PDA

View Full Version : I'm done with revising my novel but. . .

bkwriter
11-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Okay, so here's the thing. I've been going to a writers group for 2 years and revised my book with them but now that we have finished they suggested I rewrite part one to flow better but they loved the story of part 2.

ie, the charcters start out at 20 in p1 and then are 30 in p2. Cut the gap to three yrs so that the ya readers will still want to read.
I'm told 20 yrs don't want to read about 30's and vise versa.

I've been thinking about it and I do like there suggestions but should I send some out and see if I get a respons or. . .

I know it has to be up to me. I'm just thinking out loud.

Have any of you gone through the same?
Any advice would be great, thanks.

Nick

thothguard51
11-20-2011, 08:46 AM
If you are writing YA then no, most of your readers are not going to want to read about 30 somethings.

If you are writing adult material, then its fine...

kaitlin008
11-20-2011, 08:52 AM
If the characters start out at age 20, it's extremely unlikely that it's YA to begin with. But if your betas are in agreement about a large change like that, it's definitely something to give heavy consideration. Of course, I haven't read your story so I can't really advise on whether you should or shouldn't do a large rewrite, but since you seem to like the suggestion, I would absolutely not start querying yet. Not until you feel completely confident in what you're sending out.

Cyia
11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
ie, the charcters start out at 20 in p1 and then are 30 in p2. Cut the gap to three yrs so that the ya readers will still want to read.

This isn't YA. Even if you cut it to a 3 year gap, it isn't YA. They're too old to start with.

Drachen Jager
11-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I just wanted to chime in on the "done revising" bit with a resounding HA!

shaldna
11-20-2011, 01:38 PM
This isn't YA. Even if you cut it to a 3 year gap, it isn't YA. They're too old to start with.

This,

YA is usually confined to the teenage years. Most YA doesn't even get as old as 18 or 19

bkwriter
11-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks a lot Jager. Lol. Thanks for letting me know this isn't ya because in my mind it has always been uf. Ok, I'll see what I can do.
Thanks everyone.

Zombie Kat
11-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Can I add that you shouldn't listen to too much that your writing group suggests unless they are better writers than you are. Otherwise you may end up rewriting things that don't need fixing. If you read their work and want to write like them, then listen; if you don't, consider their suggestions but only do them if they make perfect sense to you.