end, usually. But with a private note they (well I would) feel obliged to reply. Even if they are a thick-skinned person who'd never rant at you for you criticism they'll find it hard not to get at least a bit defensive.

I think for me, it might depend on the story itself. If it was awful in every way, terrible story, awful writing, ridiculous characters etc, I probably wouldn't bother with a review or feedback. If it's on a site that has samples/excerpts available I'd trust the potential readers out there to check those and judge for themselves.

On the other hand, if the story had some positives as well as negatives, I'd feel more inclined to say something. And I'd point out the positives too, like say the story was pretty good, but let down by the grammatical and other technical issues. To me, that's more helpful to someone who's got potential, but still has some issues to work on.

FrederickCross

Registered
Reaction score
While I can't comment on the etiquette part of the dilemma, I can say that I would certainly like to know about it myself. Of course, I would probably like to get an email or something and not a comment on, say, Amazon itself.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks guys, there are a lot of good points here. I have heard nothing back from my e-mail yet. As soon as I do I will post here and keep everyone updated.

Some notes, Yes it is e-published, they could fix it.
Yes, there is a sample, but I personally don't always read them if A) a friend recommends it, B) It has stellar reviews, C) I know/have been the authors beta reader. This one was A and B, the only reason I read the sample is because it is a genre I don't typically read, so I wanted to see if I could get into it.
If I missed anything please forgive me, I am sick. lol

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'd like someone to tell me. I had a crit group who told me how much they loved my book, but didn't bother mentioning any errors that I obviously missed. When anyone I know reads my work the first thing I say is "honestly, tell me if you see anything that sucks, is misspelled, or looks weird."

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
i guess for me, it would be a sort of "the horses are already out of the gate" thing....

you can't help folks who don't want help, and being the gift of hindsight often leads to bad things...

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
A write pal of mine self-published a book that was edited but still full of horrible errors. I told my pal what I liked about the book, but I did not say what I did not like.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Still no response, but I am still nervous. The waiting is the worst part I think. Am I going to open my mail to hatred? Or are they going to be okay with me nicely telling them there were errors? I am tearing out my hair. I should have left well enough alone.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'd appreciate it, if that helps any :) If they can fix it, I think it's an important thing to tell them. If not, like with a print book, that's a bit different, imho.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
UPDATE. I got a letter back. It was wonderful!

no problem...thanks.
Actually sent it in for another edit. The first edit wasnt as tight as i had hoped for. So i really do appreciate that you provided feedback. Dont be a stranger. -Name withheld.

That went really well in my opinion. He saw the errors, pulled it to fix them and thanked me. :)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

no problem...thanks.
Actually sent it in for another edit. The first edit wasnt as tight as i had hoped for. So i really do appreciate that you provided feedback. Dont be a stranger. -Name withheld.

That went really well in my opinion. He saw the errors, pulled it to fix them and thanked me. :)

Wow, that was about as good as could be expected!

But ... I think you were probably lucky not to get an overly sensitive person. Not sure I would recommend doing that again.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wow, that was about as good as could be expected!

But ... I think you were probably lucky not to get an overly sensitive person. Not sure I would recommend doing that again.

I don't plan to. I am often a leap before thinking person. I saw something I personally would not want my name on and felt bad they didn't see the errors. I wanted to help. Of course there is one person I wouldnt want to anger.
http://wiki.fandomwank.com/index.php/Nicky_the_Goth

lol

notyourchambermaid

Not a fish
Registered
Reaction score

no problem...thanks.

Yay! I think it makes a big difference if they have control over it and can make changes.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Now we are chatting, he asked if I'd like to proof after his editor finishes. I just made an honest Beta friend out of it. He says everyone tells him it is good, no constructive criticism. Nice, he is a sweet guy!

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
If you don't mind a shameless plug for my blog I actually went on a tear about this last month. A fantasy writer in my home town was arrested for allegedly running a $3 million scam. It caught my attention and so I looked up his book on Amazon and started going through his reviews and found out a number of them repeated the same language and most of the 4 and 5 start reviewers seemed to have created accounts just to review his book, and apparently his other books.

I went searching through other fantasy e-books and every self-published book I found had sketchy reviews. Honestly, I think 80 to 90 percent of the book reviews on Amazon aren't "honest."

If you want to read the blog...
http://www.mattunedited.com/2011/10/so-when-i-saw-headline-marietta-science.html

I have a number of friends who have published books and I don't review their books and wouldn't expect them to review mine.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you don't mind a shameless plug for my blog I actually went on a tear about this last month. A fantasy writer in my home town was arrested for allegedly running a $3 million scam. It caught my attention and so I looked up his book on Amazon and started going through his reviews and found out a number of them repeated the same language and most of the 4 and 5 start reviewers seemed to have created accounts just to review his book, and apparently his other books.

I went searching through other fantasy e-books and every self-published book I found had sketchy reviews. Honestly, I think 80 to 90 percent of the book reviews on Amazon aren't "honest."

If you want to read the blog...
http://www.mattunedited.com/2011/10/so-when-i-saw-headline-marietta-science.html

I have a number of friends who have published books and I don't review their books and wouldn't expect them to review mine.

Good point! And it's not shameless if you blogged about this instance. I'd love to read it! Thank you :)

Promethean Dreams

Registered
Reaction score
I think you did the right thing. I am getting so frustrated with people telling me my writing is wonderful. I have poor grammar and I know this. If I put something on Amazon and it had a lot of errors I would want someone to tell me. I had a friends wife edit one of my stories for me. She has a masters in English. I found so many small errors in my story after she edited it. What if this person paid someone to edit their book and didn't realize the person did a poor job. When you have bad grammar its hard to know if the editor knows what they are doing. I think you did the right thing.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think you did the right thing. I am getting so frustrated with people telling me my writing is wonderful. I have poor grammar and I know this. If I put something on Amazon and it had a lot of errors I would want someone to tell me. I had a friends wife edit one of my stories for me. She has a masters in English. I found so many small errors in my story after she edited it. What if this person paid someone to edit their book and didn't realize the person did a poor job. When you have bad grammar its hard to know if the editor knows what they are doing. I think you did the right thing.

Thank you :) I just know a lot of people are very touchy about their work. Criticism hurts.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Okay, maybe I'm a big meanie, but . . . if you paid money for the book, you have the right to leave an honest review. I don't know why you felt bad.

I did my best with my books, but errors still slip through. I've asked all my friends to please let me know of any they find so that I can correct them.

But anyone who pays for my work has the right to complain about anything that bothers them, publicly, whether it's errors or matters of taste. No one should feel guilty about leaving an honest review.

In my opinion, only reviews that make assumptions about and attacks on the author personally, or reviews that are dishonest (didn't read the book, etc.) cross the line.

Good for your acquaintance for realizing he or she needed some professional editing. But you should not have felt bad, even if it hadn't turned out well. Fair and accurate criticism of a product you purchased is not inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.