An observation I made to my wife about Twilight Eclipse and men with no shirts and wolves

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
My wife was watching Twilight Eclipse today on cable. She likes the Twilight movies, but has not read the books. I have no interest in either, so I have not seen more than a few seconds of any of the movies.

She pointed out that a lot of the male characters didn't have their shirts on in Eclipse. I said, what about the women? Are there female werewolves, too? She said yes. I said, doesn't it stand to reason that the women--who, when in human form are wearing clothes--would also be topless? I mean, doesn't that make sense?

I also asked if, when they turn into wolves, do they still wear pants? If not, then where are their pants?

And since all their clothes seem to disappear when they change into wolves, why even wear clothes at all in human form? I mean, the men are standing around in blue jeans and no shirts like a bunch of firefighters posing for a calendar, why would they even bother? Since they're all werewolves and vampires, and therefore nonhuman, do they even care about modesty when they're among their own kind?

Is this explained in the book someplace? Maybe near the back?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
also, how did the Dr Banner/ Incredible Hulk manage to keep his pants onduring the transformation? always.

At least in the TV series.

Not ,that, em... - well basically I just found, well, from a logical point of view - it just seemed.

oh, nevermind.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay fine, I'll bite. They take their clothes off before they change into wolves, unless they have to change in a hurry, in which case their clothes get shredded into tiny little pieces from the "explosion." (Do you realize how silly I feel writing this?)

They're NOT werewolves. They're shape shifters. (Duh. ;)) They live mostly human lives and only need to use their shape shifting abilities when vampires are around (so they can kill them with their sharp teeth). They have as much modesty as anyone else. Nice try, though with the shirtless woman argument.

Incredible Hulk question? Not a clue. That show is dumb, unlike Twilight :roll:

Paul

Banned
Reaction score

:roll:X 2.

Still I do agree the whole shirtless women thing is seriously underdeveloped in Twilight (I would imagine. I could only watch it for 40 seconds or so. Ouch. Strictly for Teens)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
You people are being unfair. I "watched" the first 2 movies (they were free on a movie channel). With my thumb on the fast-forward button, they were almost bearable.

The first movie had one funny-well acted moment. It did! You might have missed it, so I'll describe it:

When Edward shows up in bio lab and is partnered with Bella, he has this visceral reaction to her scent or whatever--looks like he's gonna puke and moves his chair away from her. She gives him a :Wha: look and then sniffs her hair in an "I'm sure I showered this morning" movement.

See? That was funny! The movie went rapidly downhill after that, tho.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com

Not really. That show was played with a deep sense of tragedy, that David Banner had to spend every day struggling to keep the monster within contained, hoping to control his anger and emotions lest he turn into the Hulk. The TV show with Bill Bixby focused mostly upon David Banner's struggles as he tried to find a place to fit in as he roamed the country, taking odd jobs, on the run from someone, I can't remember who, a cop or a reporter, so in that regard it had many elements of The Fugitive.

The superhero aspects were downplayed for the humanistic elements. It was a very well written.

D.M.Drake

Working hard, loving every second!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kourageouskidsstorybooks.com
You people are being unfair. I "watched" the first 2 movies (they were free on a movie channel). With my thumb on the fast-forward button, they were almost bearable.

The first movie had one funny-well acted moment. It did! You might have missed it, so I'll describe it:

When Edward shows up in bio lab and is partnered with Bella, he has this visceral reaction to her scent or whatever--looks like he's gonna puke and moves his chair away from her. She gives him a :Wha: look and then sniffs her hair in an "I'm sure I showered this morning" movement.

Agree ^

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not really. That show was played with a deep sense of tragedy, that David Banner had to spend every day struggling to keep the monster within contained, hoping to control his anger and emotions lest he turn into the Hulk. The TV show with Bill Bixby focused mostly upon David Banner's struggles as he tried to find a place to fit in as he roamed the country, taking odd jobs, on the run from someone, I can't remember who, a cop or a reporter, so in that regard it had many elements of The Fugitive.

The superhero aspects were downplayed for the humanistic elements. It was a very well written.

I was pretty young when the show was on tv. It scared me a little, but at the end, when David walked down the road all alone with that song playing...I cried every time. I wanted to be his friend. Yeah, very well written.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com

I haven't seen the movie, have no interest in doing so, but I know what part you're talking about. Here's a spoof of Buffy VS. Edward, and it has his reaction to Buffy's (Bella's) smell in there, and it made me laugh. Actually, the whole thing made me laugh.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Because the overlords of cinema aka the MPAA will give them an NC17 that's why.

Probably the honest truth, unfortunately.

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if the female shapeshifters wouldn't walk around topless in human form before, why would that change just because they can become wolves? Besides, just because we don't see it, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I mean, we don't see Bella wipe her ass, but I bet she does. God, I hope she does...

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
The women aren't topless because Twilight is supposed to appeal to women, not men. Thus all the insanely beautiful man flesh. I'm sure in the Twilight universe the women do go topless. They would have no choice because if they are still wearing clothes when they transform their bras and tops would explode. We the audience do not get to see the boobies though because Twilight is all about women drooling over the men and if they showed some bouncing werewolf female boobies that would be considered indecent or something because women should never go topless don't you know.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Shrug* I read the books, though it's been years, and I think I remember Jacob removing his pants and tying them to his leg so he'd have them later. :D

The werewolves also have extraordinarly high body temperatures for some reason, so they're hot all the time -- another justification for not wearing clothes. ;)

kdesanges

Registered
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, and it's been a while, Jacob mentioned something about this in one of the books. They would turn around and give her privacy when they phased back to human form. Since she was the only girl, the rest of the pack was a little embarrassed for her. I guess it was something they didn't bother to address in the movie.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
also, how did the Dr Banner/ Incredible Hulk manage to keep his pants onduring the transformation? always.

Not ,that, em... - well basically I just found, well, from a logical point of view - it just seemed.

oh, nevermind.

Can you imagine Hulk nekkid?

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
When I saw the movie this weekend, it starts with a scene of Jacob taking his shirt off. All the girls cheered. Then later Edward undressed and again, the women cheered (Although not as loud!)

Then there's a scene where Bella disrobes. You don't see much, but one lone dude in the audiance let out a deep throated Yeah!

I laughed my ass off!

MrRuff

Call me Brett. Or Lord Xch'tautl.
Registered
Reaction score
Because the overlords of cinema aka the MPAA will give them an NC17 that's why.

Probably the honest truth, unfortunately.

Ironically, not. If they had them nude the whole time, even if they show everything, that would be "natural nudity." At least here in England, the BBFC allows natural nudity in PGs.

They might try and argue it's not natural nudity, though, if it's shown often enough.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

oh, nevermind.

The creators were like, "Yo, who wants to see that? He has to keep them on!" That's the truth. They knew it wasn't possible, but they didn't want to draw that.