Received an offer, can I ask them for one week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Three Fish

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just got my first ever offer for representation. She sent an email and asked me to let her know if I would like to work with them, so we can have a phone call and look at the contract.

Is it okay to ask for one week to tell the other agents who have my full? I really like this agent, but I'd like to sleep on the decision and see if any others are interested as well.

This is what I have drafted. Is it professional/acceptable?

Thank you very much! My full manuscript is still out with several agents -- could I take one week to let them know and then get back to you with my final decision?

I'm afraid they could redact their offer or something

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give you time to settle things with other agents. You're asking them for nothing more than the opportunity to be courteous to their colleagues. If they do redact their offer, then they wouldn't be an agent *I'd* want to be represented by.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
from what i understand, that's absolutely standard, and any agent who would take back their offer because you want a week to consider is not worth having.

though it does seem that most people usually have the phone call and then take the week to alert and decide (i think?). i could be wrong about that; it just seems to be the way most of the stories go.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but I would go ahead with the phone call and tell her during the call. If you get another offer, you will want to be able to compare terms, sales and agents. You can do that best if you have already chatted with this agent.

Congratulations!!

Three Fish

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both! Very helpful :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just got my first ever offer for representation. She sent an email and asked me to let her know if I would like to work with them, so we can have a phone call and look at the contract.

Is it okay to ask for one week to tell the other agents who have my full? I really like this agent, but I'd like to sleep on the decision and see if any others are interested as well.

This is what I have drafted. Is it professional/acceptable?

I'm afraid they could redact their offer or something

Notifying other agents (not only with fulls or partials, but even those you've only queried and not heard back from) is standard practice. A one week to 10 day period is perfect. Definitely tell the offering agent that you're notifying the others; if she retracts the offer, she's likely not worth working with.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
I would request a phone call to see if you share the same vision for the work, etc., and then during that phone call, assuming you still like the agent, request 1-2 weeks to notify other agents who have the manuscript. It's a standard request, and if the agent balks at either the interview or the delay, she's not worth having.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
What everyone else said :). And congrats!!

Three Fish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'm probably being paranoid, but I just want to ask a quick question.

I emailed back last night saying thank you for the offer and that I was interested. I asked if they'd be available to speak on the phone.

I haven't heard back since! Is it normal for agents to make an offer and then disappear for a day? I know they're super busy though :) Let me know if this sounds okay

czig

Wait--did I just say that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolziogas.com
Assuming you're in the US, it's probably because everyone has gone on holiday. I know that's what happened to several people I needed to contact today!

Thanks everyone! I'm probably being paranoid, but I just want to ask a quick question.

I emailed back last night saying thank you for the offer and that I was interested. I asked if they'd be available to speak on the phone.

I haven't heard back since! Is it normal for agents to make an offer and then disappear for a day? I know they're super busy though :) Let me know if this sounds okay

Three Fish

Registered
Reaction score
Assuming you're in the US, it's probably because everyone has gone on holiday. I know that's what happened to several people I needed to contact today!

Ohhhh! That explains everything -- thank you !! :) So I should expect to wait about a week to hear back?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I would request a phone call to see if you share the same vision for the work, etc., and then during that phone call, assuming you still like the agent, request 1-2 weeks to notify other agents who have the manuscript. It's a standard request, and if the agent balks at either the interview or the delay, she's not worth having.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to say that you don't request 1-2 weeks; you tell her you'll get back by X date (politely, of course).

Do take into account the holidays in your deadline.

This is your career, and the author-agent relationship is an equal partnership, so you have every right to make the decision that's best for you.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
as above (ps, congrats)

Status
Not open for further replies.